1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Doing away with the 10th board exams...?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kapil Sibal’s the new man,the HRD minister, who wants to show his muscle power. Well I suppose he wants to leave his mark as much as Arjun Singh (whose marks still has left so much confusion ). He has started making too much noises about removing exams from cbse board and just have grade systems till the 10<sup>th</sup>.

There have been mixed reviews on the same

So to kickstart the discussion, my question is…
    How will the students move on to plus-one/two courses, without having an exam at the 10<sup>th</sup> standard level. How far can the grading help. Will the grading help the child in coming to a conclusion about the stream/field he should take at the 12<sup>th</sup> level…

When we have so many states, isn’t it a necessity to take into account the differences and the opinions of all the state to come to a consensus on this. There is a rough count of about 30 boards in our country.

Even in the cbse schools, itself, we have many schools following a certain pattern that is way off from what is prescribed by the ncert.

I have personally heard from a teacher that they take special permission from the cbse board to have cycle tests( you cannot have tests upto 5<sup>th</sup>) upto 5<sup>th</sup> .

Agreed, this could be a boon for the children who are already under stress to perform in their tenth examination, and if the child prefers to continue in the same school for the 11<sup>th</sup>/12<sup>th</sup> it may be a blessing. But again the stress factor will show its face when he has to appear for the 12<sup>th</sup> exam, so will we go ahead and again remove the exams.

Sibal’s reasons for proposal, to bring in uniformity, to avoid the number of suicides that are increasing that are related to exams and exam results.. Based on Professor Yashpal’s recommendation, the announcement was made. Though Prof. yashpal, later clarified that he had recommended removal of exams, to reduce the stress on the child and to reduce the thriving tution business.. Prof.Yashpal talks only upto the tenth level, he has skipped the 12<sup>th</sup> level as many states do follow the preuniversity colleges I think…
    As a parent, with a child in 9<sup>th</sup> standard cbse stream, though I breath a sigh of relief, that my daughter will not get stressed to perform, (here the point is that we as parents are very cool about the performance, but the school is very particular), I am worried about what will happen at the 12<sup>th</sup> level in general and also how will the grading be done. When the school does the grading, there are many other considerations that come into play. The anonymity factor that was there during the exams is lost.

I am happy that the exams will be removed, because of a few very bad news that I came to know, very reputed schools that boast of high results have more than 2/3 filtering, one at the 5<sup>th</sup>, another at the 7<sup>th</sup> level and another at the 9<sup>th</sup> level…so if the child did not get the stipulated above 75, the parent was asked to look out for another school ruthlessly…this ofcouse is not only in cbse, the same pattern is seen in state board schools. .

I personally feel, a stipulated case study taking a few schools into account has to be done before the proposal gets approval..because a rollover from the new to the old system is definitely going to leave a sour taste in most of the our mouths ….
    Looks like a good subject for debate…

What do you say…

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009

2. revathijayagopi

revathijayagopi Gold IL'ite

First the govt should make a single board system for the whole nation. this way every student will be judged equally. and after xii board exam there should be a common entrance exam for all university in the country so that any student can apply to any university and he or she will be given admission based on merit. In the present situation this is more important than scrapping xth board exam.the stress that student goes through, when after passing xiith board exam with good results they don't get admission in the college of their choice, is more than what the students of xth standard face.

revathi

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

REvathi,

thanks for stepping in.

That is what i wish the government does, not just make some amendment just because a person has the power.

We definitely need to have uniformity as you say. but will the states agree. let us wait and see..

I still hear a mixed reaction when people talk to me...wanted to know what our friends here think...

4. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I hope they bring a uniform education board fast. It is high time they did it. It would facilitate moving from one state to another. I have suffered a lot because of this. Each state has a different language policy and hence one cant get into state board schools. If one opts for CBSE or ICSE curricullum for junior college admission the state board quoto comes in the way.All this could be done away with a uniform board and help children realize their dreams

I am all for grading system.It would take away the stress of marks .Children will be encouraged to take up activities other than just studies.

