1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not interested in Writing

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by SujaGiri, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SujaGiri

SujaGiri New IL'ite

Hi,
    We have put our son in kinder garden this year. He is 3 yrs and 8 months. He was going to EuroKids - Adyar for his play school. It was too good. It was a good start for him. He loves going to school. He likes to spend time with his friends, teachers. Now lately he started crying to go to school, when we spoke to his teacher came to know that he doesn't want to write. So thats his problem. He hates to write and if we force him to do so then he doesn't want to go to school for that reason. I am really worried that he has changed this way. What should I do to motivate him to write. I tried to give him new pencils, new notebooks so that he will be interested to write, Still he is not. Please suggest some tips to motivate him.

Thanks
    Suja

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Suja,

Welcome to il.

REgarding writing, some children the motors skills are late in developing, and the child does not like to write. have you checked how he holds the pencil if at all, does he do any scribbling happily.either it is the above case or your child basically does not want to write. If it is the second, you start with asking him to color and draw his favorite cartoon characters, then write the name, and so..and make a file for the same. some you can stick to the fridge the rest make him file it...may be it will be a motivation.

3. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

good sugession shanvy mam

i had the similar problem with my 3 yr old kid. i gave himnew pencil or u can use the traditional writting with chalk piece and a slate. i use to train my kid with this method now he started writing

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lalitha,

you are welcome. I feel, as parents we should try to understand their problem and not put more pressure to perform when they are not ready.

What if they don't excel in the first year, they will definitely cope up later...it is better to leave them relaxed and learn it the fun way, than to sit with them till the end of their schooling...

this is my 2 cents.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Suja,

I think 3yrs 8months is too small an age for a kid to write - but then I am not aware of what is expected in schools in India. That said, I think you should go back to your previous school - eurokids right and talk with the teacher and find out as to how he did with drawing/writing and what methods they used to encourage him. Also check out if drew/wrote anything at all.

Then go to your new school, talk with the teacher and find out the expectations as far as writing is concerned and ask how she can help you help him. After that, sit with him and try drawing, scribbling just for fun. If you get a doodle pro, they are a fun way to encourage writing. Prop up a chalk board on the wall and leave some chalk lying around and you write on it initially like grocery list etc in his presence and simply leave the chalk in his view. A lot of kids also are encouraged by coloring, you can get some coloring books and try.

I am sure you understand he is still a baby and what he is refusing to do now, might love doing in a couple of months. So don't show your frustartion, act normal and behave like you will get there when you get there. He will see you relaxed and things will fall in place. As Shanthi said, what if they don't excel in the first year...give them time and heart and belief, they will be there!

Good luck

6. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi shanvy mam

thank u very much for ur reply.
    ur r like a mentor to me

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Suja,
    my son had problems with his fingers. He lacked the fine motor movements of the fingers and so could not hold a pencil properly. He found it very difficult to write. We found out about this problem after having an assessment done by a professional. He had many other problems too and we trained him at home to over come this hurdle. Even now, he cannot tie his shoe laces or tie a know properly with thread. Please do the assessment as early as possible (if there is no other problem visible) and take necessary action. That way you could help him overcome this problem earlier.

8. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Hi Suja,

Trying to figure out a child's mind is a hard thing. Motivating him with material things are not enough.

Don't force him to write... Maybe you could ask him to scribble on paper. Or write with paint on his fingers. Get him a white or black board & ask him to scribble anything. When you ask them to do anything, they tend to go the other direction. So give him time!

My daughter's class teacher had given some tips to parents of those children who motor skill hadn't developed -
    a. Ask the child to tear paper to bits
    b. Ask the child to crumple paper / foil
    c. Let them play with clay or chappati dough

Hope this helps.

9. umasridharan

umasridharan Senior IL'ite

Dear Suja
    3 yrs and 8 months is too small a age for a child to write. Pleeeese dont torture that child. Wait till he is 5yrs. He will start writing automatically.
    Uma

10. fragrance

fragrance New IL'ite

my 3.5 dd is also facing some problem. she hates writing. in indian curriculum they focus on writing. everyone has given good suggestions but my dd hates to write in the school. every month we are called to the school bec when it comes to writing she refuses to write and stares at the teacher or at the other students.
    she hates colouring also. but otherwise she loves to count, circle the right number, match but when it comes to writing alphabets or numbers she does not do.
    even i feel that 3.5 is a very small age but what to do when the teacher complains that she does not write.
    another thing i have noted even though she knows her alphabets she wants personal attention otherwise she does not do. in school personal attention is not possible with so many kids. i dont know what to do

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008