1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Play school Good or Bad ?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by srinithivasan, Oct 24, 2015.

1. srinithivasan

srinithivasan Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

My kid turned 1.5 years. Planning to put her in Play school. Still having confusion, whether it is good for her or not.
    My parents and inlaws saying it's too earlier, Dont burden her now itself.
    My point of view is she can mingle with other childs when she go to play school as she was alone at home with me.

Please help me in this regard. Tell ur views regarding this.

Thanks.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Play school is not a burden. If she is ready and the play school is safe and hygienic I don't see why not.

At 1.5 you will need to figure out who will change soiled nappies and when, what sort of food will be provided, who the child teacher ratio is, how will they ensure kids don't hurt each other, their discipline policy etc. Since your child will be unable to communicate completely it is important that you do all the ground work.

Alternately you could take her to mum and baby classes, parks anday grounds, organise activities and playdates so you can be there while she hones her social skills.

3 people like this.
  3. srinithivasan

Thanks dear :)

4. srinithivasan

Is there any mum and baby classes in chennai ?

5. muthuswathi

muthuswathi Silver IL'ite

please wait for until she reaches 2.5 years. Now it is too early to put her in play school .

6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I think at this age baby will be clingy towards mom. Play school is only for 2 or 3 hours, she will start socializing with her age kids. If school and the helpers are good , then it is good for her and u get some time for ur self too. First 1 week or 2 weeks they cry when u leave them later they will be fine. If not wait for few more months and try.
    choose for monthly fees paying instead of term fee paying. So u can have flexibility

1 person likes this.
  7. hereiam0111

hereiam0111 Junior IL'ite

hi.. sorry to ask this stupid question but, my daughter is born on November 2015. Now she will be 2 years or 3 years ?

8. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

november 2015???? she must be a just born

2 people like this.
  9. sanarthi

sanarthi Silver IL'ite

Hi Srinitivasan,

I put my daughter in play school at the age of 2. Even every one including my husband was aganist it.. But then i could see the difference in her..

Positives:

1. She spoke very well - When she was at house, she spoke only one or 2 words at a stretch. Post 1 month of school, she spoke a whole sentence. could tell things happened 2 hrs earlier etc.,
    2. She was more engaged at school
    3. After a month of enrollment , she was able to communicate her toiletry needs
    4. She could recognize numbers, colors & alphabets.
    5. She gets opportunity to observe other kids as well
    6. At school she eats by herself.

Negatives:

1. My daughter gets sick often. Once in 45 days we visit doctor. Doctor tells for first 6 months of school kids below 3 yrs will get sick often as they dont have a mature immune system . Post 3 yrs, it does not mean they would not get sick, but they will be less prone to sickness. ( Main point to be considered)

2. My daughter cried for more than 2 months and then she got fit.
    3. At times, her diaper remains unchanged - At times ( rarely) if she stools in her diaper around the time i fetch her from school in afternoon, it would remain unchanged. Her teacher would tell reason for not changing her diaper. Now a days, i send her without diaper and only underwear. Now things works correctly. My daugther tells her teacher of her toiletry needs and they too are cautious my daughters toiletry needs .

Criteria we have to look for play group:

1. kids- teacher ratio. In my daughter's school, the ratio is 5:1
    2. checking of kids diapers is done in every 1 hr
    3. feeding ( small amount) kids for every 1 hr.
    4. timing. unless you are working pls dont enroll in a full day playschool.
    5. Play time for kids. Please do see how much time the school has set time to make the kids play . Some schools, dont have play time even for toddlers.
    6. When ever you visit her school, you should be able to see what the kids does in a cc tv. ( please be strict on this)
    7. Safety measures: what kind of safety measure they have incase of emergency
    8. play area: how much play area the school has. what kind of tools they have
    9. class room environment: how is the class room environment, how well the class rooms are cleaned etc.,

I dont tell you to enroll or not enroll. this is purely your decision. i have given my side views on it. I personally feel she does good in school. so enrolling is not a bad idea.

3 people like this.
  10. srinithivasan

Thanks a lot for your valuable information sanarthi.