1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tooth Fairy

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Tulasi, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

Today my six year old son lost his first teeth and he thinks in the night he should put under the pillow in a zipper bag and the tooth fairy will come and give golden dollors..all these he heard from some of his kinder garden friends..I never heard of this India before..I know there is no tooth fairy..how to make him understand this ...can anybody pls enlighten me on this..

Thanks
    Tulasi

2. meeta012

meeta012 Junior IL'ite

Hi:)

The Tooth fairy is an example of folklore sometimes presented to children as fact. Other prominent examples are Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. The realization or discovery that such stories are make-believe is considered a part of growing up.
    Such realizations can also cause significant emotional pain in some children due to feelings of betrayal, while other children regard it as a small matter or are proud of themselves for having unmasked the truth.
    Many adults remember clearly for their whole lives when and how they discovered the truth.
    Typically,on losing a tooth the child places the tooth under his or her pillow before going to sleep. In the morning the child finds a coin,small banknote, or a present in the place of the tooth(placed by mom or dad:)
    A less-common variant is for the child to place the tooth in a glass of water beside the bed. Again, in the morning, the tooth is replaced with a coin. This variant is becoming more popular, as it is far easier for parents to find a tooth in a glass of water beside the bed without waking the child than it is to search under the pillow.
    The primary useful purpose of the tooth-fairy myth is probably to give children a small reward and something to look forward to when they lose a tooth, a process which they might otherwise find worrisome. It also gives children a reason to give up a part of themselves that they may have grown attached to.
    Actually...go right ahead and try it out..its harmless and gives the child something to show off at school the next day:))
    Regards,
    Meeta

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Tulasi

Like Meeta mentioned, it is just a folklore - no harm in giving your child a dollar for his tooth. I did it for my daughter when she lost her tooth - actually I gave her money for quite a few of her teeth - they will grow out of it. Enjoy the simple innocence and joy it brings to him.

Shobana

4. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Meeta & Shobana,

Thank you for your valuable info. I did keep some $$ in the night under the pillow In the morning I told him there was no tooth fairy came. Its me who kept the $$. He understood!

Tulasi