1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I am proud to be uncool.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Megalife, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Who thinks I am uncool???….who else but my so-called cool kids! May be they don’t say it out, but I get those vibes.
    My car is always in a mess from the inside, grocery coupons, gymnastic costumes, tennis shoes, swimming kits etc....) But then the mess is caused by their chaotic stuff. Can’t balme me. Whereas I go bonkers when they leave their bath towel on the floor, don’t carry their plate off the table, leave lights on, forget to do tidy up their study table….presuming that the maid will clear up after them. I go mad. Is that being uncool and unfair?
    In my “youth”, wait a sec…youth in (" ") for special emphasis and past tense, …for, my kids think I am a real oldie now…… Well, how young do they supposed I can possibly be with my oldest one 12 yrs…unless I had eloped with a vagabond in my teens?
    Ok…let me continue…in my youth, I used to be glitzy and lively…attended a respectable school…..was the head-girl, did fairly well in both curricular and co-curricular activities, had an appropriate university education. Neither was I the plain Jane. So does my heart bleed when I am called uncool. In fact NOin essence, I’m an uncool mom and I’m proud of this status. WHY?.... It may give you a few minutes of peace by saying yes to everything your child wants, but in the long run, it’s crippling your child from gaining real-world coping skills, diluting their ethics, not to mention squashing your own needs as your life centers around the child. Remember, as a smart, caring parent of a growing child, you are not trying to win a popularity contest, you are just trying to be a proper parent.
    I have set bed-times, meal etiquettes, self-study-routine (no spoon feeding, you want to succeed then work towards success on your own terms, we as parents can just support you from the background). If you have a party at home make sure its during spring/winter/summer breaks and all the friends are out by 10 pm latest. Also if you attend a party the pick up time is never going be later than 9.30 pm. Wear modest clothes, you can be killer-fashionable within the limits of decency. Carry yourself about in a respectable manner, be smart yet polite, be a responsible global citizen. If asking for all this is being uncool, then I am pleased with this title.
    I am not defending over protectiveness, neither do I belong to that breed of over-protective parents who control the lives of their wards through remote control. Parents who complete homework for their kids. Who always take their kids' lunches to them at elementary school when they forget their lunch bags. Who fight their child's teacher every time the child gets in trouble in class. Who sue the school because their child gets kicked off a school sports team for blatantly disobeying the rules. Parents who are in constant, micromanagement contact with their children via cell phone to the point that the kids never have to make decisions on their own. Who show up on college campuses to argue about grades with their child's teacher. I don't get it and I am certainly not one of them. Many of today’s parents were raised by “Greatest Generation” parents who had set for us a certain code of conduct. Do a few of today’s parents not like the way they turned out, and are doing everything the opposite…more liberal, no rules absolutely what so ever?
    That being said, I am not so strict that I don't let my kids have any freedom. I am always looking for ways in which they can safely and sensibly have independence, entertainment, fun………….which some day I know they will realize was very cool.:spin:thumbsup

22 people like this.

2. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

I simply loved your post mega..Its really "So Cool" and after reading this I too would proudly say that I am UNCOOL !! DD is 5+ and she is too young to categorize me..although she has already started sayin - why do you always keep nagging mumma but I know rest family members in the house somewhere within do feel I am arrogant, nagging, try to be dominating...off-spoken or out-spoken blah blah...and similar reasons as yours -
    1. save electricity bill on TV, which is on whole day long..rather than on exhausts and AC's in humid days for which doors are kept wide open in a house easily viewable n accessible from outside.
    2. DD can watch TV for an hour daily...be it in a stretch or in instalments..
    3. keep safe distance from TV.
    4. use ample light while cooking, reading or TV.
    5. keep music low..so as others are not disturbed.
    6. place things in their place as soon as need is over
    7. even if we r sikhs...(DH is cut surd against MIL wish) and I have always loved and I have been the ONLY ONE to care for DD's long hair...I trim her hair once in 2 mths to get rid off split-ends..I shouldn't do that!!
    8. what elders say is always correct bcos they are elders....and if you feel they are wrong..dont say...listen...dont express..listen each time..each time...do what you want and again keep listening :)
    I feel better to keep my conscience clear..if I feel something's wrong..express it...if other person too is comfortable good enuf and if not, then when you are doing your way..at least the other is well informed in prior the reason behind doing your own way..rather than making him/her feel disrespected for having listened but not following.
    9. Study is not just passing..or passing with good marks..its understanding and implementing.

