1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toilets in Schools in India.......

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by adara, May 7, 2010.

1. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ilites:

We are thinking of moving to India. Still in the planning stage. I want to know more about the bathrooms/restrooms in schools in India.
    What kind of toilet is it there? Do they have Indian style or western style toilets there in schools?
    Also, at schools, how is the overall maintenance of the toilets/restrooms?
    My kids will be in class 3 and class 7 this year. They are kind of familiar with the Indian style toilets since they have seen and used at my place when we go for summer vacation.

What are your experiences? Do your children have complaints(if any) about dirty toilets or not? What steps (if any)have you taken with school authority

Please give your inputs which will serve as a guide to me. Thanks a lot.

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Adara,

I too think on similar lines but thought of writing down another perspective...

you know the main issue for kids used to toilets outside India will be the wet factor:( my son goes to a pre-school with only 26 students. the cleaning lady cleans toilet everyday. but still 26 children using constantly does make the toilet dirty at some point of time (there are 2 toilets btw).

when i was in school i rarely used the school toilet. the school that I studied - 2 ayahs used to clean the toilet area (may be they didn't use special toilet cleaning liquids but they made sure the water was wiped out, sanitary napkins disposed etc.,) twice during school hours. but i hated the smell, the general atmosphere. i'm sure in private schools situations are different these days. looking forward to more replies...

Latha

3. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Latha for you response.

Parents of school going kids in India.......please come up and share here.
    I am WAITING!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  4. revs77

revs77 Gold IL'ite

My thoughts exactly. My son can manage the smell but not a wet toilet. Everytime we visit India, toilet is the biggest of our worries. I am also interested in schools in Chennai that have clean, dry toilets. I am giving more importance to toilet than teaching :hide:. Silly me.

Revathi

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Revathi, Adara. That is a huggge issue even for me. Most schools do not have sufficient toilets for the number of children they have on rolls. Toilets, even in the most upmarket schools, are poorly designed. The few I have seen the insides of, do not have a separate washing up area such as sinks. None of them had soaps. I tried not to use the school toilet in the rather "elite" school I went to. The fact that it had 10 toilets per floor - i.e. for around 400 students - itself is a big deal. And in India, wet is clean. i.e. if you have a bathroom that looked like it has been washed out well, it is a big deal. I am not sure how the "international schools" are like. But even small schools with a limited student intake, the toilets have to be improved.

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

oh yes Tikka. i forgot the absence of soap and sink. personal hygiene??? well i still can't understand how wet=clean:( remember you talked about this earlier? somehow for all the water scarcity we face we use more water to pour water and clean homes yet no water where it's most needed:(

Latha

7. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

I have my niece (class 7) who goes to a reputed school in Bangalore and i know that the toilets there are cleant once in an hour. There are western style toilets which are kept very neat and dustbins cleared very often. I have even heard that teenage girls spend more time in the school toilets chitOchatting and doing makeup and my nephew who used to study in the same school used to say about girls spending long time in toilets for which my niece used to say thats the best place where we would not get caught by teachers for chatting.

8. revs77

revs77 Gold IL'ite

maggi,
    May I know the name of the school?

Revathi

9. maggi99

maggi99 Senior IL'ite

Bethany high, Banglore.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi adara, did u move back to India?how is life there?