1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

5 yr son asking about love

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by renuga, Aug 30, 2012.

1. renuga

renuga Senior IL'ite

I am mother of 5 yr old son.One day we both watching movie and a guy and a gal college guys talking with each others.he was asking me whether they are in love.I was really shocked and told him they are friends.He asked me back what is love and what is friendship.I some have explained .suggest me how should I explain him about love that to for small age.I heard from his friends parents that guys while playing always talks about love at this age.How should I guide him to understand this is not the age to talk about love.please help me

2. bhoomi87

bhoomi87 Senior IL'ite

just tell him that love is the feeling that he(ur son) feels towards mom and dad..

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Renuga
    You have to delicately handle this issue you cannot give offhand response becausae since the other kids discuss this you cant even tell it is not age for discussing it so this needs alot of thinking and replying if you give offhand response or tell him not to discuss then he will get more curious and will get information from outside which may be wrong and you lose to be person with whom he can always get a response
    " You can say when you like something very much that you dont want to hurt or part means you love that thing" give him example of his favourite thing... It will do for now

You can check this link which lists kids perspective of love
    Love according to 4-8 year olds!

2 people like this.
  4. navis

navis Gold IL'ite

hi, renuga

even mine is of the same age and i hope all the kids of this age had great exploration of each word their tiny brain stores..last month he went for summer camp ,but other than activities and play they had a counseling with combined catacesium according to their mental age group. and some lovely explanation which they provided each kid was really appreciable
    love-(they asked kids to wish their parents and siblings atleast 2 to 3 times a day as "I love you mom'........ and asked us to repeat the same "I love you............"( the explanation which they gave was "when God created the world he created all that things which he loved ,so whenever God saw them he remembered to wish them by saying "i love you dear....... animals, birds, moon, stars......because he wanted them to be good. so whenever you see your loved ones nearby like your mom, dad, siblings always remember to wish them by saying thes words.

for few days everyone in our house was like
    :confused2: but then we got used to it and now after a month he became bored to say i am happy atleast he got the word in a positive way.

for each and every distinguished word which kids of these age ask they had a different explanation which connected them to Gods creation and his unconditional love.

just try your self by giving explanation or story by which the kids understand it better

2 people like this.
  5. renuga

renuga Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your reply gals.when he asked me about love I just told him what we have in family.dad and mom loves you and you love both of us.from that he came to conclusion that if he like other than family member then its friendship.

Running
    when read the link it was really fun.

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Renuga,

You are in a better position because your son asked about love! Mine (6yrs old!) was asking her dad, "Daddy how do you know whom to marry?"

My DH told her, "when you meet someone who makes you think both of you will be happy forever being together, you may choose to marry that person". Not sure how much she understood though!

Coming to explaining love, just tell your son...love is liking someone always, even if they are good or bad. Like how you love daddy, mummy and the rest in our family.

Only when we avoid answering them on anything, they get more curious and start thinking too much about it. When they are answered, they forget and move on :)

4 people like this.
  7. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

Hello friends,
    Good thread !! Think i'm still on the safer zone (am i really? ) , my son (8 yrs ) have'nt raised any such questions. But is it good to explain them about love like what navis wrote about the counselling?. But my son's agenda is " I love because i like " .. Sweet and simple for his age.. :)

8. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Hi Renuga,

My daughter shared an experience of hers. She goes to school by van. Earlier a boy of her class, named Chethan used to go in the same van. Now they shifted to someother place and hence goes by other van to school.
    DD and that boy met at the gate and said hi to each other, which was noticed by DD's classmate, a girl, who said ,
    "Neha keep away from chethan, he is my boy friend and i hate any girl who tries to be friendly with him".

Neha comes back as asks, mamma, "who is a boy friend. should i not talk to someone's boy friend?"

I had to tell her, "Boy friend is a friend who is a boy. Maybe the one who asked you to keep away from chethan has no other friend to talk to so she is worried. you chill and have fun"

9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Chill!!!
    I have a 6yr old son who was proposed by our neighbor's daughter for marriage :)
    My neighbor and me just laughed it off...
    If you try to scare children saying this is not your age to think of love then i think they'll misunderstand this.
    And be prepared in future some of the questions that your son will ask will leave you completely scandalised.I also dont know how to deal with such questions but i know one thing that if i scold my child for asking this then it will effect the communication between him and me.
    So I try to explain things in simple words without making a big deal about it. :)