1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to help DD kick out her fear of falling?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Happy2be, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

DD is 7 now and has a bicycle since last 3 years. She had been riding it with supporters and the without but for a very short time just in the house lane. Last year she fell off and was hurt just a little. But since then she doesn't want to sit on the cycle. I have tried in all ways to convince her that it will be fun and she will enjoy but she doesn't want to sit on the bicycle. :-( WHat do I do to kick out this fear of falling?

1 person likes this.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

One option is to get knee / elbow pads, a helmet and wrist/palm supports that will help avoid scrapes (sort of things that skateboarders wear).
    Is her bike the right height for her? Can she simply stop and steady herself by putting her feet on the ground?
    She needs reassurance that falling is harmless & will not lead to injury.
    Also, you might talk to her & find out whether she is afraid of injury or embarrassment.
    This 'learning to ride a bike' is a very good teaching moment, a proxy for teaching her about fear, failure, effort and persistence! I hope you will make good use of it as a parent!

4 people like this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Hmmmm lets see
    Do you hold the handle bars??
    It is important that we dont hold the handlebars then the child cannot learn the feel of balancing if the parent is taking control of the bike.If the parent holds onto the saddle or any other part of the bike the child will not necessarily realize if they are leaning a bit to one side or the other because the parent will be correcting for them.You should hold the child by the shoulders and run along behind.(if theres you are doing it outdoors)
    The traditional way to teach cycling, by running along holding the child up is still the fastest and best if an undersized bike is not available.
    Now about her anxiety....well its not about eliminating it,teach her to manage it.Reduce the anticipatory period to minimum.When we're afraid of something the hardest time is really before we do it. ed up. So next time just quickly plan up a cycling session,take out the cycle and get going. Dont give her too much time to think.
    For the first few days keep the session very short.Infact on the first day she might not even sit on the cycle.Never mind.Try it again the next day. Soon she'll be back on it and cycling :)
    Dont worry.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

take to park where she can see other kids riding..........that may encourage her..........
    also,i support the suggestion of letting her wear knee pads etc......

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

did anyone suggest riding in a park first? on the grass?

1 person likes this.
  6. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

I am following this one... Exactly same problem here.
    Its so so so difficult to get my DD on the bike. She even agrees when we tell her lets sell off the bike... she is happy to get it off her head!!

7. Khanaksmom

Khanaksmom Silver IL'ite

To this my DD says what if I fall on the dogs poop that some people forget to pick :bowdown

8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

:shakehead:............

1 person likes this.