1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I trust my 16 year old DD but her closeness with boys makes me little uncomfortable!!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by blessed, Mar 16, 2013.

1. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

My only daughter is sweet sixteen ,beautiful, tall and very good academically, she is always full of life & enjoy's everything she does, she was a shy girl till last year that is till she completed her 10th but now I have noticed she has lots of friends both boys and girls and is always communicating either by mobile,FB or just chat.. though it is annoying but I don't mind because she is still doing great in her studies. She just finished her 11th exams and it all started from last week like she and her friends (around 4 boys and 5 girls) started going to Malls ,coffee shops etc just to hang around and have fun, she reaches home by 8.00 PM but I really get nervous when she is not home by then and she gets irritated if I keep calling her on her mobile. DH says its the age to enjoy so don't disturb her but as a mother I am worried as I have even noticed that these girls wear T and shorts, Capri etc though my DD wears only Jean and T shirt or Capri but her friends seems to be ultra mod. I am just waiting for this hols to be over so she will be back in to her studies.
    She has blocked me from FB, Mobile has pass word, till now I really thot she shares everything with me.. Should I just let it go like passing phase in my DD;s life or should I be little more serious.

1 person likes this.

2. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Re: I trust my 16 year old DD but her closeness with boys makes me little uncomfortab

IF I was your DD I would want my mom to give me some space.

If I were you, I would keep the space but talk to her casually about a "mother's worries", may be even cook up stories about friend's DD ;-)

You well know its this age...so dont hold on to her neck but do keep your hands on her shoulders....so she knows when she needs she can lean on...

Do talk to her about blocking from FB but dont force her in undoing it.....U kno na that any tag by friends can make you think anything....may be that's why she chose to block u....

3. smritisinha

smritisinha Platinum IL'ite

Re: I trust my 16 year old DD but her closeness with boys makes me little uncomfortab

Ya that age!!! When I used to hate my mom for asking too many questions!

Turns out, it wouldn't have been bad had I answered them, nothing harmful, nothing out of the line, nothing extravagant about it, but just wanted to have some space and the feeling of doing something without "telling" or "asking".

Its that age, really.

I suggest, you can call all her friends (including guys) over for some small treats every now and then, so that you know what kind of people she hangs out with. Be friendly without asking too many questions, but just observe.

And ya, DG is right. My mom cooked up a lot of stories!!! :bonk

2 people like this.
  4. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Try knowing about her friends both boys and girls by inviting them home as Smriti says..If your DD says we will not be able to eat out,say door delivery would be fun with friends around..If they like it,then they would prefer to come to your place for a meet,and you will also be relieved..

sindmani, vidyavisu and Dinny like this.
  5. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

Blessed, its all in the age as others said...my cousins of the same age go to malls n movies together with boys..i think you should give her some space..i have faced this from my mom too..as mothers its our duty to protect our kids but being overprotective is wrong..this is what my mom did and i would say the worst part of my life is teenage..you are in guntur, i dont think its not that big city that you cant keep track of your daughter..do that once in a while but dont keep pestering her abt that..trust me not all teenagers are wrong...

6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

We all have had our mother daughter conflicts when we were teenagers right?
    Its your job as a mom to lay down the boundaries and its the teeanagers to push them .

Though i think no matter what, moms need to stay in control in order to avoid having an argument escalate into a hurtful ugly fight. To stop this from happening moms might say"I won't discuss this with you until you can talk civilly" and walk away. Later moms and daughters can talk about whether there was any truth to the accusation. Most important it's an opportunity for moms to teach their daughters that how they say something is just as important as what they say.

So Ok her mobile is locked and you cant even track her friends on FB.
    Now either its because you are a strict mom (you dont really sound like one though) or that your daughter is actually hiding something (otherwise she would not block you from FB).So basically its communication gap that has to be reduced here.You must know more about her friends but ask it in a way which doesnt make it obvious.

She's 16 and by now she knows whats wrong and whats right.You said she dresses sensibily that goes on to prove my point
    And remember You've lived through 2 AM feedings, toddler temper tantrums, and the back-to-school blues. So why is the word "teenager" causing you so much anxiety?...chill!!
    Your teenager is doing just fine:)

2 people like this.
  7. blessed

blessed Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sush
    Sorry I really don't reside in Guntur but we live in one of the Metro city, I was very scared if I would be identified by any of my close relative sorry if I have misled the ILites.
    I am a bit over protective but I do it without her noticing it, I always ask her to keep me informed where ever she goes as I don;t want other people to tell me that I have seen your DD is so and so place..

8. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

I personally would not like my son/daughter stay out late simply because it is unsafe. Maybe you could tell your daughter to finish her socializing before say six in the evening. Another point here is that children do not realize the value of money. I have one son and we do everything for him. He is five and we have started saying NO to toys every time we go to the market. I may sound old fashioned but that my line of thought. As long as the child is dependent on us he/she has to inform parents and not get irritated when parents call.

2 people like this.
  9. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Well i would say give her a pepper spray, ask her to install bsafe , gps tracker, find my friend or an app like that so that you know where she is and be honest to you....

I agree space is required by the child but rather than shutting off the parent she should also be a little receptive of the concerns you have and her responsibilities.....

And by now i assume you have had ''the talk'' with her regarding boys.......

Note:
    you will require a smartphone to use the android apps, even cheap one's will do to give realtime locaion updates..........

Bsafe doesnt require you to have a smartphone as it gives sms only and a link to map location in emergency which can be seen through normal gprs enabled phone

10. vidhya3b

vidhya3b IL Hall of Fame

She might need some space. But your concerns is genuine as well. Don rush into this. Act calmly.
    When I was at teens, I used to blindly oppose my parents for everything. They should be handled very carefully. Make her favorite dish on a holiday or something. Make the environment pleasant @ home. Talk about your concern gradually. As someone already said, ask her to come home before 6 pm. Tell her it’s because of the safety issue. If you talk so much about guys, she might mistake in a way that you do not trust her at all and she will just get hurt and will never listen to you. So talk carefully. Don't worry. Everything will be fine.

2 people like this.