1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Study time for a Grade 1 child.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Preet82, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

My DD has started Grade 1 this month. During her KG, i would sit with her for her studies whenever she had homework or some days for like 20 mins.
    Yesterday i spoke to 2 of my friends whose children are also in Grade 1 and i was schoked to hear that their children sit for 2 hours to study everyday:eek:mg:. And one of them complained that 2 hours a day is not enough.My daughter hardly sits for 30 minutes in day and she seems to be doing fine. I heard from atleast 3 parents that they make the child study topics ahead of school. I am just curious to know how long the other parents make their Grade 1s study. Am i too laid back? We live in UAE but my daughter is in a CBSE school. I know the scene is very competivie in India, but i also don't belive in pressuring the child too much nor do i want her to lag behind.

2. somam16

somam16 New IL'ite

Dear Preet,
    I believe the time for studying is immaterial! If your child can manage in 20 mins it should be fine ...it depends on the ability of the child to grasp things which varies from one child to another....we should not compare one child with the other and it is also not fair to pressurize a child for something which she is not enjoying....we need to make it more interesting rather than a monotonous boring work!! Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...every child is different.
    If your daughter is learning well then don't stress her out.
    Don't see how long she studies See if she has understood the basics of the topic. Eg....if they are doing simple addition.....ask her some fun questions.

See if she is doing well in class....and if the teacher is happy with her progress.

Instead of making the child prepare for hrs before class.....re-enforce what she has learnt in class with some fun and games.Check out education sites on how to make learning fun.

If your child enjoys learning...then your child will not need to spend hrs in front of a book.
    If your child enjoys learning.... half the battle is won.
    If your child enjoys learning ,she will not burn out like a lot of other kids no matter how long she studies.

3 people like this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Preet82, I am shocked too! A first grader studying for 2 hours!!!! I have a first grader and he spends about 10 minutes doing Math and another 20 minutes Reading. Reading books is something that he loves and therefore spends more time on it.

I know we tend to compare the scene in India and think kids study more there. I compared the CBSE books in India with the stuff that my kid knows (we don't have books here) and he is on par! Except for the second language, I don't see anything better than we are currently doing. And I guess you are doing the second language with your son already.

Kids in elementary school are meant to run around, play and explore. That's how they learn. They are already confined to sitting in a place at school for roughly 7 hours. Then they need sleep for atleast 11 hours. Figure another 2 hours for personal grooming, travelling to and from school. How much time to they get to play?

I don't subscribe to the view of competing with the school to teach stuff ahead. If the kid is interested and shows the inclination, we should definitely explore that topic. In that case too, I wouldn't teach what the textbook at school teaches. The joy of learning at school is lost. Many behaviour problems at school stem from this fact that the kid already knows what the teacher is teaching and loses interest at school. And how long can this sustain? As the child grows older, he has to learn from school. If he doesn't develop the skill to listen and think at school, how is going to do that in higher classes? School is not a race to "show off" to the teacher or other parents that my child is smarter. If the child is indeed smart, he will shine no matter what!

What you are doing with your child is perfect. Don't compare yourself with other parents. Tell them you are happy with your child's progress. As long as he knows what's taught at school, you are good.

6 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Completely agree ...both as a parent and as a former teacher.

6. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Yellowmango and butterflyice, I am happy to read your posts and totally agree.
    Yesterday i spoke to my mother who is a retired teacher and she gave me the same words of wisdom. The duration of the study time is totally irrelavant. I will just not bother about the so called "competition" and just let my daughter be. I will not make study time a terrifying experience for her.

7. Preet82

Preet82 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Soman16, What you said makes lot of sense.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@preet82 it is a dangerous loop.don't get into it. if your kid understands and is done in 10 minutes it is ok.

there are groups and parents who prepare question papers, and circulate and have revision exams for a small test at school in my apartments.for ukg and 1st std, that it puts me on a shaky ground with a son in 12th for being casual.

instead of making her sit for hours, i would do something, that i prefer to call parallel teaching loosely (though actual parallel teaching is a different model )something that will not hinder her academic proficiency but will enrich her knowledge pertaining to the same. make her understand knowledge is fun. knowledge is enrichment, and that is something that makes the foundations. what she understands, enjoys and learns today will be the first base for future lessons..

4 people like this.
  9. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Omg... My DD can't sit for more then 30 mins. And she does math and some reading within that time. Even if I attempt for more than that..she will get restless and can't focus.. According to her... Home is where she needs to play..which I agree completely to..

3 people like this.
  10. Pankajdas

Pankajdas New IL'ite

He needs to enjoy his studies. Mostly study through activities. Maximum he should study for 2-3 hrs.