1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

7 yr old not showing interest in studies - please help

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by kavir, Sep 2, 2014.

1. kavir

kavir New IL'ite

Friends,

My 7 year old son does not show interest in studies. He is at his best moods while playing and watching TV. When it comes to studies, he has a long face and whatever we ask him about what did you learn in school, he has a standard reply I forgot, I don't remember.

He sits in 1st bench at school and his class teacher says he is attentive in class but at home never opens his mouth to read or study. If we ask him to write, he gives excuses like hands pain, fingers ache etc.

I have tried softly talking to him, beating, scolding etc. But, nothing works with him. When it comes to studies its only I forgot, I don't remember.

How do I handle this? I feel guilty to beat and scold him everyday.

Please help.

Thanks
    Kavitha

2. chocogal26

chocogal26 Platinum IL'ite

my sister is also facing same problem with her 7 yr old daughter....she is doing exactly same...pls friends suggest something.

3. joel123

joel123 Gold IL'ite

Hi Kavita,
    Apart from the fact that he is not interested to study at home, how is he generally in his studies in school? Does he score well? Some kids are very attentive in class and they quickly grasp everything and they don't like to repeat the same thing over and over again at home...they kind of get bored...
    is it that he does not study at all or he does not study as per your expectation?

Joel123

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

he is only 7 year. when you are behind him 24x7 to study naturally he is going to put a long face and his standard reply is that you are pressing trigger buttons of frustations. my 16 year old does not like to reminded to study even today. so i can understand a 7 year. let him have fun.

maybe he has a genuine pain in his hands and finger. lot of issues like not holding the pencil in the right position, the writing angle could definitely lead to pain. it is not to be thought as excuses always. give him time and ask him calmly why he has pain. listen to what he is trying to tell you yet not telling. maybe he is already writing a lot at school. the homework too.

beating and scolding is going to make strong foundation for aversion towards studies. don't alienate him from studies even before he starts. why not start with some fun. talk to him about his day. allow him to play for sometime. give him the responsiblity of making a timetable. ask him to follow on it. that he has to finish his work for the day everyday. appreciate if he does it. if he slips ask him questions to make him understand where.

and maybe he finds it boring doing something he has already learnt. maybe you should make the subject more interesting, being inside the syllabus yet make it fun. puzzles, crosswords on the subject. give more food for the bored brain. may be he will do it.

if he is doing fine in school, do not pressurise him to learn/mug up on those same lessons. just introduce a wee bit more into it, like an experiment in science, a more difficult puzzle in maths.

all the best.

2 people like this.
  5. kavir

kavir New IL'ite

Joel,

He does not study at all...allow him to play or watch TV he is happy.

6. g3sudha

g3sudha IL Hall of Fame

Try to introduce some gifts. If he completes his studies /home work without follow ups give him some star. Then you redeem those stars as his favourite gift/toy.

It will work

7. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

Am also facing the same problem...my son is 10 years old and he never touches his books until I scream at him...Every day it will be a big drama in our house.now days he is so lazy and forgets the things very easily and slowly my dd(6 years) is also started to imitate him....
    shanvy thanks a lot for the great advice especially the timetable one I really liked the idea of time table from today on words am going to implement it.

8. joel123

joel123 Gold IL'ite

Kavita,
    try to find out what he is interested in apart from studies...what does he watch most on tv? Does he like to draw and paint? My son loves to paint and draw and create crafts...so when something gets very boring we start making charts and pictures and some games...and he enjoys it..he used to hate bigger smaller numbers...we started playing games everyday on the concept...and ultimately he started liking it...and now he wants to tick mark his correct answers and sum it up and find out how much he scored ...
    work on something like that....get into his mind and find what interests him the most...and start from there...unknowingly he will reach where you want him to

Also talk about bigger kids who are good in studies and so much liked by all...

on a different note...there is no need to worry so much...give him time...all kids are different...

9. Maayakalvin

Maayakalvin New IL'ite

Dear Kavitha,

Patience is one of the essential quality while handling kids.
    Screaming or shouting at them will not give result. Instead try to make him understand the situation. Be polite. Maintain tolerance.
    Trust him.

I know it is very easy to put in words but very tough to show in practice.:iagree
    My principle with such situation is "Patience is Virtue"

All the best
    :2thumbsup:
    Regards

Maaya