1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son asks for surprises - Please suggest

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Vrindavipul, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Vrindavipul

Vrindavipul Bronze IL'ite

My son studies in grade 2. Whenever he comes from school he wants me to keep differnt surprises everday. His this demand troubles me a lot whenever I fail to keep something he starts crying. Then crying-scolding cycle begins. It leaves me exausted. Please suggest me something to tackle this problem.

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Vrinda:

Seriously, it is too much! A boy of 7-8 yrs crying because you need to surprise him everyday!
    He is still small and not understanding how hard it takes for you to keep him happy always. Anyway, I say he is also not that small to throw temper tantrums at you like this if you fail. Giving in to his demands is pampering and spoiling him. Sorry, to be so straight forward.
    This is serious discipline issue and has to be dealt very cautiously. Talk to him first about why he thinks he needs to be surprised and what is so special everyday. Tell him what surprises are meant for and finally be firm and tell that he cannot demand it like this everyday. Explain to him what all you do to make him happy everyday and what you get in return is if some days you cannot make it he throws a tantrum. I think, all this talk will help him see and understand things.Don't yell and shout at him and never hit him to see your point. You will only make him more rebellious.
    We need to raise our kids to face the world in future and no one in this wide world will be as kind as his mom. This is a challenge for all of us when our kids take us for granted but then that is all what parenting is about.

Good luck :thumbsup
    Adara

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Vrinda

My thought would be...ask him as per what his idea his...when he meant he wants surprise...Moreover...if its a daily thing and if he knows there would be something waiting at home ,.,...its not a suprise anymore isnt it??? so explain to him about what does the word surprise actually mean...(Getting something or seeing something unexpectedly...not demanding or crying for it...) if he still persists ask him to talk to his teacher at school and confirm what does surprise mean? and does any of his friends get such surprises daily??? see..kids are all about they tend to cling to something which they love...if they like one candy they want that candy only all the time...might be he liked that idea of being surprised...so he wants it more n more...but again..how come we can call it as a surprise..when he already knows that you would have something at home!

Might be after explaining you still tell him that you would surprise him, but it would be really a surprise...not like a daily thing....you would give a surprise...and you cant tell him when and how or where etc.....(might be you can try to surprise him once in a week with small stuff...either in his school bag / lunch box/snack pack/night before going to bed etc...)

Explain the concept of surprise clearly to him

4. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Maybe he is just asking for a "surprise" to confirm that you thought of him all day.

Does he miss you when he's in school? Is he having issues with other kids? Talk to him and try to find out what the real reason is for him wanting a surprise. If its something edible than maybe you can afford (time and money) it. If its a toy - that's another story. But sit down and talk to him about it first.

5. Vrindavipul

Vrindavipul Bronze IL'ite

Dear Adara,

I don't keep gifts for him everyday. I am strictly against pampering. As you suggested I will talk to him without yelling. Thanks for the concern you showed.

Dear Srividya,

As suggested by Adara also I will try to talk to him and tell him the meaning of surprise. What does this word actually mean and when can he get surprises. Thanks to you.

Hi Manaswini,

Yeah, he do have issues in the school and he misses me. He wants me to work as teacher in his school.He seldom cries for a toy. I will talk to him and will keep in mind that his idea of asking for surprises may be an another idea to confirm himself of my attention. Thanks a lot to you.