1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

pls help me...need advice..relocating to U.S.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sonysreejith, Aug 21, 2013.

1. sonysreejith

sonysreejith New IL'ite

We are planning to relocate to st louis from kerala . I have two kids , an 8 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. I am worried about my son.He is going to continue his studies in st.louis. He gets very good scores but he is a little bit shy.He can read and write in english but not sure wheather he can understand the american accent. I have no idea about the schools in U.S. I am worried about bullying, making friends, language, actually I am worried about everything. Is there any problem if he join on november..pls give me some advice to cop with this situation. :frown::frown::frown:shakehead

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sonysreejith,

Welcome to IL! First off, please don't worry. Your son should have no issues at all because -

Kids start their KG only at the age of 5. So to help your son ease in, you can start with a day care.
    If you know your school district, you can check information about their pre school and apply. Pre schools start at the age of 3. Even if he doesn't attend that, it is no big deal. Once you find out the cut off dates for KG, you can plan on your pre school admissions - either in a school or a day care.

Personally, I would encourage you to focus on your daughter for at 8 it is a bigger transition for her and she might need your attention more. I hope you know which school she will be in. If you don't, schools are assigned based on where you live. If you know that, contact some colleagues from your work place and find out. Then write to the school to find out about the procedures for admission and after you land in St.Louis, meet with the required staff and help your daughters transition.

I am sure other ILites will throw in their perspective. I do want to assure you that there is nothing to worry. Best wishes and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post here - we are here to help in any way we can. Best wishes with your move.

1 person likes this.
  3. sonysreejith

sonysreejith New IL'ite

Srama,
    Thankyou so much for a quick reply..I think there is a little bit of confusion, actually my son is 8 years old. I am thinking of joining him in Rockwood school district. I am planning to send my DD to preschool only after 6 months .I think ,by that time she will get adjusted to the new place and the new language.
    Thanks
    Sony

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oops, sorry I must have misread! Yes, then it is your son you should be paying more attention, as you rightlyare doing. That said, accent will not be a problem, he will get used to it. If you know the school district, write to them directly and ask any questions you have. Generally they are very good in responding back. Most schools have just restarted just this week, so a couple of weeks down the line you will be able to get a good response.

2 people like this.
  5. sonysreejith

sonysreejith New IL'ite

No problem srama.I am planning to write to the school .Thanks for your help srama.