admission in abudhabi schools

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Abu Dhabi' started by Sumianil, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Sumianil

Sumianil New IL'ite

Hi,

I PLAN TO JOIN MY HUSBAND IN ABUDHABI IN APRIL/ MAY-2010. i HAVE A SON STUDYING IN STANDARD II. I HAVE HEARD THAT ADMISSIONS ARE IN JANUARY, HOWEVER IN INDIA THE ACADEMIC YEAR ENDS IN APRIL ONLY. SO HOW CAN I GO ABOUT FOR THE ADMISSIONS. SHOULD I WAIT IN INDIA TILL APRIL-2010 . PLEASE HELP AND ASLO LET ME KNOW ABOUT SOME GOOD SCHOOLS OF ABUDHABI.

SUMIANIL

2. Arabudupi

Arabudupi Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sumi

Admission forms are distributed from december onwards every year. its not easy to get a seat in the middle of the academic year. however, since your husband is here he could enquire in the schools during this vacation as there might be chances of children taking tc and moving out. SOme of the indian schools are Indian high School, Our Own English School, Sunrise Pvt School ( in mussaffah), Wisdom, Leens etc. If you manage to get admission in any of the schools you can put your son from september onwards. July and august is summer vacation here. All the best and see you soon in abudhabi....

3. mittalsarika

mittalsarika New IL'ite

hi sumi,
    we came to abu dhabi last year in december. i have a son now studing in 3rd standard in sun rise school. we also came in mid session and it was difficult as all school told that they cant give admission in mid session only sun rise has 1 seat that too luckly 1 student was taking tc. our own school told my husband that they will give admission in mid session so we came here in mid session, but after reaching they said no, they dont have seat.
    but at the same time u have to be here at the time of admission with all certificates, then only your son will get admission, as much as i know.

4. sapnavacheri

sapnavacheri New IL'ite

hi sumi
    admission to schools is very difficult here. i have been trying to change my daughter's school from the past 2 yrs but cudn't inspite of me being here all the time. The forms are distributed in dec itself. so ur husband shud enquire with each school and know the dates they are distributed. And reach there early morning say bet 4 and 5, stand in queue and try to be among the first to get the forms. because ur child will get admission on 1st cum 1st serve basis. unless u have some influence in the school. since ur son will be looking for admission in 3rd grade it is difficult. admission to kg-1 is fine but beyond that extremely difficult. i know i am giving a grim picture but that is the case. i have been through this for the past 2 yrs with no luck. try some influence. meet the principal etc. in case u know any teachers working in the school u can get thru' teacher's quota ie if the seats r vacant. admission to medical colleges is easier:). and if by God's grace ur son does get thru' and he is called sometime in jan-feb for the test don't miss the chance, book ur flight and be here on time. attend the test, interview, take admission and go back and return later in april. don't wait for september 2010. start this december itself. if it doesn't happen try in september next year. or u can try moving in september this year itself in case he gets thru' to grade 2 in any school and join ur husband this year itself. so my advice is start trying this august and the moment u get it don't leave it.

5. viveka

viveka Senior IL'ite

totally agree with sapna. school admissions in abudhabi are a nightmare. too few schools for too many indians. atleast you have some schools for the smaller classes. at high school level, only 3 :-(.

it was a cakewalk moving to muscat and doha in december 2000 and jan 2006 where you can get admission to a good school any time of the year and you have a choice of 4-5 schools depending upon where you find a house. moving to abudhabi in dec 2008 was a misery.

since my husband used to work here alternate weeks from doha, right from august, he went around to all the schools so many times. with my daughter being in the 9th then, it was almost impossible to get admission anywhere. finally, st josephs was the only school with 1 place because somebody had just retd to india and we were asked to come and admit her with full RP before christmas break. we ran around in circles and our company processed all our papers in fast forward to make it happen. we then went back to pack up and moved finally.

our colleagues who also got transferred with us in december but opted to move in april after the academic year, flew in here in january for the lottery in indian school, but did not get it. however, since their application was registered and there were a few vacancies in april, they were suddenly asked to go to school and write the entrance test. they did, she passed and she was lucky to get into 8th std there in the 3rd week of april. these schools do not even accept application forms other than in december/january. and if you do hit the jackpot in the lottery at indian school, you have to pay full fees same day, otherwise they allot the seat to the next in the list...

all the best! it is not just indian schools, even the westerners face so much trouble. they sometimes wait 2 years before they get a seat to bring their kids here.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  6. dhavalinst

dhavalinst New IL'ite

Hi ,
    I have recently come to abudhabi for job. My child is studying in std-1 in India in private English medium school. I want to take family here around next year. I know admissons here in abudhabi indian schools start around december last week. Please clear my following queries.

1. At the time of admission , what original documents I will need (i.e. child is there so no L.C. present )
    2. without my child physical presence here , I can take his admission here sure in december & then I will present all documents at the time of new academic term for school
    3. My residency & emirated id has socme but for my child is it mandatory to have his visa at the time of admission
    4. For taking admission in 2nd std, any written test will be given or like any other formalities?
    5. At the time ofg admission, Vaccniation report from doctor is needed or not. if needed then when we have to give to school
    6. Here I have heard that all indian schols have CBSE curriculum so whether is it needed that child studying in india also study there in CBSE or even in private shool curriculum wil not an issue
    7. My child school will finish i april & then i will have to take the child here. Here also school will start in april so there will be overlaping so whether it will be any issue or not a problem.

Kindly reply me of these queries & also more information on scholling like best school, or possible schools in which I will get easy admission, fee structures, other details like to share.

Thnanks,
    Dhaval shah ​

7. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

Hi, sumi
    for academic yr( april 2013-14 march),most of indian cbse schools will be issuing online applications rather than direct registrations.k12 and k10 schools will be issuing their online applications during winter vacations (december2or3rd week) followed by other schools.so u can have better idea just by visiting all the school websites
    certain documents copies like kids, and parents passport and visa , emirates id, birthcertificate assested from india and indian embassy in uae.arecompulsary for getting registered.Noc ,transfer and leaving certificates,marksheet are required only after the admission gets conformed and that too parents are given time for submission till summer vacations.

from past 2yrs admission procedure became complicated even for kg sections.each kid has to attend a writen entrance exam ,if shortlisted then followed by oral interview for the kid and parents with the principal or some head person and then the admission is conformed only if they pay the fees within 2days.so parents hardly get any chance to overthink about shorlisting any schools of their like

8. sukanta

sukanta New IL'ite

certain documents copies like kids, and parents passport and visa , emirates id, birthcertificate assested from india and indian embassy in uae.arecompulsary for gettin gregistered -

Did you mean that during online registration i have to attach all these documents? But the problem is how can I go for residence visa for my family unless i got the confirmation.

9. smiletoday

smiletoday Senior IL'ite

during online registration u need not attach all the documents.for students coming from other countries you can provide emirates id, residence after admission is over.they will give u time for this.

smiletoday.

10. sukanta

sukanta New IL'ite

What is the time gap between the entrance test and admission process?