1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti in the US -1

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Aug 31, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Most Gracious ILites,
    I am not that big to write a travellogue or even an autobiography. And I know that for sure. So please don't be afraid that I am going to write about how I got into the plane, how I landed, how I ate and how I drove to the destination....
    But God at times wills that I should witness some interesting incidents and I owe a duty to Him that I should share those incidents with worthy people like you. Hence this new series.
    I was booked on the British Airways flight from Mumbai to Seattle. So I had to fly Indian Airlines from Chennai to Mumbai.
    I was fully loaded for the US trip with two large bags (not exceeding 23kgs each- BAs specs) and a handbag strictly conforming to the prescribed dimensions. I went with a tape to the shop to buy the hand bag.
    I had not reckoned the Chennai-Mumbai local flight where the weight allowance is far lower.
    When I checked in and my bags were weighed the counter-man told me that I may have to shell out for the extra weight. For a second I thought he was referring to my weight (which is perenially over the allowed limit). Then only I remembered the bags. Of course my US office had told me that whatever extra-baggage charges were paid by me, they would be happy to reimburse.
    I thought however that was a technical flaw and that I can plead my case.

So I started an argument with the Indian airlines staff. I showed my Seattle ticket and told him being on the intercontinental flight I should be given concession. He told me, "Sir, had you chosen to fly Indian Airlines to the US, I can consider that. But you are flying with our competitor."
    I gave up. I told him whatever he wanted to pay I am ready to give. He asked me to wait for a second and went in.
    Came back after a few minutes to say, "Sir, we are upgrading your ticket to First Class." (I was reserved on the lowest class of tickets (Economy) throughout my journey)
    Which meant I need not have to pay. Why this sudden munificence? Because the flight was overbooked. And there were vacancies in the First Class. Hence this concession.
    Not only no extra payment was necessary, but I travelled in great comfort upto Mumbai with better food and wider leg room.
    God solves our problems in ways that we cannot even begin to imagine. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]<!--[endif]-->Glory be to God always.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT] But this alone is not God’s love. Only a few days back I found out that God was especially cruel to me in one regard. That was something too much for my not so strong, but rather too sensitive heart. At that time I felt left out, betrayed, crushed and punished. I was not even given a chance to cry.

But I still think that both are instances of God’s love. In one case Her love was well within the limits of my understanding, so I rejoiced in it. In another case it was not. So I felt that She was punishing me, whereas in fact, She can only love me more and more.

Love,

2. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Hello Sridhar - interesting start to your trip. As I started reading, I thought to myself, oh! no! not another horror story about flying in IA. I am surprised that they were going to charge you for excess baggage - whenever I have travelled, as long as I had booked my ticket for the entire trip as one travel, they did not differentiate it. Interesting, though.. hope you had a safe trip to your final destination.

Shobana

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

Just like you to think of us IL'ites even amidst all the hectic travel and settling in to a new country . Jet lagged or not, matters not !!
    Please do not underestimate yourself. Who is to decide who is big or not ? Besides, I am sure we will all be interested to know how your travel experience was. Are we not all friends ? So that should suffice.
    In one case Her love was well within the limits of my understanding, so I rejoiced in it. In another case it was not. So I felt that She was punishing me, whereas in fact, She can only love me more and more.....How true ! I liked those words.
    Have a lovely time here in US and do bring us your impressions and experiences.

L, Kamla

4. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Hello Sridhar!
    Its glad to know that you landed in the US safely!
    that was a pleasant experience, your ticket being upgraded to 1st class without your asking and that too without having to pay for it! When we can accept such benelovent gestures from God we should also learn to accept the problems we face in life with the same openness and thankfulness- thankful that it was not worse! Nice reading your experience with your usual humour punch! Hope you have a nice time at US..
    Regards,
    Malathi

5. varalotti

Hello Shobana,
    Well there is no hard and fast rule with the Airlines, Indian or British. That's why we need God's help even more at every point. My entire travel from Chennai to Seattle was quite interesting. I will post the next part quite soon.
    Yes, I had a safe, interesting trip and landed in Seattle, US on Monday evening local time.
    regards,

6. varalotti

Dear Kamla,

By God's Grace my training is designed in such a way to give me some free time in between hard training sessions. I use that time to make these posts.

I know Kamla, that you and all the iLites relish reading about my travel experience not because they make an interesting reading, but whatever is narrated by a loved one is always interesting to read.

Thanks for the nice words again. I am not going to wait till my return to bring out my "travellogue". It will be served "hot" while it is still on.

More to come soon.
    Love,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Hello Malathy,
    Life is all made of pleasant experiences. Some of them appear unpleasant because we do not understand their significance. As God cannot be anything else other than Love, I dont think there is any room for a bad experience in life.
    Thanks for the nice wishes, Malathi. Be prepared to read more on the trip soon.
    regards,

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Sridhar it was interesting to read your first part of the write up. I flew British airways too. Direct from Chennai, and yes they are a stickler for the one hand bag rule. Also for the 23 kg weight limit. I got a tag on one of my bags which weighed in at 24 kgs, that they will let it go this time, but starting October 2007, they will not allow bags which are even a few ounces over 23 kgs !!

Anyway, i was so surprised. The security lines at Heathrow on the day I flew was quite short and so thankfull for that. Of course since my plane from chennai was delayed, pillayar is richer by 108 coconuts and anjaneyar by one vadaimalai and the list goes on.......:oops:

Vandhana

9. varalotti

Hi Vandhana,

That was quite interesting to read. I loved your way of narration "Piilayar richer by 108 coconuts..."

ILites in Bay Area, I am visiting San Jose during 14th to 16th of September. If any of you is interested, I would love to meet.
    Please get in touch with Vandhana.
    regards,

10. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,

Welcome to US! interesting to read your first part and eagerly waiting for the rest.

i think the IL's in BayArea are lucky to meet you.
    any plans of coming to eastcoast??? if so, do let us know .
    would love to meet you.