1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When did your school going child become completely independent?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swt.charu, Jul 2, 2014.

1. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am back with another burning issue that I have.

My son is almost 8 years and shows no sign of being "completely" independent.. not sure if other adults at home and I are spoiling him (must be the case) or if everyone else out there goes through this stage..

Can someone tell me if my expectations are fair and guide me please...

Issue # 1 - eating his meals by himself..

Well, he does eat by himself ... but its like a punishment for him... eating itself is a punishment and to top it eating by himself (i mean without feeding) is a bigger punishment as per him... we were like "you are too old to be fed by someone" and instilled a discipline that either you eat yourself or you starve... the problem is he actually starves, throws tantrums but still not eat by himself... we ignored his tantrums for two weeks and after that just gave in and feed at least one meal a day. I have seen my nieces and nephews grow before my marriage and none of them were like this...its not even that we force him to eat the meal that is put in his plate... my MIL can cook anything that he wants in a jiffy but the problem is he never "wants" anything...

Issue # 2 - Getting ready to school

Too slow ... his attitude is like because "I want him to go to school" he is being generous towards me by waking up (after atleast 15 mins of cajoling, threatening, pleading), brushing (i still brush his teeth... well I am to be blamed here... I have an obsession with brushing teeth), taking bath (he can stay forever in the bath), then again the back to issue # 1 with milk / breakfast and wear the uniform...

Issue # 3 - cleaning himself after potty

what the heck... his hands a too clean to be doing such nonsense stuff... such nasty things are reserved for moms...

can you believe me he had the guts to tell me one day that I am being "lazy" now a days and trying to transfer all "my tasks" to him

Has anyone gone through this phase? is it because of the wrong ratio of 4 adults to a child that is causing the trouble (not that I can do much about it)

I have tried things like give browny points for good deeds done and accumulate the points and exchange it for gifts... it does not work on him... he takes the bite for two days and the third day declares "i neither want your browny points nor the gifts... the "effort" involved is too much"

any ideas please???

1 person likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Aww, swt.charu cleaning potty for a 8 year old is the height according to me. you have spoiled him rotten with your obsession..if i am allowed to say that.

on the question of when did your school going child become independent.. my daughter when she was 5 and my son when he was 6. i wanted them to learn to be independent. many called me a hitler/devil's incarnate for making them do it that way but today i am happy, that they can manage things in their life..

potty- i trained them to wash by the time they were 3/4. it is so long ago can't remember exactly. yes i would supervise. by 6 my dd would not want me in the loo/bathroom even for bath unless it was a hairwash. my son too.

Eating..i allowed them to make all the mess they wanted. eat with their hands, spoons from the time they were 1. in my case did not have people to pamper and supervise them. they eat what is given. they are told that they have to eat what is on the table..if they like or even if they don't like it. it is our food for the day.(i will make their fav goodies sometimes..but never as a bribe.). he can starve for how long. maybe he sneaks in chips and cookies..

Getting ready : i always used to leave their dress in a systematic pattern. uniforms will be there in that shelf at that place. the socks in their location. same goes for undies. they dress themselves, and they come to me only if they can't find them there. yes my son leaves a wet towel here and there..but that is a small thing, compared to standing in his beck and call.

being slow is something i have come across many kids. switch off tv, and keep the mobiles ipad and gaming if any away. and tell him he need not study or do anything for your sake., sorry we are not interested. we would like him to study so that he can improve on his own education. don't be behind him to get ready. just go on with your work for a few days. if he is late, don't drop him at school once..see how he reacts..but then i can anticipate him being happy about not going to school.

will come back. charu, have a call to attend..

SCA, guesshoo, shyamala1234 and 7 others like this.
  3. swt.charu

thank you Shanvy for the response...

