1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

engaging a 4 yr old!!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by srividhar, Nov 30, 2008.

1. srividhar

srividhar New IL'ite

Hi,

This is the first time am posting on this forum!!

i have a cherubic,4 yr old daughter.I would like to know what other mom's of 4 yr old do at home/how they spend time with these kids.

both me and her are bored of writing alphabets and jus crayon coloring.Would appreciate your inputs especially since her dad is aways for a couple of months and we have enough time after i come back from work and on the weekends!!

Happy Parenting...

srividhar!!

2. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

Dear Srividhar
    Take her for a walk or to a park near by. U can play hide and seek or running race (U can maintain ur body weight also:lol:).
    Uma

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

1. You can find a park nearby to be able to go and play in the swings. seesaw.
    2. You can buy her a bike and teach her to ride the cycle maybe with training wheels
    3. You can play with ball, etc
    4. You can go on walks and show her about the trees, leaves, birds
    5. You can play hide and seek kind of games
    6. You can find children of her age group living nearby and organise a get together or play date which she will enjoy
    7. You can borrow books and music from the library and spend time reading with her

There are so many many things to do..here's just a few ENJOY with your little one.:)

4. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi srividhar

i also have a 3.6 yr old boy .

my son is interested in cars

so me and my lo will jointly look into the news paper and cut the latest cars and paste it in the chart paper or in the invitation cards

such that we also collect something or the other for cut paste. this will improve his interest in reading papers. now he started identify some words which he saw

u can also try this.

we will call this as a project

daily we have one topic for collecting

hope u have a good time

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi all have given very good inputs.

until 2 years back, i had to bowl for my son, for his cricket practice, play football inside the house, along with other things

you can take some projects..even little gardening, having her own pots with plants to take care, can teach her responsiblity even in a flat.

you can play drawing and coloring a theme for the day allowing her to have a free run of her imagination, that gives you an idea what she thinks...believe me you will be surprised at how the small minds work.

You can also try paper mache figures, ideas.

take up simple origami..like start with making boats and go further..you get lot of books and also info on the net this helps in concentration and observation.

You can always have a story telling session, where you are the listener, encouraging in role play, speech and language..

apart from all these, you could pick up simple theme puzzles like joining the dots, and all so that gives a work for her logical thinking..

you could have simple salad making sessions,baking sessions, where she can learn to arrange the salads, learn to cut using a cookie cutter (which are not harmful to do at her age)

The most interesting aspect, is you will get to know if your child has that extra wee bit in one of these things, which you would like to give an extra effort to nurture.

Hope this helps....

6. Lalitha venkate

hi shanvy

wow such wonderful ideas from u shanvy, i thinh i'll also get some ideas by your post

thanks a lot

7. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

great ideas Shanthi.
    keep sharing such new things whether we ask for it or not :)

8. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

dear shanthi...
    great ideas... this month full is holiday for day and i'm bonk breaking my head to occupy her... will try all this amy be i'll come to know what is her interest also... thanks for sharing... keep posting some more if you know...

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lalitha, you are welcome. hope these aer useful.will try to browse my old cds and if i find some files that i have used, will definitely upload them here.
    asha you are welcome. i thought these are silly ideas..i tried to keep my kids engaged, as my DH used to be working 7 in the morning to 10 in the night when they were kids..
    vahee, i can understand. i will post any ideas that come to my memory. nowadays they keep me engaged...Big LaughBig Laugh

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  10. Lalitha venkate

hi shanvy

i've sent one personal mail to u reg B2f and B2k for kids
    u did't reply for that