1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A LOVE STORY - Episode 8

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Sep 1, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

A LOVE STORY
    A Serial By Varalotti Rengasamy
    Episode 8

Kumar and Arun walked out of the ICU. Arun held Kumar’s hands. In spite of his being an acclaimed wordsmith Arun could not gather words to express his gratitude to Kumar.

Unable to find their way through his mouth his feelings came through his eyes as copious tears. Kumar understood.

“Take it easy, Arun. I am very happy that you and your father understood each other at last.”

“I have never believed in God ever since my mother died. But when Dr.Kamla offered to be my friend, I felt God’s presence in her company.

“And now I could see God in you. In your kindness, in your wisdom and in your ability to see love even if it is hidden in the deepest layers of one’s heart. After seeing you and Dr. Kamla, I will never have the heart to deny the existence of God.”

Kumar was embarrassed. He quickly switched the topic.

“Relax Arun. Let’s go for a quick breakfast. If I remember right this hospital has an excellent canteen. Onion Oothappam is their specialty. Come let’s go. I am famished.”

Unfortunately their mobiles were still in silent mode and Kamla had tried to reach them a dozen times in five minutes.

2. varalotti

Part 2!

When Arun and Kumar returned to the ICU after half an hour, Dr. Sekhar was frantically searching for them.

“Sir, can you come with me for a second? Mr. Arun Kumar, please wait here.”

As soon as the two men were out of Arun’s earshot Sekhar told Kumar,

“Sir, Mr.Krishnamurthi passed away. Peacefully in his sleep.”

“Oh My God!”

Kumar placed his right hand over his chest as a sign of reverence. He looked up as if to express his thanks to his Creator.

‘Thanks, My Lord for listening to my prayers. I have one more prayer, My Lord. You have done your part of the deal. And I can’t do mine except with your grace. Please bless me with the strength and wisdom to fulfill my promise.’

Dr. Sekhar’s voice brought him to the present.

“Sir, I want you to break the news to Mr. Arun Kumar as softly as possible.”

“I’ll do that, Sekhar. And thanks for all your help.”

“Sir, what have I done for you is just a millionth of what I owe you.”

“Sekhar, I want you to help Arun with the formalities. I don’t know whether he has brought enough money to clear the hospital bills. I will be grateful if you can give him some time for the payment. Please provide him some men to help him in the funeral arrangements.”

“I’ll take care of all that, Sir. You need not have to worry.”

Arun was anxiously waiting for Kumar’s return.

Kumar placed his arms on Arun’s shoulders and spoke very softly.

“Arun, your father passed away. Dr. Sekhar tells me that his death was very peaceful. He died in sleep.”

In spite of Kumar gripping Arun’s shoulders, he sank to the floor sobbing. Kumar sat down on the floor by his side and let him cry for a while.

“Is he still there in the ICU?”

“Yes, Arun. Come, let’s go.”

It looked as if Krishnamurthi was sleeping. His face glowed with peace and understanding. All the wires which bound him to the monitor had been removed. Arun placed his head on his father’s feet and started crying.

3. varalotti

Part 3!

Arun, we have a lot to do. Do you want to inform anybody?”

They had just come out of the ICU.

“I don’t have anybody, Sir. You see, now, I am an orphan. I don’t have a mother, a father, a brother or a sister. I am all alone. I don’t have any other relative in this world.”

“Arun, come on boy. You are a writer. You should know better. Each one of us is alone, mercilessly alone. We may enjoy other’s company for a while. But no one can suffer our pains or enjoy our pleasures. Philosophy apart, I never thought that you will forget your friend, Dr.Kamla so soon.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. Please tell her, Sir.”

It was only then Kumar noticed that his mobile was still in the silent mode and that Kamla had called him several times from her mobile and from their house’s landline number.

4. varalotti

Part 4!

Kumar was really concerned. He moved away from Arun and placed a call to his wife.

“Oh Kumar, where were you all this time?”

Kamla was sobbing over the phone.

“What happened, honey? Any problem?”

“Dr. Rao is dead.”

“My God! What happened?”

“Cirrhosis of the liver. He has been lying to us, Kumar. He never came out of his alcoholism.”

“Oh..”

“How fast can you come here, Kumar?”

“Is there any other problem, Kamla?”

“No.”

Kumar knew that Rao’s death was not the only problem. Rao was Kumar’s classmate and their business partner. But Kamla never had great regards for Dr.Rao though she respected his professional expertise and his administrative efficiency. Dr. Rao’s death should not disturb Kamla this much.

Kumar could deduce that there was something else and that she was not yet prepared to share that with Kumar. Whatever it was he wanted to be with his wife.

“How is Arun doing?”

“His father passed away. Just now. It was a close shave, honey. Fortunately one of my students, Dr.Sekhar is the cardiologist here. I could manage a father-son re-union at the nick of time. They were able to speak out their hearts. The old man died peacefully in his sleep.”

Kamla felt a vague pain in her heart. Though she was relieved that the reunion happened, she was sad that Kumar would be missing his evening drinks for the rest of his life. A habit of thirty five years was coming to an end unceremoniously.

