1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'Koora Pudavaya?' - K. Galatta 4

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear All,
    Thanks for all your encouragements for 'Kalyanaththil Galatta' serials.
    Pehaps, "Koora podavai" episode could be the last story by me for 2009.
    I would be busy with an upcoming professional project from tomorrow onwards and would be missing interacting with you all for the next few weeks.
    However, I would try to continue posting in my thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/about-saints-and-spirituality/77239-kabir-the-mystic.html
    Propose to be back in early 2010.
    Till then,
    Rrg
    -------------------

'Koora Pudavaya?'
    Episode No:4 - "Koorai Pudavaya?" Kalyanaththil Galatta

Year : 1997.
    Place : Chennai.
    My sister's daughter's marriage took place in a hotel in Egmore.
    Both my sister's and the groom's family were settled outside Chennai.
    Even though I was in Delhi then, my sister made it clear that she would be banking heavily on me for the conduct of the marriage, considering my connections in Chennai.

It was a very early Muhurtham.
    On muhurtham day there was a heavy down pour inconveniencing the guests.
    But, since both the bride's and groom's party, alongwith very close relatives were staying in the hotel itself, the function was proceeding well on time.
    Even 'Kasi Yathra' was performed indoors.
    When the time came for handing over 'Koora Pudavai' to the bride, sastrigal announced to bring the saree to the dais.

'Koora pudavai' (KP) is the 9 yard silk saree, worn in 'madisaar' style by the bride at the time of "mangalyadharanam / kanniyadhanam".
    It has a special significance in the girl's life and is given importance next only to Thirumangalyam (Thali). I have seen all my elder female relatives safe guarding their 'KP' through out their lives. It would be worn on very special occasions only.
    Even after it becoming very old, it would not be discarded like other sarees. I have seen it being put to alternate use.
    It is inside the folds of this saree my mother used to keep money saved over a period that could come in handy on special occasions.
    'KP' in those days used to be Maroon, Brick red & the like in colour with heavy zaris.
    Nowadays, it comes in all colours, just like any other saree, eventhough, traditionalists prefer shades of Red only.

When the Sastrigal asked for KP, my sister looked at the groom's mother, who was also on the dias, and requested her to hand it over to the pundit.
    "Koora Pudavaiya? Vaangavey illaya??" ( KP? Haven't you bought it?) was her response.
    My sister was shocked out of her wits.
    It transpired that while the arrangements for marriage were being discussed between the parties there was a difference of opinion on the shade of red as also the extent & pattern of zari. So, my sister perhaps asked the groom's mother herself to get it. At least that was what she thought she communicated.
    But, the groom's mother was of the understanding that she had left it to my sister to get whatever shade she wanted to get.
    Being a touchy topic, neither cross-checked with the other on this issue. This was the root cause of the confusion.

My sister rushed to me crying and asked me to do something.
    It was very early in the morning, about 6.30 AM or so and no saree shop would be open. Also, even if I could enthuse any shop owner to help us out, in the heavy rain there was no possibility of rushing to T.Nagar and return with the saree on time, even if my sister took me for a Hanuman.
    Still, in order to stop her crying I assured to do something, without having any idea as to what could be done under such circumstances. I further asked her not to give any publicity and keep quiet as if all were normal.
    I then told the pundit to go a bit slow atleast for another 15/20 min. Thereafter, I rushed to my eldest sister for suggesting some way out of the situation.
    She was having breakfast along with the bride's atthhai. (BA)

On hearing the developments, BA got up abruptly from her break-fast and suggested my elder sister also to go with her.
    I was asked to meet them in the room after 5 minutes. When I went to her room, she handed me a Nalli Box, with a new maroon KP.
    That solved our problem and the 'mangalyadharanam' went off well as scheduled.
    It was then that I noticed that she was was in blue madisaar during Mangalyadharanam, as against the Maroon madisaar when she was having breakfast.
    I could realise that she had removed the 9 yard new Maroon Silk saree that she was wearing, folded it well with the help of my sister, put it in the Nalli Box & handed it over to me. Most practical solution, under the circumsatances.
    I congratulated BA for her quick thinking.
    A potential Sambandhi Sandai was averted and marriage performed without any hick-up, mainly due to BA's presence of mind.
    But, we could never announce it openly, for obvious reasons and the story still remains within our close relatives only.

Anbudan,
    Rrg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Rrg,
    See what sandai will lead to, utter confusion and like you had said a major showdown was averted because of timely thinking! Relief in the form of BA's thinking!! Avaroda KP saved the day!

3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

rrg,

yet another interesting episode.

btw did you right the script for the METTI OLI serial in SUN TV.:)

amazing stories. we will wait for in early 2010.

lucky you - you were already married or else you would have been offered the groom's position as your brother was offerred in the Mappillai Murukku episode.:biglaugh

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rrg,

Periya galatta (sandai) agumnu patha neer appadiye enga asai mel mazhai pozdhivittir...

enjoyed...missed the previous episodes..will read the same immediately.

5. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Janani, Natpudan & lalitha,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Lalitha: We were also scared that it would escalate into a big issue.
    With so much rain outside what else did you expect. BA managed to drench your asai with some rain, courtesy her quick thinking. :)
    Natpudan: If only I was eligible, my sis would not have gone for outside match itself in the first place, isn't it.:)
    Cheers!
    Rrg

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

very interesting Rrg sir..... all the time i was reading, i was wondering ,why? is it not ok to wear someone elses KP..kudos to the BA...i would have done the same thing ,chup chaap...:)

and while on the subject of KP'S.....I got my grandmothers KP which she had wanted me to wear as a saree even when both she and thatha were alive...but i did not have the heart to tear it...after her demise only last year i wore the lovely violet KP with authentic silver zaree and this saree of nearly 70 years old fetched me such a lot of compliments:)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Mindi,
    Thanks for your comments & sharing your experience as well.
    I know all intelligent women think alike.:)
    Incidentally, it was a new silk saree that she had bought for this marriage and it happened to be red & luckily she belonged to older generation who wear madisaar even on normal days.:)
    Cheers!
    Rrg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Glad that BA's timely thinking helped to avoid a major problem on Wedding day.during my wedding since there was a similar incident but it was the opp of what happened here. We didnt know whether my DH's family will take reception sarees and they didnt know whether we will.Since it is a bit embarrassing to ask each other both the parties bought sarees for the receptions and I ended up having four sarees:thumbsup which is good for me:biglaugh

9. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

BA's timely thinking helped a lot on Wedding day.RRg sir.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear RRG,

that was really nice of yr elder sister to remove her own saree and wear something else, to save the marriage mahurat.Really great of her.

regards

kamal