info abt rentry permit back to usa

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by gankita, May 30, 2015.

1. gankita

gankita Silver IL'ite

WE are planning to return to India for whole lot of problems here.
    We have GC and want to try our luck in India. If we stay in India for year or two and in case we need to come back, we wanted to know the basis of re-entry permit in U.S.A.
    Please reply

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

What ever reason you tell, but you need to make them believe that still US is and will be your residence. Instead of all family members going to India, may be first one person goes and kids and your partner stays in US itself till you make decision whether India or US works good for u.

May be u can tell ur parents need ur support for some time so you r going to India. Or your bro/parents need some business help for sometime etc. I can't think what else reasons can be given. As u know if u tell u want to work in India they may not be happy. I suggest to take advice of an immigration lawyer.

You need to apply for I - 131, when u are in US itself, it takes around 3 months, you will be called to give bio-metrics(finger prints), in your city's USCIS office. You should be in US till u get re-entry permit. You will be mentioning the reason in your application, so based on that they will take decision to give or not.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Look up the USCIS website. They have clear instructions on what you need to do to maintain your green card status, and how to get the reentry permit. It is also a good idea to consult an immigration lawyer.