1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Moms of IIT JEE aspirants

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by jothi, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I have a son who is doing his IIT-JEE training. He started last year currently doing his X std.
    I was wondering if there are any moms like me IL who have children taking classes for IIT.
    How is you son /daughter coping with the classes and the stress. Sometimes I myself wonder if it is really necessary for him, but then again IIT is IIT. No comparison right. So ladies if there is anyone out there like me pls reply so we can exchange our views and opinions.

Jothi.

2. gdeepanu

gdeepanu Senior IL'ite

HI

Even i want to join my Nephew in IIT coahing center. she studying in 6th std. Is it really needed to start the classes by 6th? pls share u r experience

Regs
    Gdeepanu

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

jothi long time. nice to see you here. for the very same reason, i have been thinking i will put my son for iit - jee coaching when he starts his xi. right now in viii. i do not want him to stop enjoying life. he loves to play cricket and both these classes clash with each other..so iit-jee coaching is on the back burner. i may not even send him to one though he will attempt jee.

I know one kid who has no life other than school, homework, tutions and weekends it is fitjee coaching. 20x7 he is studying, or in some class.

these days there are coaching from 6th. i am not sure if there is any need for such vigorous stressful ones, coaching for olympiads, iit-jee.. i think as long as parents are competitive, and more pushy these coaching centres are going to mint money. at 6th standard, the child may not be sure which group he is going to chose later..

do keep discussing..

4. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Shanvy, thanks for your input.
    yeah it has been a long time. life was so hectic this past year. just took some time off from work, looking into the possibility of a new venture.
    I totally agree that these classes are very stressful for the children. My son is only in X, so he has his time to do the things that keep his mind off of studies. It is not so much of a stress for him right now, that may not be the case next year or the year later. IIT 's being in the top 10 of all the colleges in India, I guess we all want our children to study in one. But then again are so many other institutions, where one can get a good quality education. So just trying for it is not that harmful.

jothi.

5. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

deepanu,

There are so many classes for sixth standard children aiming fot IIT. But I feel that it is very early for them. VIII or IX might be better.

Jothi.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Jothi, all the best for your new venture..understood from the thread in housing.

so does he go to fitjee coaching in a.n or goes to mylapore..i was told today by a would-be neighbour that there are vans that take children to these classes from my place..and here i was so ignorant of this..

with the limited number of seats and the high cut-offs, and tough competition, only the fittest get through. i dont find any harm in kids trying these tests..

1 person likes this.
  7. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

I appreciate all the moms who are very keen to make their children to study in the most prestigious technical schools of India ,,,Yes IIT is IIT and no comparision for it..College life plays a vital role in anyone's life and it is like foundation to one's career..

I really love the aim of getting into IITs..But it is not really mandatory to start the coaching i school itself...Let them enjoy their school life buy studying,playing and taking part in extra circular activities and improving their interests in their hobbies,etc..Its enough if they start preparing for it from xith standard and really it works!!I really got disappointed here after reading few Ilites thinking about to start the coaching from 6ht class onward..It is only xi and xii standard syllabus that they test and not from 6th onward...Dont scold me for telling like this..:rotfl

Let them enjoy their school days and don't develop stress in them from now itself...Childhood never comes back and it should be a sweet memory to anyone..plese let them live!!!

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I so agree with you spuppala, but what do you tell parents who feel that their kids should not miss the boat that they literally lift them into the boat without waiting to know if their kids wants to join the boat..

i have heard lot of kids who joined in 6th just losing interest and stop going to these coaching classes too.

childhood happens only once..and let them live it fully is my motto too.

9. milesurmeratumhara

milesurmeratumhara New IL'ite

Hi there,

I have a son in 12th who has been going for coaching since 11th...from last year.this year, the classes are almost everyday.
    He wants to put himself through the rigour and wants to get in and is quite driven right now.

If he hadn't taken these classes, he would have watched Tv after coming back from school or played outside endlessly or more hours on facebook.
    The teenage years are quite tough with peer pressure and lot of distractions.
    I am not sure whether he would get IIT but his mind is kept occupied with a good peer group who are all focused in getting into some competitive exams.

But sometimes, he gets overwhelmed with too much to do...schoolwork, IIt coaching tests...But well, just 2 years and then I know his hard work will pay off.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

milesurmera..

This is what i wish to think about for my son. going for coaching in the 11th is different from being put under the same training from 6th.
    all the best for your son to crack the entrance and get a good rank.

1 person likes this.