1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to make my son understand things?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by hema1973, May 4, 2015.

1. hema1973

hema1973 New IL'ite

Madam,

My son is currently studying in 12 standard commerce stream. He is very childish in behavior at the same time, very argumentative for silly things. How to make him realize things, that what we are saying is for his betterment. He is not studying and more interested to sleep in the morning. It is giving me sleeplessness, tension and lot of worries. I am not able to focus on anything.

2. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

I don't have experience to advise. I can never wake up at 5 am and study. But I can study till 2 am. So if your son has this late night studying habit, it would be difficult to change. Other members will give better tips. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@hema1973, do you mean to say your son just started std 12 or is going to write 12th exams?

Are you comparing your son's study time with other students who are in science stream? The syllabus in commerce is less compared to science, more practical oriented, so it doesnt take much time to study. How are his grades?

To build interest, perhaps you can ask him to read papers like The Economic Times or the business section of any good newspaper and commerce magazines. YOu can also read these and discuss with him. If you don't follow, ask him what it says.

I do not think its a good idea to nag a teenager to study. Please do not take his arguments to heart. He is going to need all that and more as he steps into the world, not just 90% in commerce. He is trying out his real-world behaviour on you, please cooperate. At the same time, if he is rude, do not hesitate to stop him. A firm but unemotional - You can't speak to me like that - is enough.

As long as he is studying at some time be it evening or night, it doesnt matter if he wants to sleep in the morning.

Is your son physically active? Does he play any games? ITs better for him to play cricket than watch IPL. An active mind in an active body. Encourage him to play and he will love you for that :)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

all the best. you didnot mention if it is icse or cbse.

Actually for a moment forget your tension, the stress. just enjoy your son. he is childish in his behaviour that is fine, i have seen many who are childish even after marriage . that said i find lot of the kids in my son's class having fun. some times it feels so silly and you wish that they act mature. but i also believe maybe they are just taking it easy under all the pressure academics puts on them. being argumentative is the way of life at this phase. do go with the flow. i make fun, or we just have the same silly arguments and if it goes to serious issues, time out..and discuss it later.

how do you know he does not know things, that he does not know that whatever you are trying to tell him is for his good. but you have to understand sometimes, trying too much to push your thoughts, wishes can back fire. he will rebel, he will retaliate differently.

most teens are wired to sleeping in the mornings, especially boys, their body works that way (though these days it is the girls too..) let him sleep and study accordingly.

Tell me one thing hema, if you are sleepless, worried or full of tension, you are not helping anyone. i am sure you are making it difficult for your child too.

i think it is you who needs to change a little to bring in positive changes for your son.

do not show your tension. pick up some reading, music to remove the restless out of your mind.

remember that getting 100% in studies is good, but if he cannot get that it is ok. keep a list of alternatives in mind. keep track of those alternatives from december 2015.

see to that he eats healthy and does not have junk.

talk to him about how you are feeling worried, stressed. that you have confidence in your son, but are worried about the cutoffs for seats in du colleges..(assuming you are in du). talk to him about his future plans and work around those accordingly.

I know getting b.com in these colleges is more tougher than getting into engineering colleges these days. (I went through the strain of it with my daughter 3 years back..)

Go with the flow, and help him. all the best to you.

P.S. my son too is in the 12th science stream, and believe me i have loads of worries regarding his examination and college, but i do not pressurize him because i know, it is going to add more pressure. instead i tell him, give his best and let us wait for the rest..

3 people like this.
  5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

one of the best advice/suggestion I recd when my kids were going through this stage was: 'you only see your kid from when he comes home in evening till bedtime so you want to ask them about studies for those 3-4 hours. but try to remember-- it is only 3-4 hours of your whole day for you. Your kid is facing this pressure/tension/competition from the time he wakes up and goes to school, in school in classes, from classmates comparing marks, from teachers handing back tests, then from you after coming home, till he sleeps. from waking moment to sleeping moment he is facing this all the time. so try to give him a break.'

These words opened my eyes and made me realize. I changed the way I talked to them and in turn when they saw I am not continuously lecturing/pushing them to study they too started sharing more.

OP, why is he so sleepy every morning? if he is so sleepy in morning then he is not sleeping? he is not getting proper rest. Does he study at night? Or maybe trying to and unable to due to worry. try to be friendly and find out what is going on.

6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Shanvy, it was like that 15 years back too :( And I am not even talking about the likes of Stephens or Lady Shri Ram college here. Glad to know your daughter chose commerce :)