Pyrex glass availability in India

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by hridhaya, Mar 4, 2011.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hello friends,

I am returning to India very soon and in the process of making the shopping list.

I am inclined to using pyrex glassware in the kitchen as they are quite sturdy. Do I need to ship them from USA or is it available in bigger cities of India? I would like to do a bulk purchase of their products. So I am little concerned about the damage during shipping from US to India.Also they are cheaper in US compared to India.

1.Does anyone has experience in shipping them?
    2.Are there similar alternatives in India? which brands do you use?

Looking for your opinion.

Thanks

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Why not use stainless steel that is available aplenty in India and is a lot sturdier than glass any day? I am making a list of stainless steel things to buy in India to bring back with me!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hridaya,

I have been bringing glassware from abroad, but during my visits and not by shipping.

Recently i see the borosil, treo brands equally good. in chennai you get most of the brands that are available abroad.

in fact i have seen some good glassware/bakeware in landmark, westside, homecentre and @home apart from the currimbouy and Poppat jamal.

Borosil – Consumer
    Glassware | Dinnerware | Opal Ware | Glass | Gift | Tumbler | Ceramic Ware | Decorative | Microwave Proof | Jar | Gift Set | Bowls | Pudding Set | Lemon Set | Snack Set | Dinner Set | Tea Set

I find the cost in par with what we get abroad.

all the best for your r2i.

sindmani likes this.
  4. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Thanks for your reply.Will check them out.

Hi Confused211,

Good question! I wont be using them for day to day cooking mostly but for serving when there are guests.Also thought I could use them for gifting purposes.

Today I am using lot of plastic tupperwares for daily storage of cooked food and microwaving.

I want to switch as
    1. Tupperwares worn out early if used extensively
    2. Storing hot food/microwaving in plastic is not beneficial to health

But I have been using them since they are transparent and easy to locate the right food from the fridge. May be there must be some steel containers with some partial glass lid that helps in knowing what is inside. Will have to find out. How do you keep track of stored food?

Thanks for your reply.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I love Pyrex for storing, baking and microwaving. They can be used so many ways! Also, if you get Corning ware, you can also use these ways AND stovetop. I have a family of one so my needs are less than yours but I have found that you don't need too many pieces. Pinpoint your needs and then buy accordingly. ONe thing though, go to a Corning outlet and get extra lids. The plastic ones melt so quickly if you leave them too close to stovetop (voice of experience). If you are going for glass lid varieties, get extra lids there also. I also have Visions pans (purchased used as the new ones are so expensive) and I swear by the spouted saucepan for chai making.

6. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestion. Knowing what is needed before buying sure helps.

7. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Hridhaya, I currently have only anchor glass storage containers. I don't use plastic, but for my daughter, I'd like to get stainless steel containers. I don't usually store too many cooked food items in the frig, anyway, so remembering what's what shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I mainly want stainless steel containers to keep cooked portions of food for DD. It is hard to cook for just one meal for her, not because of effort, but because of the quantities involved. She sometimes eats more, sometimes less. And sometimes, table food. I can take one portion out and warm it up in hot water.

8. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

thanks for your reply.

9. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Hi hridhaya thaks for starting the thread..even i'm looking for pyrex availablity in india..is corningware,anchor,pyrex available in india..
    Shnvy thanks for the link..

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome. the recent inclusions from both are good. and relieves you of the tension of that is with you until your boxes come home..even rubbermaid has a manufacturing setup in ankleshwar and chennai.

This is what i follow. i go on frequently changing the containers that i use for mw. if it is a gravy with oil floating then definitely not to be heated in a plastic.this calls for glassware.
    i also get food grade microwavable plastic boxes and use them for a maximum of 2/3 years after that i condemn them.

even in steel, you now get beautiful serving dishware with awesome matt finish. Bar Tool Set, Double Walled Bowl, Fork And Spoon Cutlery Set, Metal Colander

cindrella, pyrex is available in some highend malls. today you get almost everything that is available abroad in india.