1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Charter Schools/Public Schools - Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by VanithaSudhir, Apr 1, 2015.

1. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I need some suggestions to decide on my DD's schooling. She will be going to elementary school starting this september. She got an admission in a charter school. The school is primarily of Indian Kids. I spoke to a parent who sends her kid to the same school. She said that academically it is good. However, many parents pull their kids out of the charter school in 3rd or 4th grade and put them in Public Schools.
    Another parent suggested that the Public Schools are best and Charter schools do not offer the kind of extra curricular activities that Public Schools provide. And also charter schools do not have experienced teachers.

My DH is little concerned, since the school is primarily of Indian kids, that my DD will have minimal exposure to kids of different cultures and may grow up being less confident interacting with other culture kids in future.

I want my kid to go to a good academic school, whether it is charter or public.
    I personally feel that she will not face any problem being in a predominantly Indian kids school, since she anyways goes to other classes like math, dance etc , where she mingles with kids of different origination and culture.

Which school do you parents think is better ? Charter or Public Schools ? Why do parents pull out their kids from charter schools in the 3rd or 4th grade ?
    If Public schools are good, why not start right from elementary ? Kindly suggest.

Kindly pour your suggestions.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@Vanithasudhir I don't have any answer to your question but I am curious to know what charter school is? and you have charter school primarily with Indian Kids in your area?

1 person likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@VanithaSudhir

There are pros and cons to it. Do you live in a good school district? If yes, I wouldn't bother about Charter school/magnet school. Charter school have excellent academics and they are more result oriented. If the child is too academic oriented and not much into sports then Charter school is good. This you will know only when the kid is in 4th/5th after trying out different activities. At elementary level not much extra-curricular activities are offered in schools in our state.

As you said extra-curricular might be minimum for example if your child develops interest in music either chorus or band/orchestra not sure if all charter schools provide enriching music learning. They might offer some extra-curricular but not lot of options. There will be lot of homework starting from middle school level which might give less time for extra curricular activities.

Also it may not be apparent in elementary/middle school level but peer pressure starts building up towards high school especially among Asian community. If only top 2% of a race, could make it to IVY league (that's what all our asian parents have an eye on) imagine the peer pressure. I have heard that teachers don't stick with Charter schools for long and some times kids need to take extra help outside the school to catch up with the curriculum offered. it's not easy to get into charter schools mostly they get filled up by lottery.

There are two charter schools where I live and one is the top in the state. Kids that come out of that one despite of all the other challenges get placed in good colleges. The other charter school has only until 8th grade and they do a good job too.

We are in public school system, we moved from most populated indian community to a diverse community now which also has a good school system and we see remarkable change/growth/exposure for our children. Not sure if it's the age or school system or diversification but it has worked out in their favor. They do have lot of after-school activities starting from middle school (it depends on the school system too) but my kids select one or two they really like and just do that.

Good luck !!!

3 people like this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I think the definition of charter schools differs from state to state.

- Is this a special charter school where you have to pass exams or such?

- Can you find out from other parents why they pull out kids in 4th or 5 th grade?

- Are the teachers in those grades bad or does public schooling catch up with charter school at those grades?

-Most importantly how does the education in charter school differ from public school?

In my area there are 2 charter/magnet schools. They have the same curriculum as public schools but they offer second language from second grade onward. Also one is an arts magnet school, so they use lots of art to teach all subjects. The other one's focus is on science. I was greatly attracted to the second school but didnt like the PTA's attitude nor the principal's leadership. So let it go.

I think you need to decide what is important for your child. In my book experienced teachers, playground, extra curriculars like drama, music score big. That's how I chose my kid's school. There is a better school district (at the high school level) that does not offer extra curriculars at the elementary level. Its a no go for me.

I am with your DH on integration. I dont think it's going to affect confidence levels as the teachers are all american, however I would be very very concerned about the competitiveness. For eg you may feel your kid doesnt need to go to say Abacus but when you see 24 other kids going to such classes, you may feel compelled to send your DD to keep up with other kids. Also I would worry about our Indian mentality to focus on reading/writing/math to the exclusion of all other forms of education. The PTA could drive such activities only. I have seen this happen at a friend's DS school in the Bay area.

One more reason why I think multicultural environment scores big is that you are exposed to not only kids from various backgrounds but also their parents who come with diverse parenting and education philosophy. You get a chance to interact with those parents. As for the kid, spending six or seven hours with other kids is different from attending a single class where they dont have much time to interact. Your kid is able to see that there are kids from all over the world who speak different languages, eat different food and celebrate different New years. That's a valuable experience.

3 people like this.
  5. VanithaSudhir

Hi Chitra,Charter school receives public funding , but operates independent of the public school system.Yes.. I do have a school with primarily Indian kids in my area.

6. VanithaSudhir

@Butterflyice.. There are no exams to pass to get into this charter school.
    Academically it is good. Looks like the parents who pulled their kids in the 4th or 5th grade feel that the Public school system catches up academically around that grade. ( I haven't spoken directly to any parent. I got this information through one of my friends).

The parent I spoke to who pulled out her kid said that there is lot of homework and since she and her DH are working, they don't have time to pay attention to their child's studies.!!!!??

I pay attention to my Kid's studies and will not have any issues with her HW etc... As it is I spend time with my kid in the evenings everyday teaching her basic Math, English etc.
    I will probably start her with Charter School and see how she progresses and take a call accordingly.

Thanks for your inputs @jskls and @butterflyice