stress and over-eating

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by saathi, May 1, 2010.

1. saathi

saathi New IL'ite

I want to know if anyone here have this problem.

For the past few months, I have been really stressed. My DH and I have returned to India, trying to settle down, working, managing family life etc have taken a toll on me. I have put on a lot of weight because of this.

I know that these days will pass and things will be normal again and that, I just have to be patient. But, I am not this sensible every hour of the day! And eat whatever I feel like to make me feel good. The humorous thing is that, I feel so guilty afterwards...

My doctor and DH has suggested diverting my mind but if you have experienced this emotion, it is very difficult because your mood is at all time low. Has anyone come out of this problem successfully?

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Saathi,

The best solution is to keep the tempting goodies out of the house! When a yummy bag of snacks is within arms reach, it's easier to cave in and over eat.

Instead, keep some healthy snacks laying around the house. Like almonds or fruit. That way when you feel like munching, instead of a bag of chips, you're eating something that fulfills your craving for food AND is nutritious.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  3. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Saathi,

first why are you stressed??? instead of getting stressed look for solutions to your problems, moving back home des take time for your to settle take the day as itcomes and the best thing to do is join the gym, make new friends, start eating healthy, prioritize your things, organize yourself.
    Start taking control of yourself and you are back home so why stressed, where were you staying before IN USA well then you were doings yourself there, its the same here back in India for you so why be stressed, stress is not going to help you but it will help you to fall sick and put on weight and reducing that weight is really going to be difficult so start taking control of the situation.

hope i have helped you
    love
    alpa:cheers

4. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Saathi,

It happens to all of us. So don't stop your eating just eat smart.

Here are few suggestions.

1. Keep tamrind and green chutney and puffed rice ready. When the urge to eat comes, make a nice bhel for yourself without the namkeen. Add in chillies.

2. Try grabbing fruits instead of ready made goodies. Don't get them in house. If you want to indulge yourself, make a low cal version at home.

3. Don't feel guilty. Take this as a time to eat some real good and healthy food. The more you resist hunger the more it will persist.

If you let me know the kind of urges you have for food then I might suggest few other things.

Just tell yourself this, if you want to eat yummy food then you will be the one cooking it. Indulge yourself, you can cook mouth watering food with less oil. This is the time to feed yourself, so go ahead feed yourself some healthy stuff.

Hope this helps.

regards

5. saathi

saathi New IL'ite

Thank you all for the suggestions.
    Alpa - the reason I feel stressed is because there is so much to do and there aen't enough hours in a day! You must be thinking that I've lost my mind. I just feel overwhelmed with the new lifestyle and even though I was born, brought up in India, these last 5 yrs have changed a lot of things...

As all of you said though, I need to calm myself down and get rid off samosas and kachoris :)