1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

6 yr old Bedwetting!!!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by chocogal26, Dec 20, 2014.

1. chocogal26

chocogal26 Platinum IL'ite

hi All..My sister is very disturbed becoz her 6yr 7 months old daughter has a bedwetting problem....She always encourage her to go to washroom before sleep...but still she has a problem...Tell me is this medical problem or how can i help her??

2. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

It could be a medical problem. My first cousin and his brother both used to do bed wetting until they were teenagers. They both had some gap in the spine. My daughter almost stopped night diapers around two, because I really limit her liquid intake atleast two hours befor bedtime. I make her take plenty of fluids and liquids during day so isn't really thirsty in the evening. After sometime my daughter got into the habit, even sometime she has had a lot of juice or some liquid before bed, she wakes me up. I do not know how far it is true but someone was telling me that there is a medicine from company himalaya for this thing. I didn't pay attention but you can tell your sister to find out. But first tell her to limit the liquid before bedtime.

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

There are two kind of bedwetting - primary and secondary. With primary the child has never been dry but having this problem since a baby. With secondary bedwetting the child has been for a long time dry and then suddenly starts to wet the bed. Usually there is a trauma behind the secondary bedwetting. The child has faced something tragic/traumatic such as a loss of a parent or there is domestic violence or other kind of abuse involved.

The reason for primary bedwetting is that as part of the child development a hormone starts to be produced (usually when child 2-3 years old) that reduces the amount of urine generated during the night. The urine is then in the morning more concentrated. Some children have delay in this process and it partly runs in the family. There is no need to restrict the fluid intake (of course not too much in the evening) or wake the child up as it does not help. If the wetting occurs every night better to use training pants or similar. A doctor can prescribe a medicin containing this hormone but usually other ways are tried first. There is a "alarm sheet" that wakes the child up as the first drop is coming and that can help some children. (My daughter was so heavy sleeper that she did not wake up - the whole family and the neighborhood woke up because the alarm was really high volume).

Bedwetting (Nocturnal Enuresis)

3 people like this.
  4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

My niece and nephew (siblings) had this problem until 5 years and then consulated Dr. For them , it was a harmonal issue. Dr gave medicine course of 3 months and both are doing fine.
    No bed wetting now.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Chocogirl, was this a recent problem or it has always been this way?

6. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

I agree, please consult a doctor. Most stop bed wetting as they grow older. some training might be needed. It is not something horrible so don't feel bad about it, esp don't make the poor girl feel like she is inferior. It is not her fault it is hereditary.