Salaries for Assistant Professors in Riyadh

Discussion in 'Indians in Riyadh Province' started by suraiyya, Jan 22, 2009.

1. suraiyya

suraiyya New IL'ite

Hello All,

Greetings !!

My name is Suraiyya and I am currently living with my husband in Australia. We are a Hindu couple looking to move to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Recently, my husband has received a job offer as an Assistant Professor with a university in Riyadh. He has been asked to give details about his salary expectations. Does anyone know what the salaries usually are for Assistant Professors/Lecturers/Academics (expatriates) at universities in Riyadh ? I am told that Western professors get a huge pay packet. Please advise if anyone knows of any academics at universities in Riyadh and the typical salaries (even a rough guide will help).

I have looked at quite a few informative postings (especially by Krishnamma) and looks like if the accomodation and travel costs are covered by the employer, all other living costs (including food and bills etc) should not be more than SAR 1500 for a couple per month. Is my assumption correct ? If not, please advise what will it generally be for a couple considering reasonable spending (not lavish and expensive life style).

Also, how much does a meal generally cost in an Indian Restaurant in Riyadh ? I know there will be both... expensive and budget restaurants, but just a rough guide would help.

Also, if we purchase our car in Riyadh should an allowance of SAR 600 per month be enough ?

Finally, are there any Indian compounds or Expat compounds ? What would be the cheapest 1 BHK or 2 BHK apartment/villa in an expat compound and in which area ?

Thank you to all for your time in reading this and any help/advice/suggestions will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Surraiyya

2. pranavpp

pranavpp New IL'ite

hi surraiya i aljso got job in riyadh in king saud university..
    stay in touch..
    and when are u planning to move?
    i m moving in april..
    bio take care..

3. suraiyya

suraiyya New IL'ite

Hello PranavPP

CONGRATULATIONS !!

What is your background and when will u be starting your teaching activities ? Will u be moving with family or alone initially ?

We are looking at moving in June 09.

Please feel free to share/exchange information.

Best regards,
    Suraiyya

4. pranavpp

pranavpp New IL'ite

well, i m here now..
    i allready started job,

i haven't decided yet whether to call family or not..

i will be taking decision soon.

5. pranavpp

pranavpp New IL'ite

i m in computer science department here in king saud university and working as a lacturer..
    byee
    take care.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. shahksu

shahksu New IL'ite

Hallo Surraiya,

I have also been offered with an Assistant Professor of research position at the speciality units for safety and preservation of structures (a newly established unit at college of engineering) King saud university riyadh.
    I think you have mentioned in your post that you are moving in June 2009. It is expected that me too will be moving there in June 2009. Until April I was in Tokyo Japan conducting research at Tokyo Institute of Technology and now I am in Peshawar Pakistan. I am in the process of preparing documents required by the Saudi Consulate for issuing the visa. It's a very hectic process and I have never passed through this process. I am afarid if this is the beginning how difficult the life will be in Riyadh with arbi people.

I also dont how expansive the life is in riyadh. Whether our salary and the salary of a westerner (whites) will be the same or different? I have heard that they treat americans, britishers etc different than the people from sub-continent. Let's see what will be happened next.

You can look for an apartment simply by switch on to google and type apartments for rent in riyadh in the search box. You will find many cheap offers (furnished and unfurnished).

Please keep in touch and update me, if any. I will do the same.

Take care and good luck in commencing your job at KSU.

Regards

Dr. A. A. Shah

7. gemdex

gemdex New IL'ite

Hello all,

I am a new member of this website. The website seems to be very informative and helpful.

The following question may have been asked several times however, since the expenses seem to increase every year. I would like to ask the question again.

I have been offered an Assistant Professor job in KSU (engineering department) Riyadh. I have no clue about life and expenses in Riyadh. I have a Ph.D. and M.S. from US.

Following are my questions,

1. What would be an good salary for an Assistant Professor in KSU (as I need to negotiate the salary with KSU)?
    2. Is it easy to find a good house/apartment in a good community in Riyadh near KSU?
    3. What would be the price of an 2-bedroom house/apartment?
    4. What is range of monthly expenses (groceries: milk, vegetables, meat etc.. for a family of two?
    5. How is the overall life style in Riyadh?
    6. Can foreigners purchase a car? How much would it cost to purchase a decent car (used or new)?
    I would greatly appreciate if any members of the forum can provide their suggestions.

Regards,
    SN.

8. apatksu

apatksu New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am a lecturer in a govt. engineering college from INDIA. I too got an Asst. Prof. position in KSU Riyadh. I am waiting for my VISA. From this website I understand that few have already taken up their posts at KSU. Those who have joined, can you please tell me the kind of atmosphere there. Is it conducive for research? As I am still considering whether it is worth resigning my government job here and join KSU.

The contract is for one year. What is the chance of extension of this contact?

How soon can I expect my visa.

I would be thankful to you for your suggestions and comments.

Bye.

Regards,
    MA

9. akondkar

akondkar New IL'ite

Dear Dr. Shah, My name is altaf kondkar, a PhD, working in US and 've been offered a similar post at the KSU in coll of med. i 've accepted it but awaiting my visa papers for a long time now. Are u already at KSU now? How do you find it? I am still to go thru the paper work in India yet. Any suggestion u have to offer or anyone at this site has to offer, plz do?? Thanks!
    altaf

10. Huma Tanvir

Huma Tanvir New IL'ite

Hi everybody,

welcome to saudi arabia, I am staying in this country for past few years though i dont have the exact idea of the salaries at KSU, but hopefully it wll be quite handsome, i heard research work also goes well there.

As per the life and expenditure in Riyadh its not much, if u are earning 15 to 20 th. SAR then what is there to spend around 5 th. on urself...

Car expenses are v. cheap here, even people earning 4000 sr. also have cars here as the petrol price is 1 SR. here....so be happy:rotfl

The apartments are also reasonable 1 or 2 BHK will cost u around 15 th.sr yearly....

anything more u people want to know u are welcome..

Bye...Huma