“Kamla, looks like you are troubled. Do you want anything to be done? Any help from me?”

Kamla did not speak for a few seconds. Her heart spoke instead: ‘This is my time to suffer, my dearest. Come what may, I’ll never let you suffer on my account.’

“I badly want to be with you. I just want to hold your hands and cry for a while. If I do that, then I don’t care even if the whole world comes against me.”

“Do you want to talk to Arun?”

“In normal times I would have flown to be with him. But right now I can’t do that. The clinic is in a greater mess, than we all thought. How is he doing?”

“He’s fine. A little upset, but fine. It may be sometime before he comes back to Chennai.”

“I’ll talk to him later. Please do come as fast as possible.”

Kumar could feel the sense of urgency in his wife’s voice. He went in search of Sekhar.

5. varalotti

Part 5!

Arun and Sekhar were in the hospital corridor outside the ICU discussing something.

“Arun, I need to go back. Right now. Kamla’s business partner and my friend Dr.Rao is dead. The clinic is in chaos. Kamla needs me.”

Sekhar came out with a suggestion.

“Sir, I’ll book you in the evening flight. You will be home latest by <st1:time minute="0" hour="21">9 PM</st1:time>. I have organised every thing for Mr. Arun Kumar. Please stay with me till evening. I’ll drop you at the airport.”

A group of men approached them. The person who looked like their leader talked to Dr. Sekhar.

“Sir, I have spoken to the office and they have agreed to release the body to Mr. Arun Kumar on the strength of your personal guarantee. You need to sign these indemnity forms so that I can get the release orders.”

Dr. Sekhar signed below the dotted line.

“We have arranged an ambulance with a freezer box. Where are we going sir?”

“Thirupathur. About an hour’s drive from here.” Arun intervened.

And then he told the leader:

“I don’t want an ambulance. He will come in my car.”

“Is that dark grey Honda City your car?”

“Yes.”

“Sir, it looks like a new car. They say that having a dead body in a new car is sentimentally not all right. Again, the car is not big enough to hold the freezer box.”

But Arun was firm.

“I give a damn to all those blind sentiments. I wanted to take my father for a drive in my new car. I could not do that.

“Let my car at least have the honour of carrying him in his last journey. And I don’t need a freezer box. I will sit in the back of my car and hold his head on my lap.”

6. varalotti

Part 6!

Sekhar, why should you trouble yourself? You have had a long day. I’ll use a cab to go the airport. Why should you drive?”

“When am I going to meet you again, Sir? This is the only way I know to stay with you for an hour longer.”

Kumar was moved and let him have his way.

They reached the airport well in advance for the <st1:time hour="20" minute="0">8PM</st1:time> Jet Airways flight to Chennai. Sekhar insisted on staying with him till the departure was announced.

Unfortunately the incoming flight from Chennai never came and the airline announced the cancellation of its last flight to Chennai with a false sense of regret.
    Kumar was worried. He talked to Kamla for a long time.

Sekhar fought with the airline office and got the ticket transferred to the first flight early in the morning. Thanks to his hospital’s influence he could even upgrade Kumar’s ticket to business class without any extra cost.

Sekhar compelled Kumar to stay with him for the night.

7. varalotti

Part 7!

Sekhar’s house was a four thousand square feet marble-granite marvel in the posh KK Nagar Area. The house was well decorated and well maintained. But what struck Kumar was that there was nobody in the house but for a live-in cook.

Sekhar led Kumar to a large guest bedroom in the first floor.

“Have a wash and come downstairs, Sir. I’ll keep everything ready.”

When Kumar came down after an hour, he was surprised to see something else was ready.

On a carved teak table was placed a bottle of Premium Black Label Whiskey, Kumar’s usual drink. Expensive glass tumblers were by the side. There were also delicious side-eats to go with the drink.

Dr.Sekhar was beaming.

“Sir, you won’t believe this. I called your friends in Chennai and found out your taste. I personally went out and bought this stuff from the military canteen. Very genuine stuff, Sir. Just have a look at what I have done and let me know if you want anything else.”

Kumar did not know what to say.

“It’s very kind of you, Sekhar. But.. but… I can’t.. drink.. today.”

“Are you sad because the patient died? No need to, Sir. Death has been a great blessing to him. I saw the Echo report.

“It is a large block and we could not have done a by-pass. He would have to live the life of a heart-cripple. He’s spared all the pain and agony. So let’s drink to the peace of the departed soul.”

“No Sekhar, I can’t drink, today. You may please go ahead. I’ll sip some soft drinks or fruit juice.”

Dr.Sekhar’s face fell. He was visibly hurt. When he smiled it was a smile of deep despair.

“I should have known, Sir. I have heard from your colleagues that you always drink alone or drink only with classy people. I don’t have that kind of a class to drink with the likes of you, Sir.

“But don’t punish yourself on my account, Sir. I will place all these things in your room. You can drink alone. You may call me if you want anything.”

There was no way now. He had to tell the truth. Otherwise Sekhar will be hurt.

“Come on, Sekhar. I have been drinking regularly for the past 35 years. Even yesterday night I drank. The same stuff. You know what happened…”

Kumar told briefly about Arun, his depression and his relationship with his father. And how he had promised God to quit drinking if he could accomplish the father-son re-union.

“My Lord has been kind enough to grant my prayers. Now tell me Sekhar, do I not have a duty to perform my part? If you still doubt me, I’ll put you on to my wife Kamla.”

Sekhar looked stunned. Even in his wildest dreams he could not think of a reason like that.

Sekhar came near Kumar. Before Kumar could realise what was happening, Sekhar fell down at his feet.

Kumar pulled him up.

“Sekhar, Sekhar, what is this?”

“I could not help comparing you and me, Sir. You quit drinking to help a person who is not even related to you. In my case, my wife begged me not to drink. That too for my own health reasons.

“But I didn’t listen to her. I fought with her and she has gone to her mother’s place. I am now drinking more than my regular quota. Sir, you stand like the great <st1:place>Himalayas</st1:place>. Besides you, I am just plain dirt.”

Kumar hugged a sobbing Sekhar.

Sekhar wiped his eyes and pleaded with Kumar.

“I want to beg a favour from you, Sir. Will you please pray to your Lord that I should have the strength to kick this dirty habit? God won’t listen to prayers from persons like me, Sir. But when you pray, he can’t refuse. Please sir.”

“Don’t worry, Sekhar. I will surely pray for you. But only one condition. You should apologize to your wife and bring her home. You tell her your problems and then seek her help to quit drinking.”

They were talking till very late in the night.

8. varalotti

Part 8!

Krishnamurthi’s body was kept in state in the house he had been living almost all his life. Arun had planned the funeral as a low key affair. There were no posters, no long procession or lavishly decorated bier as was the local custom.

Arun was surprised to see a well-dressed young man accompanied by an old farmer. The old farmer placed a huge rose garland over the body. They then came to Arun.

“You don’t know me, Sir. I was your father’s play-mate in those days. I was a farm- hand and could not afford to educate my son beyond basic schooling.

“Your father forced me to send him to the college and had been paying the college fees from his pocket. But for your father’s continuous guidance he would not have got a bank job.

“Last week my son got promoted as an officer. We came here to see your father. He was very emotional. I told him that my son owed his life and career to him and we were ready to do anything for him. You know what he said? ‘My son Arun is in some kind of trouble. Will you please pray for his well-being?’

Arun could not control his tears.

‘Looks like except me, the whole world has understood his love.’

Marimuthu came the next day to console Arun. He also took care of all the arrangements.

Sethuramalingam and Naren were also there.

Naren held Arun’s hands and consoled him.

“Arun, you should start a trust to perpetuate your father’s memory. The trust can help budding writers.”

“No, Naren, the trust would rather help people who aspire for careers in banking. The world needs bankers as much as it needs writers. And my father was one dedicated banker all his life.”
    Naren agreed.

“Arun, you will have a lot of irritants now, a lot of loose ends to be tied up. Getting a death certificate, succession certificate, name transfers and other things.

We have a lot of people and a lot of contacts at the right places. My PRO will be in touch with you on a day to day basis to help you out in these things. You can also call me on my mobile anytime“

“Thanks a lot, Naren.”

“We need to have a meeting, once you are back in Chennai.”

“Sure, Naren.”

9. varalotti

Part 9!

Arun”

“Hello, Doctor. Nice to hear your voice after a long time. How are you doing?”

Arun had returned to Chennai only the previous day.

“Pretty bad, Arun. I need to talk to you. “

“Are you in trouble, Doctor? I can’t believe that.”

Kamla’s smiled in exasperation.

“We counsellors are also human beings, Arun, with our own problems, pains and frustrations. A counsellor who thinks that she is above the counselled is suffering from the worst type of psychological complex. A time has come where you will have to play the role of my counsellor.”

“I will be there for you, Doctor. If anybody tries to hurt you, I won’t think twice to kill them.”

“Thanks, Arun. Those words mean a lot to me.”

“Ok Doctor, tell me where should I come and when?”

“My clinic. Around 11 this morning.”

“Will be there, Doctor.”

10. varalotti

Part 10!

Ever since his first meeting with Kamla several months ago, Arun had not visited Kamla’s clinic. Kamla’s secretary, Bhavani, beamed at Arun. She let him into Kamla’s cabin immediately.

Arun was shocked to see Kamla’s face. She should have aged several years during the last one month.

“Doctor……”

“Come, Arun. Have a seat. Just a second..”

Kamla buzzed Bhavani.

“Don’t let anybody in. Don’t give me any calls. Anything can wait till I finish talking with Arun.”

She then switched off her cell phone.

She looked at Arun’s eyes. They were radiating with unconditional love for her. She could not withstand that. She broke into a violent sob and started crying.

Arun held her hands and let her cry. A few minutes later Kamla wiped her eyes. Arun gave her a glass of water which she finished in a single gulp.

“I feel better, Arun.”

“Tell me Doctor. What happened?”

Kamla began to talk.