SORRY...I know I took this way out of topic...but these I feel are seeds which will nurture into plants as DD grows !!

1 person likes this.
  3. mansimahi

mansimahi Gold IL'ite

hahaha mega...dont i know it....i too belong to the "uncool" MOM club!!! Recently i read that michele obama's daughters too think that she is uncool. So first lady of the world or not... lets rest in peace that all moms are uncool to their children.

I lose count of the number of times my older daughter (a typical 15year old) rolls her eyes in a single day.... i would be shocked if it doesnt roll once every hour atleast!!! "maaa...puhleeeeeze" is the favourite thing to say whenever she thinks i am in my "MOM" mode. My younger one (almost 6) dutifully heroine worships her sis and does whatever her sis does... i am already dreading her teens ....
    all said and done... both know that i mean business when i mean business and yet know that they have enough freedom to explore and experience life on their own terms and that i have confidence in them never to misuse the freedom...if that makes me the "uncoolest" mom...then so be it.

4 people like this.
  4. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear happy2be
    Thank you, you do not have to be sorry in the least....I agree to your views and loved your imput. The problem is kids do not understand what makes us being uncool...Eg: too much of TV; besides loosing precious time you end up with soda glasses at a pretty early age, which will make them look so Uncool...so for us, its rather that we be uncool than make them live an uncool life.
    Wearing modest clothes, we want them as young kids to sent across the right message...we have perverts amidst us....while we cannot change the way these "one track minds" work, atleast we can have them dressed up decently (specially so when they are without our supervision)...again we come into their Uncool book of rules :)
    So on goes the list.... thanks for sharing
    Mega

1 person likes this.
  5. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mansi
    Where have you been dear?...your charisma has made this thread worthwhile.
    Hmmm...ask me.???..i am nodding my head in agreement.
    What irks the most is when we are compared to the likes of "this cool mom" and "that "cool mom"!
    Kidzz in general are over-smart, they think by rubbing on the wrong side we might develop wobbly limbs....mistaken they are!!!!
    Mega

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Mega,

Uncool?? oh boy, is that how people term me?? well atleast i am blessed with small mercies, mine don't think i am one or i would have known..but when the kids do understand what is being stressed by parents they tend to be termed uncool, wierd and abnormal and i have seen it happening to mine.

i don't want to talk much about what the kids do to be termed that..but let me clarify that it is all that you have stated..showing a little more respect, being a little more humane, a little independent.

I still remember few of my daughter's classmates hooted at her, when she was standing in a eb bill queue, and pulled her leg for doing such a mundane job. i asked her if she felt bad..she said no..that she was learning the ways of life and helping her mom, and she is not going to bow under the peer pressure..

Uncool, hitler, disciplinarian what's in a name, as long as i am doing my duty and responsiblity towards a life i brought into the world...

1 person likes this.
  7. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hey Shanvvy
    Thanks !
    Smart little girl, your dd, i must say.God Bless.
    Exactly, irrespective of the name, like Mansi too stated, we are determined to see that certain norms are executed...so they can do the christening with whichever name they deem apt...who cares......???Mega

8. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

This post reminded me of an oath that I had taken when my older one was a baby, that i would be the coolest mom ever!!I have a very good friend who would pull my legs about me becoming one of those'regular moms' whilst I would vehemently say that I wouldnt.
    However, 7 years and I am far far away from being termed anything synonymous to 'cool'...:)
    And thanks ladies, i am not alone..I am also very proud to call myself uncool...my kids think that i am in no way lesser than a tyrannous dictator etc but the fact is I enjoy being the uncool, regular mom!

9. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

parents can never be cool for teenage kids!! nice post!

10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mega...
    Wow what a coooooooool gal you are and hats off for all you uncool moms you are making your kids a responsible citizen..... by being un cool to them....

1 person likes this.