1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

URGENTLY _ Please help --- Improve Kid's interest for writing / studies

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by RachnaShah, Mar 17, 2011.

1. RachnaShah

RachnaShah New IL'ite

Hi friends,

Pleaseeeee help.

I am very much nervous as last couple of months my daughter is in a phase that she doesn't complete her work in school & every other day there is a complaint from her class teacher. Class work incomplete/ H. W. Incomplete. She is in 2nd std. Am not sure what's wrong with her. It's not even that I am not taking time for the studies. But, when ever I ask for a particular book she says teacher have taken it for checking. I have also checked her back her shelf. Book was not there. Next day I receive a remark. Now the teacher is blaming me saying that I don't pay attention to her, I don't teach her.etc.., Do you really think so?? I mean I go to work,come home by 7pm. cook food, take her studies.

But, I know there is some problem with my daughter. She is a brilliant child the teacher also agrees to it. But even she is surprised about what has happened to her.

She won't tell me any thing.I tried to explain her by talking to her. I punished her by not talking to her at all. Yesterday I also shouted & beat her. I am really feeling very bad :cry: about it. But, I am really feeling scared about what is wrong with her. Why is she not writing. I also asked her if she is not able to see clearly what's written on the blackboard thinking maybe she is facing an eye problem, but she says she can see clearly. :drowning

Do you think she is would be too much bored with her schedule?? I mean she come from school by 3.15pm (nowadays she is having half days, she comes home by 12.45 pm) then goes for tutions at about 4.15 - 4.30 to 5.30 - 6pm. After which she plays. She used to go for dance class on Tuesdays & Thursday's 6 - 7pm (directly from tutions) But its she who wanted to go. So I guess she is happy about it. On sundays she goes for abacus classes 10 to 12. Is it too much for her. Is it that I have over loaded her with activities???? Nowadays she is behind me that she also wants to go to Bharat Natyam classes which are in her school Fridays & Saturdays. Should I listen to her & pay the fees or that will be overloading for her. I put her in these classes because she is interested.

Friends, please guide me how to tackle this matter. I don't want to scold her & beat her. I also think its because she gets bored writing. I have now started to make her write 1 or 2 pages with a time limit. Hope this would help to speed up her writing. Please tell me if you have any other way to increase her speed in writing. I stay in South Mumbai. Does anybody know speed writing classes in our area.

Thanks for taking time to read. Smallest :idea are also welcome.

Rachna

2. parusabari

parusabari Silver IL'ite

Hi Rachana,

Chill first.
    Dont enroll her for anymore classes till she starts studying and writing more properly.

Is your child underage for the class? Here i mean to ask generally some children are enrolled earlier in the school, initially they cope up well but as they move to higher grades complaints of they not able to write properly are shared by many parents.
    Is your child missing her friend? Any dear friend of her got rellocated to other school.
    Please also do check if the child is safe in tuition class, dance class etc and no body is bullying her or teasing her .

Hope others also help you.

Parvathi.

3. RachnaShah

RachnaShah New IL'ite

I found this online. Will this help??? May be YES!!!! :thumbsup

Every parent wants their children to have a leg up when it comes to their education. One of the best ways to help your children excel is to help them to increase their writing speed. If their writing speed increases, they are more likely to keep up with teacher's handwritten notes and finish their homework faster. It also gets them on the fast track for college, where most professors simply lecture the class without consideration for the children who write too slowly to keep up. You don't need any special tools to help your child write fast. Just take the time to work with them.

Select a book that is at your child's reading level. For example, if you are coaching a third-grader to write fast, do not select a reference book such as Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species."

Select a sizeable paragraph or chapter from the book. Set it in front of your child and have them copy the segment of the book about five times.

Switch to a new section of book every time your child copies the information a full five times. This gives them something new to read so the task does not become too tedious.

Read your child's work after each exercise for precision. Don't just read the first few copies, though; read them all to ensure your child did not just add filler to each page.