I would be happy if grades were introduced in 12th boards also. As it is the college admissions are mostly dependent on enterance exams only.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  5. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am all for grading system.It would take away the stress of marks .Children will be encouraged to take up activities other than just studies.

I would be happy if grades were introduced in 12th boards also. As it is the college admissions are mostly dependent on enterance exams only.

Hope the uniform board also gets implemented fast. It would be a boon for parents in transferable jobs. As each state has a different language policy children who move from one state to another find it dificult to get admissions.They have to depend on CBSE or ICSE curricullum which is not offerred by many scools.This also creates a problem when you seek admission to junior colleges wher the state board students are given preference. It is time govt brought about a uniform policy

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Bhanumathi,

Welcome to IL from my side, as this is my first interaction with your. congrats on your daughter's scoring 100 in sanskrit too.

Yes. we need a uniform board, but if the decisions were done hasty, maybe we will repent later. the different boards, different rules have caused enough nightmares in the parents aswell as students all over.

We need grading, but the grading should be spread over a period of time say from 8th to 10th to check out the thinking and application capacity of the child. and the performance of the three years be used to counsel and help the child in choosing his vocation at the 11th..

Not all college admissions are dependent on enterance exams. the tamilnadu board has taken away the exams...so how will the children get into these colleges.

In a democratic country with such vast cultural differences, a uniform board will take some time. but the implementation should be done, with the cooperation and assistance from all the states too..

thanks for joining me here..

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Well kabil sibal has had preliminary meetings and also with the resistance that is seen in the states, he has said that the doing away with exams is only for cbse initially and will be done in a phased out manner in the states within the next 5 years..

8. lakajitsiva

lakajitsiva New IL'ite

cancelling tenth board exams

Hi all

About Cancelling of Tenth std Board Exams.

what are pros and cons of that.

siva.
    <!-- / message --><!--INFOLINKS_OFF-->

9. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Re: cancelling tenth board exams

Hi

Cancelling board exams is inutile(useless).

The pros is the only thing that students are happy and parents also to some extend that they are escaped from the board exams.teachers,examiners and invigilators are also escaped from work and make them lazy.

The cons are countless.

Students are little careful and serious about their studies when they step into 9th std.Because 10th being the board they want to get good marks and tell their freinds and family that i am smart in studies.

10th is the base to 12th if students get used to the board exams they donot have to panic much as they will already have an experience of writting board exams in 10th.

The fear,tension,stress which leads to forgetfullness in exam are avoided if they have already appeared for 10th board.

12th std is very important for carrier and 10th is a base for building the carrier.

Students will know the seriousness of studies and the correction procedure,marks distribution and the process is known to an extend which will be helpful for preparing 12th std.

If such a exam which helps so much to build their carrier is lost.What's the point in studies????????

Exams are kept to test the ability,knowledge and grasping power of the students and while in other std's they will be competiting with the small crowd and they dont know the competition going on in other schools.

Board exam helps to build a healthy competition.

Already education is becoming a business any school will try to make profit and name according to their choice with the help of money.

And in todays world all have 1-2 kids and they love them a lot and also pet them so teachers are restricted not to scold be strict to them or beat them.
    How will the teachers bring the seriousness of the studies in the students.
    They wont understand as they are kids.
    Atleast to bring seriousness of studies and how important studies is in one's life it should not be cancelled.

Its not at all fair.

I Highly object the cancellation of tenth board exams

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. Deep78

Deep78 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,

Infact I liked the removal of 10th board exam.
    As you pointed there will be no stress for the kids.Secondly i thought most of the children get good marks in 10th compared to 12th and group deciding factor is "interest". In my case my daughter is weak in hindi just for the sake of board exam i have to give more pressure to get above 90, now she can be happy and read whichever she likes most.

But there is a fear that teachers, parents and students will get lazy and will affect 12th.
    What do you say?

Deepa.