1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help for preteen girls ?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by hrastro, Mar 3, 2013.

1. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

My friend has a DD10, the girl has matured recently and is really suffering from very heavy flows - she has to take leave from school for a whole WEEK and her periods are going on for 10 days in a month!!

She has tried many kinds of pads, but the girl is really thin, with thin legs and the pads are scrunching..

I checked online about Adira period panty and would like to know if it is good? If someone has used any good pads for school going thin pre-teens, please share!! This friend is really worried since her daughter matured early!!!

Also, doctor has told her that the DD wont grow in height because of her early puberty??? I was like What nonsense!??!?!? you grow till 18!!! but the mother says she also didnt grow too much after puberty but she attained puberty at 14 so, it was ok, this girl is not even 4'9" now!!! So the mother is quite worried!

Please help me calm this friend !!!

HR

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hrastro, there are cases where early puberty is synonymous with stunted height, ans since the mother feels that she had the same issue, maybe talking to a good gynaec and endocrinologist is the way forward and also too much bleeding in a kid who is thin and small is really worrying to me. but 10 is the average is age of menarche these days. I have a friend whose daughter hit it at 8.

keep her iron, vitamins under normal levels. keep her healthy.

the little that i have read on early menarch and precocious puberty, suggests that there are medicines to help..but i am not a med pro.

the best the mom can do for her kiddo, is teaching personal hygiene, being calm and supportive. also keep watch on her flow, the number of pads, keep a diary of her period cycle, the pains if any. if the mom has any history of pcos, to monitor with the help of her gynecology.

2 people like this.
  3. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

omg, periods at 10..its really scaring me..

4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Right even i felt 10yrs was too young to get periods

Its not that after periods girls dont grow but they grow at a slower rate is what i think but dont know if its scientifically correct or not.

5. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

I know. My mom got hers at 16. I got mine at 12. I'm afraid for my daughter, if the trend continues!

My growth slowed when I got it, and I stopped growing around 15 or so. There may be some truth to that, but your friend should consult a gynecologist at least to be sure.

1 person likes this.
  6. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

I had a friends dd who started period at 11. Same height worry. But girl continued to grow in height till 14 or so and gained atleast 5 inches and now is 5'5. She is same height as her big brother. My friend now says why her ds got the short genes!

1 person likes this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

sushama,

10 is the new average at which lot of kids start their periods. it was 12/14 10 years back now it is 10. my gynaec says there are cases of 8/9 that she is aware of. it is the same all over the world.

infact i took my daughter for her first gynaec visit at 9 , when she started complaining of stomach cramps. since i have been suffering with all possible complications with my ovaries and uterus i never wanted to take a chance.

it is better giving them a little awareness on the usage of pads, and periods. my dd was taking a safety pad pouch in her bag by 10 years

3 people like this.
  8. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Kudos to you!! you are a smart mom!!:clap

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/magazine/puberty-before-age-10-a-new-normal.html
    Glenn D. Braunstein, M.D.: Is 7 the New 10? Why Do Some Girls Start Puberty So Early?
    Now, girls hit puberty at 10 - Times Of India
    Indian kids hitting early puberty - Health - IBNLive
    Puberty much earlier : Health, News - India Today

Disclaimer : these links are to show that this is the new normal age. and to create awareness rather than fear, as i see some of my friends surprised at the age. while i remember there was a thread where a ilite discussed her daughter getting it very early.

1 person likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame