1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

HE Final Episode

Discussion in 'HE - Serial Story' started by varalotti, Mar 7, 2008.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

HE
    A Serial By Varalotti Rengasamy
    Final Episode

Timeline B
    Swamiji asked them all to stay in his Ashram for a day. He hoped that he might get some insights when they all met him the next morning.

Sethu, Sharada and Nalini nodded their assent. Kalpana talked to Priya’s nurse and after getting an assurance that she can stay with them, she turned towards the Swamiji and conveyed her assent.

“Make yourselves comfortable. We’ll meet here soon after breakfast. Keep praying. Who knows we might be shown the way tomorrow.

“Sharada, my child, you had a glimpse of divine love this morning. You’re blessed.

“You pray for all of us, dear. When you pray He can’t simply sit still in His place. He’ll start dancing in joy and give more than what we can ever hope to ask for from Him.”

All the eyes were now on Sharada.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009

2. varalotti

Part 2!
    Sharada and Nalini were assigned to a comfortable hut close to the sea. Kalpana, Priya and her Nursewere housed in a larger hut on the opposite side.

Swamiji wanted to talk to Sethu about many things. He invited him to his hut.

Sethu’s mind had been heavy with a kind of a numb grief ever since he saw Priya.

In a way he was happy because his Priya was alive and safe. He was really moved by her blind love even in that mental state.

But he was also sad because Priya could not recognise him. Now that the intial shock of meeting Priya had waned off, he was more composed.

Priya had been like that during the last five years. It now dawned on Madhavan that it would be naïve to expect an instantaneous cure.

Swamiji knew that the only way to calm Sethu’s mind was to discuss about Varmakkalai and Varmasoothiram. And that was the reason for his inviting Sethu.

Usually their discussion on moonlit nights would be focussed on the intricate aspects of that ancient science.

But on that day Swamiji was probing deep into the teaching methods and the organised body of knowledge.

Some of the statements made by the Swamiji were quite incisive.

“Many of the Varmakkalai exponents I know including my own master have denounced the allopathic system of medicine. I have heard many Ayurveda and Homoeopathic doctors condemning allopathic system vehemently.

“Allopathy has its weaknesses. But these people have missed something very important.

“Allopathy is an open system. There is an organised body of knowledge. There is a regulated method of imparting that knowledge to the aspiring students.

“Research is a continuous process there happening within a system of rigorous quality controls and a system of checks and balances.

“Name any branch of medicine, Sethu. Cardiac surgery, nephrology, neurology endocrinology, oncology, plastic surgery or diabetalogy or even dental medicine – the kind of knowledge and experience we have today is at least ten times better than we had let’s say, some twenty years back.

“But all our esoteric systems including our Varmakkalai have not grown that much. Today any student who is fit and competent can opt for a course in English Medicine.

“But can any aspirant learn Varmasoothiram just like that? He has to come to a former shrink sitting at the Southern tip of the country having one foot on his grave.

“Naturally I don’t get the best of the students. I got to choose my students from out of the rejects of the educational system.

“You came here because of your peculiar circumstances. Your coming in to this Ashram was not just a defining moment for you, but for me as well.”

Sethu was perplexed. Why should Swamiji talk about all these things, to me, especially at this time?

Swamiji then steered the conversation to something else.

Sethu retired only in the wee hours of morning. He had a perfect, dreamless sleep for two hours, a blessing that had been denied to him for more than five years.​

3. varalotti

Part 3!

A
    s soon as Sharada and Nalini were left alone in their assigned hut, Nalini hugged Sharada and held her in embrace for some time.

“Sharu Kannamma, my heart is going to burst with pride. If I had become a mother in the normal way, I am sure, I could never have begotten a gem like you.

“I have never seen the Master addressing someone with so much respect and so much love. When he asked you to pray for all of us, it looked as if he was talking to his spiritual equal.

“Sharu, I did notice that change in you when we were in Priya’s apartment. Your face started glowing all of a sudden. I think very soon our roles are going to be reversed. You are going to be my mother and I, your spiritual child.

“Sharu, try to teach that love to me. The love you had in your face when you were seeing Priya’s notebooks”

Sharada tightened her grip on Nalini and was shedding tears of love and happiness.

Swamiji’s benevolence was a poweful presence in the vicinity. Nalini and Sharada had a nice, dreamless sleep. They woke up pretty early in the morning thoroughly refreshed.

4. varalotti

Part 4!
    One night in the Ashram had done wonders to Priya. She had a nice sleep and got up in the morning earlier than usual. She was exceedingly calm. When the nurse took her to bath she was very compliant.

She was the first to arrive in the Swamiji’s hut along with Kalpana and the nurse.

Priya was dressed in a starched cotton saree in glowing yellow. None of them had planned for a night stay there. So they had not brought any change of dress.

Swamiji had organised cotton sarees for all the women, including the nurse and a dhoti and a cotton shirt for Sethu. The women chose the sarees based on the colour of the blouses they were wearing.

The yellow saree contrasted Priya’s dusky complexion and accentuated her sharp features which made her look even more beautiful

She sat near Swamiji’s seat and started her daily routine. She was just writing Madhavan’s name again and again. The nurse saw that and exchanged meaningful glances with Kalpana.

Priya’s choice of the mantra was an indication that she was now full of peace and her mind completely at rest, though not under control.

In a few minutes Madhavan walked in and sat very close to Priya. First she showed some signs of fear. Then she ignored him and resumed her work.

‘Madhavan’

‘Madhavan’……

Madhavan was silently observing her.​

5. varalotti

Part 5!

Nalini and Sharada walked in. Nalini was dressed in a pale green saree and Sharada in sparkling white. Her face was even more radiant that what it was, the previous day. The whiteness of the saree magnified the serenity in her face.

All of them except Priya stood up when Swamiji walked in.

Sethu went first and prostrated before the Swamiji. Kalpana followed suit. The nurse tried to make Priya do the same. But Swamiji signalled to her not to disturb Priya.

Nalini was the next to fall at Swamiji’s feet.

Finally it was Sharada’s turn. When Sharada stood up her eyes met those of the Swamiji.

Swamiji placed his hands on Sharada’s head.

“God bless you, my child. You have suffered enough in your life. But the divine grace you experienced yesterday is worth hundred times that suffering. Many people who have been suffering for aeons have been denied that Grace.

“God chose you. Remember my child, many are called but only a few are chosen.
    From now on you will have nothing but happiness. You will never have another chance to know what loneliness is.”

Sharada’s sob was a result of her overflowing ecstasy. Nalini held her in her arms.

As soon as Sharada sat down, Swamiji continued to talk about Grace.

The English word Grace falls short of conveying the full meaning. The exact word for that phenomenon is “anugraha”. No other language in the world has even an approximate equivalent for that word. Anugraha is something that comes from the above.

“God’s Grace is not a result of penance, merit, good deeds, devotion, knowledge, wisdom or whatever you want to think of. You cannot explain His Grace by means of a cause-effect relationship.

Sages who have done penance for years have been denied that grace. A small boy offering a decayed fruit to a stray dog has got it just like that.

You don’t have to work for it or pray for it. You will have to cry for it. You will have to long for it, yearn for it, with the certain knowledge that there is no guarantee of getting it.”

6. varalotti

Part 6!

When Swamiji finished his small speech a few other disciples had gathered there.

Swamiji called a senior disciple and asked him to have a look at Priya. Swamiji told him that she had lost her mind and whether he could think of something by way of curing her.

The disciple bowed to the Swamiji and went near Priya to examine her. He observed her eyes, her hands, her manner of sitting, the condition of her hair, everything. Then he went nearer to read what she was writing. ‘Madhavan’ ‘Madhavan’ ‘Madhavan’

The disciple came back to Swamiji and gave his prognosis.

“Master, if we can somehow bring in her lover, her ‘Madhavan’ then she can be cured.”

Sethu wanted to say something. But Swamiji signalled him to remain silent.

“Well, my son, the person sitting near her, our own Sethu is her Madhavan. In fact he came in here five years ago as Madhavan. It was I who gave the name Sethu to him.”

“Oh!”

There was a a slightly sarcastic smile on the face of the disciple which the Swamiji did not fail to notice..

“I can read your thoughts, my son. Can you please explain them for the benefit of others?”

“Sorry, Master, for saying this. I think she has really gone nuts and is there is no hope for her. When the object of her love is by her side in flesh and blood, why should she be foolishly writing his name? Or be thinking about him?”

Everyone was offended by the rude expression.

“She is no more crazy than you or the millions of people in this world. When you can see the real God in your fellow human beings and can shower your love on them, you choose to love a picture or a stone image of God.

“Is not that idolatory the height of craziness? There are people who do not take care of their own father and mother but go to the temple to pour milk on the form of God sitting there? To the loving God that milk will appear only as water from the sewage.”

The rude disciple was looking at the floor.

Swamiji now spoke to him in a loving voice.

“I called you here not to cure her, my son. I wanted you to be cured.

“I heard that you spent two hours before the idol in your hut yesterday, when your patients were waiting for your attention. Don’t ever do that again. Please go and meditate on these words.”

The disciple left the place.

Then without any forewarning Swamiji walked up to Priya and placed a hand on her head.

“Am I right, Priya?”

Swamiji asked her in a loud voice.

Priya looked up from her work. She looked shocked. She looked at Swamiji for a while. She looked at everybody in the room.

Her eyes rested on Madhavan’s face for a long time. Then she resumed her work. Swamiji went back to his seat at the centre of the hut.

7. varalotti

Part 7!

Now every one in the room was looking expectantly at Swamiji. They wanted the Swamiji to show them the way which he did in very plain words.

Is not the way clear to you all? Sethu has got back his wife. They can start their second innings. Priya has to be treated. Sharada has found a mother in Nalini. And to Nalini she is the daughter she badly wanted to beget. Do you need a Swamiji to tell this?”

They all had expected Swamiji would say something like that. But not in that bland, lifeless manner.

“What are you waiting for? You wanted a cliched, typical, “they lived happily ever after ending” to your life-story. You have got it. Now go your separate ways and please yourselves.”

Nobody moved. The silence there was deafening. Even Priya had stopped her writing and was looking at the Swamiji.

“If we try to solve our problems with our ego, if we refuse to seek help from the above, our solutions will only be like this.

“Many times in our lives we devise a solution for our problems with our little brains and then ask Almighty God to help us in working out the solution.

“We want Him only as a servant with a very low IQ to carry out the decisions made by us.

“With the all-loving, omnipotent God, the only sensible thing to do is surrender at His feet totally and absolutely, praying, ‘Thy will, not mine, be done.’ ”

Swamiji looked at Sharada and smiled. Priya’s glance was fixed on Swamiji’s kind face.

Swamiji continued.

8. varalotti

Part 8!

Madhavan, Priya, Nalini, Sharada, Kalpana..why did your life-paths cross?What made you to meet each other? What’s the thread that connects you all?

None of you are infallible. You had your own share of sins, weaknesses and moral foibles. But in each one of you there is and there has always been a dominating trait of goodness. The aura of goodness that surrounds each one of you is so strong that I can almost touch it.

“It is the curse of this century that good people rarely come together. But if they do then they become a great force to reckon with. When there is the required critical mass of goodness then God throws Himself over to that side.

“Goodness is not about numbers. The Pandavas were 5 against a hundred Kauravas who had an army several times larger than theirs. But the Lord was on their side and the victory was theirs.

“Like the Pancha Pandavas, you are also five standing firmly on the ground of benevolence. And you five have to travel the path ahead together not for your good but for the good of this world. From now on you will be together till time shall be with you no more.”

A disciple walked into the hut to ask something from the Swamiji. But seeing the perfect silence, the expression on Swamiji’s face, he retreated without leaving a trace.

“Sethu, I am sure you remember what we talked yesterday. About having an organised body of knowledge and a professionally run institution for spreading Varmakkalai and Varma Soothiram.

“You have the money. You have the expertise. It’s high time that you start a large institution that will teach Varma Soothiram, the ancient science of Tamil medicine to all the aspiring students.

“Nalini, you came crying to me, that you could not become a mother for a single child. You are destined to become the mother of thousands of children.

“As part of the institution Sethu is going to start, you are going to run an orphanage. From out of the orphans of this country you are going to create thousands of Madhavans.

“You will spread the message of love, you will show the force of love and reclaim a generation that is losing itself to materiality."

9. varalotti

Part 9!

Sharada, my child, what Sethu is going to start is not just an Institute. It is not even an institution. It is a movement. A great movement. And Sharada you are going to be the spiritual force behind the movement.

“Many movements have failed because they did not have a strong spiritual backbone. And you, Sharada, are the spiritual backbone of this group, and of the movement.

“Dancing is the most beautiful expression of love and the shortest route to spiritual glory. You will teach the men and women how to dance for the Alwars Pasurams, for Thiruvasagam, for the songs that make people melt in love for their Creator and for their fellow beings.

“Kalpana, you went astray earlier in your life. But what you did to Priya and Madhavan, what you did to contain evil, has more than compensated for your earlier tresspasses.

“You need not feel guilty anymore. A mamooth movement like this needs someone strong like you, someone who has her head in the right place.”

10. varalotti

Part 10!
    Priya was still looking at the Swamiji. Nobody knew whether she heard or understood what the Swamiji said.

But there was a kind of longing in her eyes, which deeply disturbed Madhavan. Instinctively he placed his hand on her shoulder. This time Priya did not resist.

Madhavan asked almost in a whisper, ” Swamiji, Priya…..”

“The only power that can heal her wounds is love. From now onwards she should not be left alone even for a few hours.”

“I will be with her all the time.” – Madhavan volunteered.

“Your love is great, Sethu. There is no doubt about it. But that love is not enough for Priya.

“Sharada has to be with her all the time. The love that Sharada has in her now, can do miracles. That love alone can burn the insanity in Priya’s mind.”

There was a look of wonder in Nalini’s face. Swamiji understood her question and answered it.

“All the five of you are going to live together in one big house. It will be one large family. And your family will soon expand to include thousands and thousands of people.

“I foresee a great future for this movement. Mark my words, my dear children, you are going to change this world. You are going to show this materialistic world, what real love is.”

Was there a flicker of a smile in Priya’s face? Madhavan was not sure. But he was sure that she was already on the path to recovery.

All the five of them were virtually sobbing in happiness.

Nalini was the first to speak.

“Master, please suggest a good name for our movement.”

Swamiji turned to Sharada.

“Sharada, I know the name has already come into your mind. Please let others know.”

Sharada stood up and walked towards Priya. She sat very close to her and placed her hands on her shoulders.

When Sharada’s hands touched Priya with utmost softness, Priya shivered.

Without taking her hands off Priya, Sharada addressed the Swamiji.

“Swamiji, it is this lady who taught me the real magic of love. And there is enough of love in her name itself.

“Since this movement is going to spread the message of love, through Varmakkalai, through its care for orphans and dancing, I suggest that we name it PRIYAM.”

“Marvellous, my child. Simple, elegant and befitting.”

Everyone started to talk at the same time. All were happy and wanted to express their happiness one way or the other.

When Sharada looked lovingly at Priya and smiled, Priya smiled back at her. It was the slightest smile possible. But to Madhavan it appeared as the greatest improvement in Priya’s condition.

Swamiji was watching the drama unfolding before his eyes with happiness.

After sometime Swamiji and others walked out of the hut. The rays of the morning sun fell on them all. There was a sudden spurt of showers.

And a sprawling multicoloured rainbow appeared on the horizon contrasted by the grey clouds. The rainbow heralded the success of love, of their movement, PRIYAM.​

MSNR likes this.