1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fancy dress ideas

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by chatkara_tasty, Dec 18, 2006.

1. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

hi all ,
    pls give me some ideas for fancy dress for my 6 years old daughter . just keep in mind that i hv to make the dress myself coz i don't know in china where to get all this stuff .i hv very less time . waiting for ur valuable ideas .
    txs in advance

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Heena,

Last year, for Halloween, a little girl was dressed as a 'mummy'. She got the first prize. Also, there is no costume making. Her mother had deftly rolled white narrow paper tissue all over her to create the bandaged effect.

Maybe, you can try appearances where your daughter could wear regaular dresses. But focus more on the hair (wige must be easy in China) and facial make up.

Wishing your lil girl a lot of fun dressing up and a prize to go!

affly
    Vidya

3. slgayatri

slgayatri Bronze IL'ite

Hi Heena

I have a suggestion. You r in China right? So we'll get the readymade sarees in the market. The children will ware it just like a frock. No need of tieing or put steps and all. So u buy that one and let her show off our tradition. I think this will work out.

Gayathri.

4. chatkara_tasty

dear vidya ,
    txs for the quickest reply . actualy its a christmas party but i don't want to make her santa and all . i thought of making her begger which my hubby doesn't like he doesn't want to see her princess as begger :mrgreen: what do u think how is this idea ? last year a girl wins the prize for the getup of SHAKUNTALA . my mind has stop running so i want u guys to pour some unique ideas to make my little one win . need help of all the aunts .request frm my angel.
    with love

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

hi again, Heena

I understand how yr husband feels. Both beggar girl and my suggestion of Egyptian mummy are not good, in that context.

The idea of wearing saree is good. Maybe, you can try Indira Gandhi get up.

Or how abt a Flower costume? You will get lots of silk, paper flowers in China. Fix/stitch that over a regular set of tights and top and make it jazzy and dressy. She can be 'Flower Queen'. I once wore a Lily costume when I was six and got a prize.

Or try dressing her in a grass skirt as a Hawaiian girl.

Will continue to brainstorm! Love to yr princess.

affly
    Vidya

6. chatkara_tasty

i hv her ready to wear saree but i wore her on diwali party :bang i can't repeat the dress :cry:

7. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

tree getup

Hi Heena,

U can give her dress a look of tree wd green paper sticked to it.Also can write a quotqtion GROW TREES OR PLANT TREES OR GET RID OF POLLUTION .

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Maybe you can dress her up like a flower..When I was in sixth std,I was dressed up like a Tulip flower by my seniors in school for a Scouts & Guides competition.They used a green underskirt/petticoat for the stem of the flower which was tied around my waist like a normal petticoat.Then they used red crepe paper for the petals-4-5 petals attached at the waist and going upwards so the upper body and face is almost hidden inside it.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Heena...

I had to think hard and fast for my girls every New year. In Germany, kids dress up and go door to door for candies!
    One of the easiest and an effective one was Charlie Chaplin. They wore a three peice suit ( an old one from their dad, quickly altered!), a hat with the hair piled up underneath it. The typical moustache of CC was painted on to the lips and kajal for the eyes and a walking stick in the hand. She just has to immitate his walking style.
    Then there is a fairy costume, just cut out some cardboard and cover it with white tulle and stitch it onto a white t-shirt. Let her wear a pretty long skirt..or even your white petticoat embellished with some sequins will do. She should carry a majic wand, which will be a stick with a star cutout and attached to one end and all wrapped in kitchen alu foil!
    Another one is a gypsy who will read the future. You can dress her up in a lehnga and blouse, something silky and shiny. Make a headress with a duppata tying it to hold back the cloth, and tie a chunky chain or something around her forehead. Huge rings in ears..don't forget to paint a spot on her cheek and give her a majic ball to carry..a ball covered with foil will do!
    There are more..but the above are easy ones. I too have dressed them as a flower..cutting out a larger cardboard with a hole in the centre that she could wear it around her neck. The card was painted in bright red coulour. Green tights for legs with some plastic creepers climbing on the legs and even wrapped around the arms!! Her head will stick out of the flower...hope you understood my description!!
    Have fun.....L, Kamla

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  10. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Just Curious

Hi Heena
    I saw this thread just today, well past the Xmas party day. So what did your little one finally go as ? after all that head- banging frustration ! Just curious:mrgreen:

I am reminded of a friend who went through similar tension and in sheer desperation, stripped her son ( 5 yrs.) to his undies, pinned a canna leaf to his front , gave him a half bitten apple and sent him onstage as Adam! The child won the second prize .

VS