1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sun tan, weather, nourishment or just genetics

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by curiousgal, Jul 8, 2014.

1. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Hello friends,

We live in Illinois, USA. Winters are brutal here. Ofcourse, now we are enjoying the short lived pleasant days.

I have a 4.5 yrs old boy who goes to daycare. When he was born, he had a great complexion. He was born here in the USA. When he was a year old, we went to India, lived there for 2 yrs and came back to US again. His complexion did get a little darker, but I was not concerned, because I know that's how it is with kids when they start playing out in the sun and outside.

We have been living in Illinois since last Jan, so have already seen 2 winters now. My son's complexion is getting darker. I understand if his face, arms, legs are getting dark...but the issue is, his shoulders, his back are also getting dark now.

Earlier he wasnt eating at the daycare so I thought it is because of lack of proper nourishment. Now he has improved in his eating. We also got him checked by the doctor (regular ped, also ayurvedic doctor) and both confirmed that he is doing well health wise and there is nothing concerning.

Now it is summer, so he plays out a lot. But I still cannot understand how he can get dark...especially on his waist and his shoulders. His knees are also getting much darker.

Is it because of the dry weather here? What might be causing this tan?

He is learning swimming also now....am so confused because all these are possiblities.

I use Aveeno cream on his face and body after bath, but am wondering if it is not moisturizing him enough.

What do you ladies think? Can you give me any suggestions on how to identify the problem and if possible, help improve his skin tone?

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Curiousgirl, you seem to be doing everything right interms of using sun-block. It sounds more like genetics to me than the weather related factors.

2 people like this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I've noticed the same with my daughter who is now 3. I have a sneaky suspicion it has to do with swimming.

Anyway, apart from moisturising, I massage her with olive/ almond/ gingelly oil a couple of times a week before giving her bath. It doesn't help with the colour; the skin just looks much healthier. After such a bath I avoid letting her go in the sun for a few hours.

1 person likes this.
  4. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii. It could be genetics....but is that normal? My son used to go to daycare in India as well. He's been going to daycare since when he turned a year old. 2 yrs of daycare in India and not much impact on his complexion. But this 1.5 yrs in US has really changed his complexion a lot. Though the peds have not pointed out any health concern, as parents I believe that he is still not eating well. Meaning, he eats to fill his stomach, but he eats stuff like pizza, macaroni, pasta, tortilla chips etc. He eats very less vegetables and fruits. I dont know what to do and how to make him eat his veggies/fruits. I think I should force feed him and then see for myself how it works out.

Guesshoo: I'm sure swimming too is now adding to the problem. I massage him only on weekends....weekdays it is impossible for me to do so.

5. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

OMG! U know what? Even I have a tan on my arms! My shoulders until the length of my sleeves are ok....but the rest of the arm is tanned! And how? Reason I am surprised is because I dont even work. I am a stay at home mom who doesnt even step outside the house....except one day over the weekend for groceries. And the distance from the parking lot to the store is less than a minute! I dont even go for strolls in the evening, do not sit out on the deck....I stay indoors all day!

I believe it's the weather...or maybe water?

6. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

The sun here definitely darkens skin. Swimming also adds to that. You can try using home remedies to remove sun tan.

1 person likes this.
  7. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

That just proves we should apply sunscreen even when indoors and also on cloudy days.