1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does the current education system encourage or curb creativity in children???

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Dinny, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

5.jpg

3creative-ed.jpg

In ancient times India had the Gurukula system of education in which anyone who wished to study went to a teacher's (Guru) house and requested to be taught. If accepted as a student by the guru he would then stay at the guru's place and help in all activities at home.

Today the times have changed we have schools,colleges where we send our children to study.Study…is that all they should do?? Human communities depend upon the diversity of talent not a singular conception of ability.

It's true Creativity is inborn talent.To perpetuate the idea that creativity is essential from childhood it should be nurtured right from the school.But is our education system well equipped for this?? Thinking out of box, questioning whys, answering out of book, all these should be respected & promoted to motivate others also.
    We have the pool of talented people but does traditional education system curb it?

does the education that we provide our children in India today serve its purpose ... “does the current education system encourage or curb the creativity in children”??

would like to hear from you ILites...

4tumblr_lw2giprDAB1qk2n5eo1_500.jpg

b-423967-animated_child.gif

You may also like to read:
    Crucial Skills That Will Help Your Child Reach for the Stars

9 people like this.

2. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Good topic dinny.
    I can see that things are improving in India. But we still have a long way to go.

Yes. It is better that kids are encouraged right from an young age.
    I personally feel that parents have greater responsibility than schools.

3 people like this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

thanks for stepping in here Anita :)
    Your are right we as parents do have the responsibilty of introducing creativity in our children.
    But i think in the schools the current focus on testing and the idea that there is only one right answer to a question may be hampering development of creativity among kids.

"If a person can't read or write, you don't assume that this person is incapable of it, just that he or she hasn't learned how to do it. The same is true of creativity. When people say they're not creative, it's often because they don't know what's involved or how creativity works in practice." wrote Sir Ken Robinson in his book THE ELEMENT.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

well,schools have their own limitations with numereous students ,overworked staff ,result oriented parents its really a miracle if some creative child survives to reach maturity with his talent intact............

still in a way school does introduce a child to variety of new topics & fields which as parents we can't hope to or afford to..........where else but in school we may learn the ball dancing ,the recitation of Gyatri Mantra or the signifiance of Pongal........

who else but a teacher can awaken interest in poetry with magical recitation of 'Tiger Tiger burning bright .............or the passion of paining with thumbs or the soothing effects of knitting ...........

schools in their own limited way do introduce kids to many joys of singing,reading ,playing ,dancing.............and we as parents need to encourage it ............we need to look beyond studies.......

2 people like this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Mahajanpragati...you have penned down your views so beautifully here.

Like all parents i also want my child to pass out from his school with good grades and then to go into a good professional college.
    So the question is are we really serious when we say that schools should nurture creativity and other skills for innovation?
    fostering of creativity and critical thinking is the next big educational challenge.
    traditional good grades may no longer be enough to equip the workforce with the skills needed to fuel innovation-driven economic growth.sometimes we cant even blame the schools because its the parents who force the schools and children into this grade motivated education and exam system.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Good topic
    True creativity is inborn I think; However it can be nurtured by giving children chances to be more creative
    If the education is merged with creative process then it is possible we will see more adults being creative and for those who are not as creative we can see them being supportive and a nurturing side to them as well;
    Parents too can take this initiative;

2 people like this.
  7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

So nice of you that you came down to my thread and gave your opinion ....thank you.:)

There is nothing more satisfying and fulfilling for children than to be able to express themselves openly and without judgment. The ability to be creative, to create something from personal feelings and experiences, can reflect and nurture children's emotional health.And yes we as parents must encourage them to be creative.Fostering creativity is very necessary and which better place to start other than the schools where children spend most of their time.

8. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

The modified education system is 100 % perfect now. It increase the kids creativity more and they have to do lot of search to complete their projects. I really happy with the education New CBSE pattern.

we should provide chance to our kids too otherwise they will be simply as followers not the innovator.

During my childhood stage I should not touch the camera now my Son he just observed what and how i am clicking shorts and how i am adjusting in photoshop. he followed me and i found he will be able to take good clarity picture than me only thing i should set the camera zooming, focusing and picture frame he is doing well.

if you give opportunity to any one they will come up i am sure provided he / she should have interest on this so we should not stress the kids to do this and that. Just observe them and find out what he / she is liking and track them in the right track they have good engine, they will prove one day.

2 people like this.
  9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Suman :)
    Yes the new CBSE syllabus looks good.But still the subjects like history go into excessive details which the kids dont need and sometimes i feel the maths we do in 11&12th grade (CBSE)is even beyond the engineering maths.
    That could lead to excessive pressure on kids.
    But the CBSE(I) curriculum is too good children dont even have homeworks.Slowly but steadily the Indian education system is getting better.

10. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

The education system is so scripted and "to the books" that it makes it very difficult for students to have the opportunity to be creative.The present society pushes the younger population to seek a career that will be beneficial financially. On the other hand, the family education can play a more important role. Parents should cherish the children's talents and be open-minded to their mistakes. Don't wait for schools to enthuse children, enthuse them yourselves. Education is to enlighten and to discover, it shouldn't be something you 'have' to do, and tell them this. Do whatever you can to get them interested. Let me tell u an incident. There is a lady in our group; group of moms whose kids are in 2nd grade but different classrooms, her daughter she plays violin so good. It's not every ones cup of tea right. There was a speech contest in school after the performances we were talking in our group how students performed etc This lady came and said "Do u like the winner's performance I felt that someone else was better deserved. I know my daughter sucked,she just sucked" the other lady said no no why do u think so she did very well but this lady was like no I know she sucked. I was quiet surprised by her reaction I mean ur daughter simply didn't come first so u r mad at her. I immediately asked her r u going to say this to ur daughter,I said at times u must be harsh on her she said no no; then i asked why are u disgracing ur own daughter among parents oh common getting selected and standing on stage and delivering a speech is itself an achievement everyone can not do this. In everything whatever ur child does if u try to tell them u are wrong then how can they be creative. We are now running education systems where mistakes are the worst thing u can make and result is that we are educating people out of their creative capacities. If you are scared to be wrong, you become scared to be creative....this is where the actual problem lies

2 people like this.