R2i suggestions for taking stuff to India?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Nithya001, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Ladies, we will R2i to Bangalore by end of this year. I need some suggestions as I am clueless.

We have been married for only 3 years so don't have much stuff. Definitely not carrying any big stuff. But we have a nice $500 LCD Sharp tv. Should we think of shipping it? How much does it cost in India?

Also apart from our personal stuff I want to take a lot of small things like 100 count bedsheets, a few good comforters, some nice kitchen vessels. digital electronics, knives, and a lot of nice dry food item as gifts, also some good dresses. All this along with the personal stuff we have would definitely not fit in 4 suitcases. But it would also not require shipping by container etc.

What would be the best way to carry stuff for us? Should we instead buy another suitcase(we have 4) and pay the airlines for extra suitcase, or try some shipping company.

I have no clue about shipping etc. so please explain. I have posted on R2i forums too but they just direct me to existing threads and I got all confused.

Thanks for any help!

2. kavithabalaji

kavithabalaji New IL'ite

Hi

I saw ur post reg shipment of LCD from US to India, I dont know abt ur size of the tv, But would like to give small info abt LCD.

In india we bought samsung 32'' LCD @ 33000. but what i heard from other people is lcd's when we ship to india seems to have a problem in working (tech side) But i am not sure abt the info.. Pls do some groundwork before taking to india.

thanks...

3. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Kavitha for the response, sounds like we don't need to ship it, since mine is 32 inch too and we got it for about 500$.

Ladies can you provide any information about my other query, how to take extra stuff to India, ship or through extra suitcase on airline. Thanks

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nithya,
    This is my fourth attempt at posting this response. Hope it goes through!:drowning:drowning
    Shippers do let you ship boxes in containers. Instead of booking an entire container, you can get parts of it. They will tell you how many large sized boxes the portion you booked will accommodate. A friend of mine did ship a small amount of stuff and she did use this option.
    Btw, with respect to the TV, I was dissuaded from shipping one. I ended up buying one here. You will not find anyone to service your TV and power surges in India can generally not be handled well by electronics bought from the US. Whatever little appliances came in my shipment are a major hassle to use because I need to find a proper step down adapter for each one and they anyway get useless pretty quickly because of all the power surges.

HTH,
    L

5. tinax2

tinax2 New IL'ite

We recently r2i'd and had the same questions that you have.
    1. We did not bring back any big electronics items with us. TV/washing machine/microwave etc. TV could have tech issues.

I got my work desktop with me and it got fried the moment i plugged it in without even switching it on. its still lying under my desk as foot support.

2. Regarding shipping, as someone suggested, you can hire part of the container for shipping. you can find reasonable quotes on websites. 8 medium size boxes would cost about $350 - $500. We didnt use this option but i did research at the time of moving.

3. I think, getting an extra suitcase is the best option. To get the best out of the luggage allowance, instead of bringing suitcases, use heavy duty shipping boxes that fit the airlines luggage dimensions.

4. One item that i miss a lot in india are good quality kitchen towels(Bounty). If you are bringing any delicate items and would wrap them with some paper - use the kitchen towels. when you open those items in india, save the kitchen towels and enjoy cleaning your kitchen!

hope this helps.

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I love India! :)

7. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Tina, Thanks for the information.
    Could you let us know in detail about the shipping (your point 3) thru air and via ship.