1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mental Health Awareness in Schools

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by teacher, Mar 5, 2010.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I would like to know parents' experiences (or if you are a teacher) about what kind of help your children get from their schools-especially if they have mental health problems. I am interested in feedback about regular schools which provide accommodations, adapt instructional strategies to help students struggling with attention needs, severe anger/withdrawl, depression, generalized anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, Bipolar, etc.

Do teachers use behavior management techniques? is there access to crisis counselling? I'd appreciate any information.
    Thanks,
    R

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Nothing to share???
    R

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

R,

I read this post of yours. would love to discuss a lot with you. a little busy. will join you soon.

Till then, do discuss with us how do you deal with behavorial problems of children as a parent to help the child better at various stages..as a infant, as a 4 year old, 10 year and 12 year...if i am not asking too much..

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

HI Shavy,

I'll split this up into smaller topics..so the post is not long and rambling.

There are two things to know and remember about behavior-
    1. Learned behaviors are controlled by what happens after the behavior (consequences)
    2. There is a purpose behind every behavior.

When a child engages in a behavior there is an outcome or result-this result can be favorable or unfavorable. For eg, when a young child dances to music for the first time what does everyone around her do? They laugh/smile, clap and encourage her. So the outcome (social recognition) for the behavior (dancing) is favorable.
    Here the outcome encourages the child to do the behavior again.

If the outcome is unfavorable there is no reason for the child to perform the behavior again.

Function:
    The behaviour results in the child
    1. getting
    • material rewards like sweets, toys,
    • social rewards like acceptance into group, attention and
    • intrinsic rewards like rest, satisfaction, success
    2. avoiding/escaping
    • material factors like unfavorable food, tests, homework
    • social factors like teasing, attention, and
    • intrinsic factors like relief, stress
    There will always be other factors which influence a child's behavior-emotional, physical, environemntal, etc. It is also important to look at the child as an individual with his or her own thoughts.

If we look at children's behaviors with these points in mind, it helps us understand them better. It helps us remember when we should let the child be:)

More later.
    Rama

4 people like this.
  5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Rama, I loved your write up here. This goes more or less with my parenting outlook that every tantrum has a reason. It does help me respond more constructively when I realise why my three year old is angry.
    Do schools look at it that way? I am not very sure that even alternative, small schools have that kind of an outlook.
    I am not sure if this is an mental health issue - DS hits himself when he is in a crowd or when there are kids around. I do believe that he has sensory integration issues and am wondering if this violence turned toward self is a way for him to handle the sensory overload.
    This is something that started when DS was admitted in a playschool - we pulled him out later as he had started falling ill way too often and way too seriuosly. Till date, if anyone were to mention school he whacks his head rather hard. I can see a correlation, but I wonder how I should approach this with the new school he will be in from June? Any thoughts.

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Tikka,

Atypical behaviors don't always have to be in correlation with mental health problems. They are just the child's way of asking for help. If we can find the function behind the behavior it is possible to alter the environment or teach the neccessary coping skill.

From what you say it could very well be a sensory need for your son. 1.Does the school give out any package for the parents? (with the timetable, seating, any such information which can help you prepare him for the transition). If not can you contact them and ask to take a picture of the classroom, toys in the classroom (especially his favorite kind), a picture of his teacher-you can make a little booklet with the pictures.
    Are any of the neighbourhood kids going to the same school-any kid he plays with right now? Then you can include his/her picture. At the bottom of each page (with the pic) you an write down a short sentence "This is ...'s teacher Ms. ..." "This is ...'s classroom."
    This will help prepare him for the school year.

2. Can you get a copy of the time table in advance? Is it set up so that there is a calm activity between two active periods? Ask the teacher if she can set up the timetable that way.

3. Can the teacher set up a quiet area in the classroom where your son can sit for a few minutes if he feels too overwhelmed? If the school agrees you have to prepare him though-set up a similar quiet area at home. If you see him get agitated/hit himself say, "If it is too loud for you, go read a book." If it happens when he is outside, "If it is too loud for you, you can sit (point to a safe place slightly away from the group) there." It is a good idea if he has something to do while he is sitting there. The idea is to teach him to recognize his need.

4. How does the first day of school start? Do you drop him off? Stay with him? Is it a full day/half day? Can he start for a partial day and slowly build it up? If there is any direct instruction (I assume he is too young for that) which he misses, you can teach him at home. Can you pair up with the parent of another kid in his class and take them to school together?

5. If he does hit himself in class, can the teacher redirect him very quietly-without drawing attention to his behavior? Use some simple gesture maybe? Ask him to get a drink of water..

6. Can you get an O.T. to do a sensory profile? They go through questionnaires and help you select certain activities which are specific to your child.

7. Swimming lessons-I love this activity-helps all muscle groups in your body and teaches coordination and integration...a fantastic activity for children with any kind of Sensory need.

It isn't a lot of extra work for the teacher really-after the first 2 weeks it will become part of the routine for her/him as well.

