1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Corporal punishment in school

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by kavithan96, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kavithan96

kavithan96 New IL'ite

Most of the schools in India continue with corporal punishments. Share your views and experiences.

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Give a life sentence to whoever follows corporal punishment!! PERIOD.

No debates, no arguments, no nonsense to be heard when a child is dealt in such a way. Kids are Kids and they have every right to be mischievous but that doesn't mean we do not correct them as they are the future generation so we need to put them in the right track. But, there are other ways to do it in a much softer and more effective way than the crude,cruel way of handling kids. No one should become a teacher if he/she whole heartedly doesn't like being one. Teaching is no ordinary profession. A teacher can make or break a child's attitude towards life. When such an influence a mentor has on the life of an innocent child, then that is not to be taken lightly or for greed of money.

Ladies, Please join in and pour your views.
    Good one Kavithan

3. kavithan96

kavithan96 New IL'ite

Corporal punishment should be bann in school. In my school days some teachers caned the students in a horrible and humiliating ways such as caning on thigh after lifting the skirt.

4. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Oh the punishment of having to pose like sitting in a chair is the worst for me.My legs used to shiver after sometime and the next 2 days or so legs will pain so much:spin:spin.

5. Manasi

Manasi New IL'ite

Hi,

Still I feel shiver thinking of my school days. During my school days I was in Northern India and Delhi. Most of our teachers punished us severely for mistakes in studies, breaking disciplines, misbehabes and disobedience. Not all of our parents liked it but no one argued with school authority. Many of our parents thought school punishment is necessary. Almost all the teachers carried rattan canes to class room and they carried canes during school time also. They cane us mercelessly to our palms, shoulders, legs, thighs and buttock. Our school dress was Salwar Kameez. Like Kavithan some of our teachers lifted our Kameez and caned our buttock and thighs over Salwar, so humiliating. If our home work was poorly permormed in addition to caning we had to complete that correctly after school periods. Our mother also caned us at home but we didn't feel so panic on my mother as of school.

When I think about those days I feel I'm so lucky now that I'm not a school student now.

Regards

Manasi

6. ritaroy

ritaroy Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

In our time there was school caning. I was lucky I received very less school caning, it was very few times lighter strokes in palm when whole class was caned for making noise. I witnessed humiliating caning in class and assembly. I feel sorry for Kavithan and Manasi. I didn't had the fear on school punishment. But I was caned mercelessly at home by my mother that I outlined in my post Punished at Home (Snippet of Life non fiction section). I had the real fear on my home caning during entire teens.

Kavithan, I would like to say not only school caning, home caning should also be stopped. Many Indian parents continue caning children very hard.

Love

Rita

7. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Corporal punishments should be banned in school.

Class rooms must be monitored thro cameras and teachers who indulge in this should face the law.

Try to achieve thro love and patience not thro harsh violence.

8. rupanti

rupanti New IL'ite

In our time we recived caning as punishment in school and home for non performance in studies, misbehaving etc mostly on palm and leg by rattan cane. Being a teacher I also punished students and kids like that. It is useful. I'm a strong believer of disciplining child.

Rupanti

9. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

hi all
    Each and every teacher aims for the betterment of the child.If the teacher punishes the child ,the child as well as the parent must take it in the right sense.earlier days ,no parent 'll ask anything against the teacher as they know very well the real motive behind the punishment is the true concern of the teacher towards the child.
    of course,We hear some un wanted incidents here and there,but when we go on pampering the child at home as well as school ,final result????/////
    disciplining the child at the right time is very important.
    I favour punishment but not too severe........
    vidyavisu.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  10. Rimabangla

Rimabangla New IL'ite

We're also recived corporal punishment in school and at home during our time. In my place everything was very strict for a child. We recived merceless caning for any mistakes. Personally I don't support school caning there is a great chance of abusing this days.

Cheers

Rima