1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

kids resolution for new year - 2015

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by priyasudhakar, Nov 27, 2014.

1. priyasudhakar

priyasudhakar Gold IL'ite

hi all,

shall we share or discuss what are the possible resolutions or list of resolutions our kids make and how they try to follow it. my DS is in grade 4 and i wish him to have some resolution this 2015. will discuss with him and post it. waiting for your reply friends....

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Not really Priya. i think I will just let mine be as is. She is only 3.
    You guys carry on, it will be interesting how young preschoolers comeup with ideas.

3. priyasudhakar

hi Rakhii,

happy to see you here. thank you for your reply.

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My husband and I usually sit down a few days before the New Year and discuss what we envision our life to be in the following year. We then write up our personal goals in various areas of life - personal, spiritual, financial, and career. These are pinned up in a place we can see daily (in our case the bathroom next to the mirror, and for DS in his bathroom)

A few years ago we asked my son to tell us what he wanted to achieve. The first time we asked him to write it down (and we did not trivialize it) he wrote "I want a shiny red car, I want to meet Harry Potter", and one more that i forget

Two years ago it changed to being good in school and progressing in Taekwondo.

This year he has already started telling me what his goals are for the following year

Get straight As in school (he lost his Ipad privileges because his grades were slipping and agreement is that he needs to constantly improve and we will revisit this after this quarter)

He wants to get his third degree Black belt in Taekwondo (currently 2nd degree)

He wants to get a role in a TV show or movie (His life ambition is to be an actor)

So no matter how crazy it sounds (like his shiny red car) encourage kids to write down goals. It gives them something to work towards.

5. priyasudhakar

hi DKI,

i used to take one r two resolutions but it gets faded away soon, but your choice of every field covering is easy i feel, i will try this year taking small things in all the fields and try to keep up.

i will ask my DS to write down his own in bathroom (indeed this is a good idea since they tend to see it daily)

thanks for ur suggestions

6. NMag

NMag New IL'ite

Great topic @priyasudhakar!

That's something we all need to it. The goals need to be in place so we have something to work towards. The best thing to follow is what @DKI is already doing. Do the goal setting with the kids so they see parents having their personal goals and working towards them. No goals (for kids) are big or small, relevant or irrelevant. Let them get started with this wonderful learning process.

You may have personal goals, which you may not want to discuss in front of your child (depending on their age). That takes you to another level of goal setting - a second meeting with your spouse. Having said that, I would encourage setting up some kind of financial goal, which is not the same as acquiring material objects, in front of your kids. And if they want to be involved in the discussion, you are on the money!

I love the red shiny car goal of @DKI's son. Use this as an opportunity to help him set up a goal for savings for next few(many) years....

7. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

Let them Play and be happy Priya pl.

8. Tavishi25

Tavishi25 Gold IL'ite

Very nice thread . I start new year with few resolutions but after few months, they simply vanish.
    Encouraging kids with this habit is a good idea, so atleast we may try to follow to be a good example for them. Mine are 6 and 4years, so let me follow this thread to get ideas from other parents.

good luck moms

9. priyasudhakar

hi friends,

please list out the resolutions of your kids.... so that others may get an idea....