1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grade 3 boy hates writing

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Suriya, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Suriya

Suriya New IL'ite

My son is in grade 3. He doesn't write his homework properly. he writes one letter and talks for 10 minutes and again another letter and so on. But he likes drawing, craft works which he does for hours together. Even after getting beatings from his english teacher for not completing his copy writing during holidays, he wrote very slowly. His writing is good
    and neat but very slow. What is wrong with him ? Are they giving too much for this age? Compared to children of other schools, work given in my son's school is very less. Kindly help.

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi Suriya,
    please consult a paed. and find out about any councellor. Get your child assessed- if he is doing things the right way for his age etc. will be tested. Then you will know if there is any problem and you will also get help about how to handle that. So please do take your paed.'s advice. Or else find if there is any councellor (for children) in your area and go to that person. It would be easier to find out thro your paed. All the best!

3. Suriya

Suriya New IL'ite

Thank you Varaleshmy. Immediately I'll consult my paed.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Suriya, I would think it is a natural occurance - you say he is good in crafts and drawing but dislikes his home work and looks like the home work is repetetive practise of handwriting. Logically thinking, there is no creativity in that and he might be a child who thrives on that and hence his resisitence - atleast is what I think.

He is also at too young a age to understand that there are certain things he needs to do whether he likes it or not. So I feel you should give him an incentive if he does his writing home work and also encourage him to write other ways, may be creatively even if it is 3 or 4 sentences a day. You can say some thing like "hey you practised these letters in your homework, why don't you write a sentence and show me" Allow him to take time here to write and once he does it well, do display it in a place where you can feel proud of it and appreciate it so that he feels good.

Also when you know he has this home work, get ahead of him and start nudging him to finish it in bits and pieces. Also if he pauses to talk, gently nudge him and tell that if he writes non stop for a minute or this many words or sentences with out talking, then you will listen to him for two minutes. Believe me it works and you will help instil good habits, even though it looks like baby steps.

Many kids his age and even at later stages donot prefer to write and with more and more use of computers, it is getting redundant - that is whole different subject anyways. Sometimes i am left wondering about how little I myself write anyways these days.

The point I am trying to make is by focusing on instilling habits and not on handwriting home work alone, you will help him far better. So even though I am sure you are a very patient mom, I urge you to be more patient as far as this is concerned. These are the lessons I am learning as a mom as well - my goal is to give my kids learn things that last longer and help them in good stead.

There should not be any reason for this to happen and you can help!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  5. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I agree with Rama this is the time when kids do not have concentration on one definite thing also copywriting seems monotonous after few days.You may need to sit beside the kid n coax him sweetly to finish his home work n after that priase him for the work done n reward ( actually I dont like the idea of reward for then they may learn to play pranks till you fulfil their demands that I think unhealthy I myself follow the praise route) anyway check which holds for your kid n follow.:thumbsup

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I would also recommend that you take him to an eye doctor to be sure he doesn't have dyslexia. Special glasses can be made to alleviate this. He might be having a physical instead of emotional problem.

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

What kind of an idiotic, moronic teacher is that? He/She cannot understand that this is just a 3rd grader. Please complain to the principal about this teacher. This teacher is a disgrace, even in India there are laws that teachers cannot hit children.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011