1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

please share tips to make the kids do their HW...

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by shvap_786, Nov 19, 2008.

1. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI mom's

MY daughter is 3.9 yrs old... she is into KG1, at present they have completed A-Z alphabets capital letters and started small letters... i'm finding difficult to train her... when she started her schooling she find difficult to write in the beginning telling her hand pains and i had a tough time with her but them some how managed . slowly she felt comfortable and enjoyed her writing...

now she does'nt like these small letters (small alphabets) , since she is interested i'm finding difficult to train her... both of us are bonkbonk... previous she used to very happy to write her HW nowadays the moment i call her she started ignoring , telling me she dont want to do her HW...

experienced mom's please give some tips and techniques to handle this situation...

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

dear Vahee,

i am not a mum but i have learnt from my friends that sometimes when kids become moody for doing HW, you find out by pampering the kid to talk, make her talk and find out whats wrong as she must have experienced something at school and also i suggest you see her teacher.
    another thing place colourful alphabet pictures on her bedroom wall on your fridge in the kitchen lether see them everyday then you can tell her lets play a game of alphabets and see who is the best, give her colours to do it, children love bright things so give her coloured paper t o write on and by doing this she will get creative as well, i hope it helps

love
    alpa

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vahee,

May be she is feeling pain in her hands. have you checked about how she holds the pencil. some postures tend to make it painful in the long run, but we leave it as we think as long as the child is comfortable it is fine.

if you feel she is just saying she is having pains, maybe she is resisting change. Writing A was easy it was more of sleeping,standing lines..and for a you have to concentrate and learn...

My son had problems. so writing was big problem. this is what i used to always tell him. the story of even ganesha having to write. when ganesh being god had to learn to write, so that he could give us mahabharatha, then why not sri, who knows what all you can write tomorrow...

that writing the names in capitals alone is for small babies, growing up boys will mix both and learn to write beautifully...bonk.

sometimes, children who don't listen to parents, just do anything for the teacher at school. if it is the same with your DD go and just put a word to the teacher to ask her to tell you DD. It always worked with my DS.

(I remember, when dd was 3 had sent her to a school locally, there they gave her too much of home for lkg..she resisted writing. MIL used to write..i just left it..but when i went to meet the teacher, she told me, your daughter is so sweet, she comes and tells me that her Grandmom writes her homework:rotfl..but later got transferred to delhi, where the teachers did a great job for her that is another story...)

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

That's so cute. What's a good age to start writing - should I even attempt it outside the school... K's snatching the pen from me all the time and his hold seems good.

5. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Dear alpa...
    ya she does all the work based on her mood... but still i make a point and maintain timings for all this... she was ok when she was writing her capital letter alphabets... now she hates this small letters... when i ask her she tells me she dont like this abc's i'm trying to make her understand...

i did'nt that colorful works while teaching capital letters now i should run in search for small letter also...

6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

shanthi...

MAy be your point is true... posture is correct but she press the pencil so hard... i could see the marks when i earse it... may be out of that she feels pain in her hand... she used to tell me that she gets pain when she write... more over she is so tiny and already when i met her teacher she told me give her some clay or chappti mix to play... i did that...

capital letter she was absolutely fine they have completed fully... now they started small letters and she is find it difficult to do that...

your story to your son was nice... my daughter love stories... i might try your story or create my own bonk.... when she grows she should not make fun out of it...

ya even i have seen some kids blindly accept what their teacher tells... my daughter till now she did'nt tell like that...

your DS answer to her teacher was so sweet...:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

7. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Very valid Vahee. What will she do if she doesn't like something? :)
    For some reason, my LO too learnt capital letters very fast (She is only 2 years 5 months, so am only attempting to make her read the letters, not write). But i am trying all ways to make her learn small letters and she wouldn't. I keep saying A is amma A.. and 'a' is kutty pappa A. she keeps staring at my face to see how i say kutty pappa, but never bothers to look at the letters on the chart or book. The minute I take her chart out, she will start saying "A a", "B b".. all letters twice, as if that is for fun.

8. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear vahee,
    i had once gifted alphabets made from wood and they were brightly coloured to my friends kid, they were small letter alphabets as i bought them from a christmas bazaar, the child on seeing the colourful blocks was so engrossed in it that she would not let anyone touch them and then her mum told her to copy the smae and make them colourful and stick them in the room, she did it.
    another thing you can do is that try to get a white board or a blackboard and play teacher teacher with your daughter, i used to do that with my niece when she was young and it worked magic becasue you make the child a teacher and they will love it, let them dress up and see how they will play on the board and tell her to teach you how to write small alphabets.
    i would have loved to send you the colourful alphabet blocks but i have not them seen them anywhere.
    good luck
    alpa

9. sangith

sangith New IL'ite

Hi,
    sometimes kids will be like that only.There is a website called www.starfall.com.
    The site will be very much useful to ur kid.
    Make her to open and play.sit with:) ur kid,automatically they will get interest.Then she will enjoy with small letters.Don't worry

Regards,:thumbsup
    sangith.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kids always love to scribble in their own pace...the problem arises only when systematic writing, is introduced..i will suggest do not force, give him pages to color, initially he will smudge, then scribble, then he will progress to contain himself inside the lines...that is when systematic writing becomes easy..i don't think you need to make him write outside school..these days most schools start with sleeping, standing lines, then proceed to I,L, that way..and let us not confuse the child.....(my opinion....)
    I understand that vahee, i had the problem with my DS, I started buying extra dark, then when even that did not work, tried 2b for sometime, the reason being the pencils hb is so light these days, that the child is also forced to press extra hard..this is my observations...
    She will get used to it..she is resisting the extra effort thats all..
    I told even before i make stories, add up..may be i will start a thread on it..to give ideas
    That is my DD who told the teacher. what my son talks to his teachers (sometimes, i used to get call from his teacher supporting him, when we were in bahrain) .I need a whole thread to write about his pranks......

Regarding exercising the fingers pressing the dough is the best exercise..there are recipes for making play dough at home which are non-toxic....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008