I knew things were going out of hand... but could not help much...

ok let me say this even if i sound like trying to find excuses...

we are 4 adults at home ... my inlaws and us and each of us have our own idea of parenting and think we are right... each of us are lenient in one aspect and strict in another...

my son before the age of 5 was constantly falling sick due to his tonsils and adenoids... he used to be on antibiotics for almost 15 days in a month and usually weak ... those days seeing him suffer, we really used to pamper him with feeding, doing things for him etc...

for the last two years once his health started improving, we have been trying to wean him off these habits but see that they are ingrained deeply... and each of us adults show some or the other leiniency with him on and off.. so there is no consistant message... well working around these things despite the protection of his grandparents is no mean task... the DIL / MIL problems are intricately woven here you know (I know its nothing to be proud of)

so I am kind of losing patience and feel utterly helpless

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

then it is not the fault of the boy. it is more about four adults confusing a kid with your own set of ways.

there is one thing that needs to be set right. you four need to sit together and come to a consensus on food, school, eating habits, hygeine.

learn parallel parenting. you will not interfere with each other in front of the kid. you will not interfere the boundaries set for yourself.

now i really feel for your kiddo, from what you say it is more like it is the adults at fault.

high time you sat and discussed first with your husband. and then together as a unit talk to your Pil about how the four of you though having the kiddo's welfare and future in your mind are not able to break through and are ruining his behaviour.

p.s one word of caution, you can have 100's of issues with parents and parents-in-law but do not draw a equation in this which involves the kids. it only goes to confuse them. just allow them their gp time.

all the best swtcharu.

1 person likes this.
  5. chandrakiran

chandrakiran Silver IL'ite

Each child is different - so they may not become independent on all tasks at the same time.
    however, that being said, potty cleaning! should be done by 4-5 yrs i would think.
    My son is 8, but needs supervision while bathing, just because he does it so fast, i worry he may not do it properly.
    That apart, eating / getting ready he is fully independent. I wonder if he would eat if i tried to feed him !
    My younger one at 3 also tries to eat and makes a mess, but as Shanvy said, i too let him eat on his own and clean up the mess later.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. swt.charu

true... probably its my wishful thinking...

sometimes I expect my son to be old enough to understand my frustration and just correct himself ... wrong expectation I know.

I find it too frustrating to get consensus of 3 other adults and chalk out a plan.

will try anyways...

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

dont get frustated swt.charu. every child is different. my son and daughter are chalk and cheese..so different.

imagine your son.. you give him a instruction x, your husband counters it with y, then comes your fil with another instruction that is exact opposite of x and y and then comes mil with another instruction z. he loves you all. he is pampered and loved by you all. he does not want to hurt anyone. he is confused, he is frustated..it is more like power play..he has to work in his mind whom should he satisfy first...AW poor kiddo..

and as you say, the tension and stress of following what you ask for some brownie point is more than the drive to get those brownie points that he stops and screams at the end of the 2nd day..

sometimes, it is better to concentrate on our kid alone..let there be super prodigies, super kids out there..

sit down to his level and tackle the issues instead of expecting him to stretch himself to accomodate three adults...

do try..

8. SubhaSundar

SubhaSundar New IL'ite

Hi swt.charu,
    Dont worry....Each child is different from each other.Even 2 children in a same house are not same....Don't push him into all disciplines together at the same time as he may become rebellious....Try each one at a time...starting from toilet habits....everything will be fine.Try to convince him that u will not talk with him if he is not going to obey u...And don't talk with him even if he throws tantrums...It worked with my kids....Keep cool & don't worry...

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

swt.charu,

when i was seeing this ad, i was thinking of little boys. i was reminded of this thread for some reason. maybe the satisfied smile of the boy at the end.. no where talking about the parents, but the act of responsiblity by the boy is so sweet. had to share, and wishing yours does bring that smile to you. too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_I1omigDRU

umasivasankar and hridhaya like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Shan....I would so lick that butter off of that knife....well, I do it even now :) Cute ad.

Swt Charu...hope things ar egetting beter, if not they will! Hang in there.