1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

At what age did your child start sleeping in there own bed / room?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by cooks2010, Jul 30, 2014.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hello,

I have an infant right now and we rotate between the crib and co-sleep. I am curious to know at what age did your child actually learn to sleep in there own bed or in there own room?

Also, could you please share how they slept as an infant/ toddler and how they sleep now when they are older.

I am trying to figure out the best way for us to help my baby fall asleep, but do not want her to sleep with us forever or have future issues with falling asleep alone or independently.

Thanks,
    Cooks.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

In theory, best is to move the kids once the night feeds stop, before the child is old enough to realise that he/ she is alone.

I have three friends who started with their respective sons around 2.5 yr. The children had all started speaking and could comprehend what was going on. The parents prepped the kids and got them excited about moving to their own rooms.

My 3 year old is on a cot in my room, and is only allowed on our bed after waking up in the morning. we just haven't gotten around to moving her yet. Before the summer holidays are up, we will.

3. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks guesshoo, this really helps us put things into perspective.

Cooks

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

We had decided my older daughter would sleep in the other room once she turned two.But my younger one was due the same time so we decided to wait as we didn't want the older one to feel displaced by the new baby.

We finally shifted both when they were three and one years old.

Till that time we all used to sleep on the same bed in the mosquito net ....+ one huge teddy and one toy doggy.:helpThe bed was crowded and only for sleeping....the rest of the house was for making out!:rotfl

6 people like this.
  5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

My son started sleeping on his own in his room by age 2-2.5. He is 18 now.........no sleeping issues. We started with me reading a book and then saying good night. He would just fall asleep in half our or so. He was a very good sleeper to start with and good eater too.

My dd very fussy light sleeper, wont sleep in crib at all. Tried to get her to sleep on her own but she wont. She was almost 6 by the time she slept in her room. She wasvery clingy to me too. But she is fine now (13 yrs old).

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...When you do decide to shift the baby in another room...take time to make the baby comfortable in that room by spending enough time there. Put a night light there.Start by sleeping with the baby during day in the new room.once the baby is asleep....move out.

Once the baby is comfortable....start the same routine at night.

1 person likes this.
  7. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

DS slept in a crib from day 1. We were in an apartment so the crib was beside my bed. When he was 10 months old we bought a house and moved. Since then he has had his own room.

He had no problem sleeping on his own at that time, even if he woke up he would play happily in his crib. The problem started when he was 3 - and lasted about a year. He would sleep off, but come to our bed every night exactly at 2.

But since we moved him out of the toddler bed and into a big bed of his own - at age 4, he has slept through the night (99% of the time atleast)

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

My son (now 21 months) slept in crib from day 6 9that's when we went home from the hospital); however, I call it co-sleeping because his crib was right next to our bed (side car). At around 14 months, we moved his crib to the foot of our bed (still in same room). He used to get up for night feeding and it was way easier for me to just pick him up and breast feed. Now, his toddler bed is still in our room but at a distance.
    At 21 months, he has opinion about everything :). We are involving him in his room decoration. He is big time in to trains, trucks and cars, so he picked out a train fabric for me to make his sheets. We also took him to Home Depot and let him pick out the colors for the walls. He chose yellow and green, so that is it. We are painting one wall with chalkboard paint (yellow) because he loves his little chalkboard and whenever he tries to write on walls, we tell him that he can only write on his chalkboard wall once it is ready. I am planning to move him to his room around his 2nd birthday. We already have bedtime routine- bath, milk, reading and singing lullaby.

4 people like this.
  9. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thank you everyone for your posts and suggestions!!, it seems like 2-3 years is the average time frame that kids are comfortable and excited about moving. My husband and I are really relieved to hear this. We can adjust for that much amount of time, we thought it would be around 5 years.

Lets see how it goes when the time comes :)

Cooks.

10. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

my boys are 4.5 and 2.5 yrs old. as of now all 4 of us are sleeping together. we combined 2 queens size bed together and sleep on it.
    in one month time, we will be moving to our new house and i always tell my kids about their own room and bed. second one is not quite understand about it but first one is very excited.
    he wants to sleep on double decker bed at the top but we cant have double decker bed as the ceiling is bit short. maybe will set a queen size bed so that both can sleep together. my second one falls sleep easily, he only needs a companion to sleep.
    but first one is bit fussy.
    and the boys's room and our room is side by side. hope we will succeed to make them sleep separately.