1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to teach to read?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by AbhiSing, Oct 6, 2006.

1. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi

Plz help me.How can I teach my son to read? Although he is good in recognising the alphabets and the phonics, he is not able to recognise words. He is turning 5 this December. He is in K-1now. I am worried a bit. Experienced mothers/kindergarten teachers, please help me. i also feel lost because I don't know how to start it and I have forgotten how I was taught.[​IMG]

Thanks and Regards
    Vijee

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Not to worry.

HI Vijee,

If you are sure that he can be able to give phonic sound to any letter in any sound, then, join them in one order like-at, -an, -et, etc. starting from a upto the last letter z for prefix and suffix. Combine like this and ask him to pronounce individually, and then, slowly ask him to join both of the letters. Then, you include 3 letter words like cat, mat etc.

Visit starfall.com and it is very useful for him or atleast, you can observe, then proceed the same pattern with him. Good luck..

Rgds.

3. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  4. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ami,
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful site..my three year old boy is very interested with it.
    very useful site.
    thank u,

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

My pleasure..

Actually, my daughter is 3 plus and we both use to visit every alternative days to read all simple sentences. FYI, this site is recommended by this area public school!! Could be that, it is informative.

Bye.