1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time to have F word discussion?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Anamika99, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

So my son learnt the workd 4 years back or so unfortunately when he was surrounded by some pre-teens kids in party but my son was 6 and i could brush it off when he asked more....

Then past couple of years that has come up again as more kids in school mentioning the word...

I could get away saying...

"it means nothing but people use it to curse it so it is bad n we should not use it, u know ur parents don't"

and that worked....

But now his curiosity has increased...
    (I am glad he openly talks to me about how kids use word 'sexy' and how they trick u in saying the F word...so i do not scold, i listen and ask him to restrain himself for not using bad words himself just like hell or sucks. )

so one nice day he told me..."mom i feel like...i want to look the F word in dictionary....i want to do so much...but then there is something inside which tells me i should not do so as it won;t be good for me"

and i was like o, o! so far it never occured to him to look it up...now he wants to refrain though he feels like but in no time he would look it up.

What should i do? What should be my next steps?

(he will be 10 in no time)

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

probably its time for you or your DH to talk to him openly about what that means. You want him to know from you than finding out from someone else.

1 person likes this.
  3. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

yes i agree, but what and how much n how.

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Maybe talk with the school nurse or counselor and ask how to go about it?

My DS just said matter of factly to me one day "The teenagers use all these words. I know what they mean, and I know they are swear words, so I won't be using them" I left it at that. But if the time ever came to explain more than that, I would have talked to the school nurse (since I know her well).

5. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

DKI, great idea, will try to contact school counsellor

6. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Teach him the words meaning. Not in a real sense but how ppl use the word when they are angry or upset. When teaching don't show your emotion. Like teachers teach at school. I had been a volunteer at school system for 4 years . At school teachers are teaching like they are just talking like other school subject nothing special.

1 person likes this.
  7. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

Yeah he already knows how it is used in cursing...it is trying to find the real meaning

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

It has become an accepted word in magazines and comedy shows in America, England and well... even in Canada. However, it is still pretty much confined to euphemism in many other parts of the world learning English as a second language.
    [​IMG]