Does this answer your question? have I been specific enough? Let me know and I can add more.

1 person likes this.
  7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Rama, thanks for taking the time out to answer my questions. I was looking for schools that will continue/add on to/guide us some more wrt coping skills.
    Most schools don't seem to have a special educator on their staff, but this school has tied up with Vidyasagar for those kids who do have learning issues. I am not sure DS will come in that category - he is currently being homeschooled and is ahead as far as literacy and numeracy goes. Most of what he has learnt, he has learnt himself except for us buying books for him and perhaps reading it to him a couple of times. He just does not enjoy doing play/work that involves fine motor skills. This is going to be an area that I will have to work with the school.
    We have spoken to the school about our concerns and they have promised to keep a watch. Your response gives me more ideas to work with the school. It is a montessori and there is a lot of personal space for the child initially and yes, more than the labeling, I am more interested in helping DS find the coping skills (something I know we, his parents, don't always have).
    It did me immense good to read your post, I am beginning to feel like my approach is not all too totally insane. I hope you dont mind if I were to come back with more questions. As an aside, does anyone do physical therapy and orthopaedic shoes for children who toe-walk predominantly.

8. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi Tikka,
    I have questions...does your son mind if his fingers get messy? Is there any specific texture he doesn't like? As for his walking on his toes, is it on all kinds of floors or is it specific to certain surfaces?

No worries about your questions..

Rama

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Behavior contd...

Whenever a child has a behavioral outburst there are a few things to keep in mind-lower your voice, keep your directions to the minimum and be respectful.

Lowering your voice
    The minute the child's voice goes up, the adult's voice should go down. There are good reasons for this. When the child is upset he/she is trying to gain some degree of control over the situation. Adults sometimes believe that if they raise their voice they an show the child who is in control. By the time the child has an outburst, he/she already knows who is in control-you!

The outburst is one way of seeking some degree of control over the situation and over him/her self. Believe me, after the outburst (tantrum/crying) most children are embarassed at their behavior. It's a good thing not to add to that embarassment by raising your voice-esply in front of others.

Lowering your voice forces the child to lower his voice-he will realize he can't hear what you are saying-he does want to hear you. Maybe you are going to give in! When both your voices are down it's a move towards a calmer state to resolve the issue.

Minimum language (language in this context means directions)
    Crying or yelling occurs at a heightened state of emotion. Imagine all those words pouring into the child's ears at that moment. Do you think he can process all that information? How many of us can listen to someone telling us what to do (and that too loudly) when we are upset?
    Simple directions reduce the confusion at that high strung moment.

Be Respectful
    Being respectful teaches the child that you are not exercising your authority but actually mean well for him-when he calms down he will realize that. There is a greater chance follow your rules without too much trouble the next time. It also helps keep his feeling of self worth intact. As an adult he in turn will treat others with respect even in moments of stress.

This is true for teachers and parents. At the the beginning you have to make a conscious effort to follow these rules (It is easier to tell children what they must do. It is harder for us adults to change our methods:)) The nice thing is that these become second nature in you and there will be a reduction in the number and intensity of the behavioral outbursts.

More later.
    Rama

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    4 people like this.
  10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Rama, my theory is that his sensory issues are very oral. Cant/wont eat lumpy food. Brushing teeth is a major war ;-) somewhat better with an electric brush we bought recently. He will push the brush out with his tongue or clamp down on the bristles. Hates having his face touched and his hair brushed and will constantly complain about anyone touching him. Our paed thinks his gag reflex is still strong. We respect his satiety and texture preference, so really dont go around pushing food he has a problem with. But I clearly see he likes hard food like murukku, chikki, mints, etc.
    I also notice with dusty surfaces/parks/sandpits/beach, he will want his feet cleaned immediately and wearing covered shoes with socks then helps. Today, at a house where they were replacing the floor tiling, K kept rubbing the dust off his feet.
    He likes (read majorly loves) playdough and loves rolling out chapatti dough with us. If it is textural, it is more the sandy, un-uniform texture that he does not like.
    His toe walking is probably genetic - his grandfather, father and his paternal uncle all toe walk into adulthood and have congenital short achilles tendon. And sometimes it all seems to tie up nicely for me with sensory integration disorder that I want some kind of official diagnosis when he is still young and can learn the coping skills easily. My idea is I will start with the toe walking and the oral de-sensitisation (something I can start at home) and push for official diagnosis if he continues to have issues like hurting himself in school. (unfortunately, Dh and I have many parenting disagreements with my in-laws that we are not able to take a very direct approach to a diagnosis. Every one of them is ending with DH explosively losing his temper with his mother. This has been one of the contentious issues, so I am indirectly enlisting the support of my father in law, he is more empathetic given he has those issues himself.)
    p.s. I am struggling with lowering my voice - I do it most of the time but when he is acting out against another child I shout. I need to do a better job of not shouting to quell his protests. Thanks for those pointers.)