1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kid cries everyday to go to school :-(

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by imemyself, Jul 8, 2009.

1. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    My son is 3.5 yr old now and its been almost a month since he started school (Junior KG). But everyday morning , he wails so much to go to school. I am a working Mom and hence my parents pack him to school everday.
    I took off a couple of days and dropped him at school, and spoke to his teacher. She said he is good at class and smart at identifying and learning things. When i told her that he cries everyday when starting for school she was surprised because once inside the school gates there is no sign of any sobbing on his face!And she finds no problem with him in class :idea. My Dad also mentioned that as he nears the school gates, he takes the Kerchief , wipes his face and walks inside. It is really sad and heart turns heavy to see the kid doing this! :-(

Please please.... can anyone help me what can i do to make him get adjusted...rather start the day without crying :(

Are there parents who have gone through similar situations? Please let me know what i should do to make him go 'happily' to school.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009

2. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

hi,
    Sorry , i have no advice.. even i am going thro' the same situation.My son is 2.5 years old.i am also working..but i drop him at school everyday ..
    He starts crying as soon as i pick up the uniform..and he cries the whole route and even in school..now i am dropping him to school in normal dress..
    what i figured out for my son's teacher is , he was in playgroup in the same school and for nursery they have changed the class..and also they keep the door closed.. looks like my son does not like that..but everyday he tells me he does not like the school ..:)..may be just checkout in the school if there are any subtle changes in the school..not sure if your son went to the same school prev year...
    ,..teacher feels he should get settled..he needs some more time..so i am also waiting and hoping .:)..so be patient.. hopefully things will be fine in due course
    prabha

3. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Hi Prabha,
    Thanks so much for responding. My son does not cry once inside! I did not send him to any pre-school as such. But did send to a play group once or twice a week..for 2 hrs a day. And in the playgroup it is a must that the parent shld accompany the kid. So i wld b there with him that time! so he enjoyed those classes...! But school...OMG...
    Morning when he gets up..he says "Amma..stomach is paining..i feel like vomiting" ...Excuses to not go to school! :(
    I understnad that this too shall pass...! But still..wanted to share this and get inputs from parents!

Thanks so much Prabha for sharing your thoughts!

4. vidyarp

vidyarp Bronze IL'ite

This is so much similar to my story. My son who is 3.5 years old, is fine at home when he gets ready, even specifies what he would like to carry in his tiffin box and is quite eager in the morning. I drop him to school and leave for work from there. The minute i reach the school gates, he has a weepy look on his face. And when i step inside to leave him, he houls at the top of his voice. He clings to me and cries. I feel so bad. He was going to a play school from the age of 2 years. Even there he took a long time to adjust. And now that he is in a big school, the same exercise is being repeated. and the worst part is he throws up whenever he cries. And every morning, he has been throwing up his milk in the school gate. I feel sad and awful. His teacher says that he is a good boy in class, very keen to learn and participate. I dont know what to do with him.

5. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    I can so much relate to you!! From yesterday(Monday) I have put him in a school van to drop him at school! Yday he did have a very long face when he was taken inside the van.There is a lady who accompanies all the kids to school everyday,in the van. She said he was mum and had a long face, but did not cry. She kept talkin to him but he did not respond. And since there are other kids in the van, he shld be getting used to it. I have decided to rely on the van now:hide: to stop his cryin!

Moreover...now he has come to accept the fact that he cannot escape from school and hence the crying has turned to silence. But I am still not convinced :( He does hesistate to eat and drink milk in the morning and sometimes pukes too! I think it is a phobia which will be combated with the regularity everyday. So i am jus keeping fringers crossed and praying that he gets used to the school van! But he is happy to do his homework..thankfully!

Maybe you can try telling your kid stories abt great men who attended school and how they achieved. My kid loves engines and helicopters. so i talk abt the ppl who invented them and tell him that it is great to learn and invent things. He isnt fully convinced but i believe he does store this somehwere in his mind. Kids are smarter than we think they are! :bonk

6. vinayaka1979

vinayaka1979 Senior IL'ite

First and foremost talk to your son casually and see if he is able to tell you what is bothering him. There are many reasons why a child cries to go to school- maybe he is scared of a bully, he does not like to sit in one place, he misses home. If you find the reason you may be able to comfort him. If you are unable to get info from him I suggest to talk to the teacher and ask permission to volunteer in his class as often as you can. During those sessions observe how he behave and interacts. This may give you a better picture of what is going on. Try to make his morning go as smooth as possible. Children hate being rushed to get ready(especially eating) for school. Be playful and have fun as he gets ready . This will help him relax and alleviate some of his nervousness. Meet some of the other kid's moms and find out how their kids feel about school. you could even arrange for playdates. If he has a couple of good friends i'm sure he'll start loving school.hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  7. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

aww... hugs to the kid... It brought back memories.. I used to do that.. I was so attached to family that I felt they were disowning me (that's what I told it seems).. My personal opinion is that its just a phase.. don't worry...

8. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vinayaka for your inputs!
    But i did try talking to him and his teacher!! the teacher says there are no signs of crying in class and he is very attentive and smart in class!
    For the past one week, now he isnt crying...!
    But everyday morning, he complains of vomiting or stomach ache!
    He says "amma...i feel like vomiting"! But he doesnt vomit though!
    I guess it is a kind of phobia or some fear...that is giving that vomiting feel! :(
    once dressed up and ready ...he knows he 'HAS' to go and hence doesnt complain and starts off!
    But the starting trouble !! i just wish he stops the vomiting complaint! :hide:

9. imemyself

imemyself Senior IL'ite

Oh God :-D
    Thanks ......a lot! I am encouraged!! Yes..this too shall pass!!