1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My son's educational issue

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by SGBV, Jun 3, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear moms

I have a son, who is 4+ year old.

He went to a private Christian nursery which provided a satisfactory classroom + play sessions, which both my son and us enjoyed so far. However, the teacher in charge + owner of that nursery left the country for personal reasons; thus she recommended us (parents) to find a better School if we want to. The reason being, none of the other teachers had experience or patience as this particular teacher it seems. Also, she was known as a good teacher, respectful human being and also a great leader among her society; thus many parents preferred her nursery purely because of her.

As the next better option, I admitted my son to a nearby international Pre-School. There were many students, so are many teachers.

Initially my son displayed some introvert behavior when he was admitted at his earlier nursery. He is very outspoken and active at home or anywhere with his dear ones around.
    His teacher only made him come out of his shyness, and ensured he makes a speech at a stage among a big crowed last year. He became very social and made many friends within a year in that nursery.

Now at this new School, my son again went back to his shell. He is silent, makes no friends and behaves introvert all the time. Since he is the newest in this nursery, no one seems to be voluntarily talking to him. He finds it boring, lonely and irritated at times.
    He says, there is no play time, no song times, no interaction with other kids, but just sitting on the same table (no rotation it seems) and writing.
    He fusses to go to nursery now. Earlier, he wanted to go to School during holidays as well

When I casually asked the class teacher to help him (the new student) to interact with other kids and make friendship to ease the School environment, she seemingly agreed with me. But later, she questioned my son in a threatening tone it seems. He even says teacher hit him with a cane (slightly though) for not writing properly.

When I questioned, she says she never hit him but warned to hit as he is extremely careless with the books when it comes to writing.
    She even advised me to better teach the kid at home.

In fact, in the past couple of weeks I have taken special care on teaching him. He writes really well. At this age, he can read alphabets and words in English. He can read Alphabets of local language and do the picture reading. He can write alphabets (without seeing), numbers.

Now he also can add and deduct numbers with pictures. He connects, and doing extremely good with the work book. He catches up with language skills as he is a fast learner it seems.

But when threatened or pressurized he gets confused and irritated.

However, the teacher feels my son is not up to the standards. She asks me to pay more attention on him. She feels the other kids are definitely doing better.
    I feel the other nursery was better, as they were able to bring out the best in my kid.
    My son wants to go back to the old School.

Now, we have only 6 months left for the new School year to start (as per Sri Lankans). We have to take him to another new Primary School from this nursery anyway. I have already booked his place in that new School which has a great name with kids.

I am worried whether to take him out of this nursery and send him to the old nursery (despite the fact that the old famous teacher is no longer there) OR take him to another new nursery (with no guarantee) or continue here until his Schooling year starts (til Dec) or let him stay at home; thus bring a teacher for his studies.
    I am going to teach him at least 1hr daily anyway.

Any advise?

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV I am so sorry your son is having a tough time at the nursery. Was his old school a Montessori? Kids take time to get accustomed to new school system especially when you change them from Montessori. Where did his friends from old school go? Can you put him in the same place as his old friends? Since its just 6 months before you move to a bigger school can you just put him in the place his old friends school..

I am not sure how it works in Srilanka but is he just not in preschool ? at that age do they expect a baby (yes he is a baby) to write perfectly. Gosh he is just 4yrs old and He needs to play and enjoy life. Studying is there for whole of his life. I am not too sure If I would want my DD who is also 4yrs old to study too much at this age. They need to play and explore. To me any teacher who is threatening or raising her voice on kids is strict No No and its time for school shopping. It affects the kids badly and You wouldn't want that.

I am glad your son is very expressive and is able to tell what exactly happens. Count your blessings and please do explore your options.

1 person likes this.
  3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

At that age formal studies are not important. Plenty of playtime, songs, rhymes, story telling/adults reading is more important. And threating to hit a child is totally unacceptable. If you have the possibility take him out from the "school" and let him stay at home for a couple of years (depending on when the schools start age in your country).

4. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

SGBV...this worries me. A negative teacher at this stage(at any stage) can do more damage than good for your little boy. Will try to come back and write more..but my $0.02..take him out of classroom.

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I have had an open discussion both with the teacher and the principal of that School (which has preKG, LKG and UKG in addition to primary to secondary classes as per the School system - This is not a Sri lankan, but a Malaysian international School near by my home).

They assured that they never hit children, but apologized for using harsh tone and threatening to hit with a cane, that too for a newbie kid. I showed them his workbook which he uses at home to explain how much he could write.

Planning to write my experience in FB without damaging the School or teacher's reputation but the system which never had child friendly environment as they advertise.

As suggested by many in my circle, I have decided to take him out of that School, and find a best alternative asap.

Glad that he was expressive. In fact, we were able to notice the difference in his behavior at the right time; thus probed him to express what he feels about.