4. RachnaShah

RachnaShah New IL'ite

Thanks for your note Parvati. But I don't think any of the thing you mentiond are affecting her. As she is 8yrs & in 2nd std. She mostly is alone at home. I just changed her tutions because her previous teacher was just not doing anything. She used to go there & do somestudies & then play. I think she is now habited to that situation& doesn't want to study for more than 15 - 20 mins. Again, she is very happy going to dance class. She enjoys it. Infact she is only told me that she want's to go to Bharat Natyam. I was just thinking that now since she would have summer break after exams I would try to get her writing speed improved. Please let me know if you have an :idea

May be I am not able to spend more time with her & she is with my mom most of the time. My mom is a very strict person. Hope everything would be fine soon

Best,
    Rachna

5. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

How many hours does your child play in a week? BTW how much is she required to write? As for you not working with your child, does the teacher expect you to sit with her in class to complete the work?

Find out what exactly happens in class-is it too much information to write within a short period of time? Is she distracted?

As for homework, when does she do it? Does she get to play for a bit and then sit to study? Children have extra feelers for their parents' stress levels-especially when it is about them. So take a deep breath and look at things in perspective-it will help your daughter.
    R

6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Rachna

Do you really think she needs tuitions? She is just in the second standard and you are teaching her after school anyway, why do you send her for tuitions? I would suggest at this age, let her go to classes that she enjoys (dance) and just relax her tuition. They have all their older lives for academic pursuits.

I am not yet at the stage you are in because my child is only 6 months old. But I observed this with my niece who is like your child. She's in school. then tuition and then you teach her as well. May be she find that she's overwhelmed by studies!

7. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

HI rachana

i completely agree with peartree..

please do not overload her.let her play for more time and see wat will be result.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Rachna, I have to agree with peatree here. why are you sending her to tutions? Her inclination to want to learn bharatatyam classes is an indication that she may be looking/interested in other activities. I think you should pay attention to that fact also. She is still young and it is more important that she form good habits over activities. So in my opinion, cut down tutions, help her to express and excel in other areas that she is interested in, continue her abacus if you wish, but with tutions going off, she might be able to devote more time to actual writing, reading and enjoying. This may be more work for you, but you can write up some assignements for her with teachers help and encourage her.

9. puspita

puspita Silver IL'ite

I agree with you peartree.....

I dont find any point of sending to tuitions....I think u r working and may be thinking that u cant give time for ur kid's study n therefore sending for tuitions....
    But she is too young...if she will study 1/1n half hr a day, thats enough...no need to stress her...
    Now give her more time in playing , dancing etc..... everything will be ok....

10. RachnaShah

RachnaShah New IL'ite

Would like to thank you all for your replies.

Actually, the reason I send her for tuition is that I sometime come late from work or have to travel. In that case she does nothing on her own ( I know she is too young for it) so may be at least when she goes for tuition she can study for at least an hour or so & even if I manage to reach home on time then I can spend time with her rather than teaching her.

She is slow in writing & there is much more to write in school which she is not able to complete. The teacher expect parents to check the child's book & whatever have been done in class & complete whatever H.W or C.W (incomplete) which I do check. But, the problem here is that she manages to complete whatever meaning, the Ans no. 1 or 2 is & doesn't write Q 3 or may be make sentences, etc... Now she doesn't tell me that she couldn't complete it. How would I know that there is a next question after whatever last she have written.

I don't take her studies regularly. Once or thrice a weak. Just to know that she know what is taught in class & the tuition teacher is teaching her & its not that she goes there & just studies for 10 - 15 mins & then play.

She gets lots of time to play but, There is no child in our house to play with her. We stay in a parsi colony & hardly kids come down to play. So she generally sits in front of the T.V (I have told her not to watch cartoon for more then 1 hr) She feels lonely I guess. I have started taking her to the garden on Sundays. Am trying to keep her engaged in classes so that she can keep herself busy & also be with friends.