Photos of deities

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by vivbass, Feb 9, 2007.

1. gowthamanappu

gowthamanappu Bronze IL'ite

Kosambari (Salad)

Perhaps the most popular SALAD from Karnataka, the Kosumbari is easy to prepare, is very high in protein and is a tasty snack in its own right. Called KOSUMBIR in Maharashtra it is synonymous with festivity, and is offered as Prasada in most temples. It is really very popular as a starter in most festival foods (marriages, major festival lunch etc.)

Ingredients

Hesaru beLe' (moong dal, green gram split)
    Kadale' beLe (chana dal, bengal gram)
    4-5 green chilies
    Kothumbari soppu (coriander leaves, dhaniya leaves)
    freshly grated coconut
    Fresh cucumber and carrot (optional)
    Lime
    Mustard for seasoning.

Method

Soak 50 gms each of Hesaru beLe' and Kadale' beLe' (lentils) separately for one hour.
    Grate the coconut to provide one handful of grated material.
    Drain the water from lentils.
    Peel one cucumber and cut it into small pieces of the size of a pea (optional)
    Chop two green chili.
    Keep one spoon of oil in a pan (wok, kadai) warm it and put mustard.
    Wait till they split, then put the chopped green chilies, turn around and put a pinch of hing (kayam, asafetida).
    Put the entire thing onto the lentil mix.
    Add salt to taste and then squeeze the juice of half a lime (green variety).
    Turn around and then put the grated coconut.
    Adding cucumber or the carrot is purely optional and is not in any way necessary.
    It does alter the taste slightly. Cucumber makes the kosumbari a little watery and therefore it must be consumed rather quickly (half to one hour). Salt tends to bring out a lot of water from cucumber. Adding either of these two is popular when it is consumed as a snack or prasada. It is not common when served as a starter during festivals along with lunch.
    Traditionally both the hesaru beLe' and kadale' beLe' kosumbari are prepared together.
    Sometimes the Kadale' beLe' kosumbari alone is prepared.
    ENJOY THIS TRADITIONAL SALAD FROM KARNATAKA. EASY TO PREPARE,
    VERY LOW FAT AND VERY HIGH IN PROTEIN. CHILDREN LOVE IT, THE NOT-SO-YOUNG RELISH IT.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. gowthamanappu

Why no Garlic and Onion?? ~~

Scriptural Reference:

Lasunam gṛnjanam tvaiva palāṇdum kavakāni ca abhakśyāṇi dvijātinām medhya prabhavāni ca - (Manu-Samhita Chapter 5, Verse 5) Translation : Garlic, leeks and onions, mushrooms and all those plants that spring from impure substances, are unfit to be eaten by twice-born men.

Scientific reference:

One of the most common questions asked to me is this: "Why don't you eat garlic and onions?" Here's my short answer: As a devotee of Krishna and a practicing Bhakti-yoga, I don't eat garlic and onions because they cannot be offered to Krishna. Here's my longer answer: You may know that onions and garlic are botanical members of the alliaceous family (alliums) - along with leeks, chives and shallots. According to Ayurveda, India's classic medical science, foods are grouped into three categories sattvic, rajasic and tamasic - foods in the modes of goodness, passion and ignorance. Onions and garlic, and the other alliaceous plants are classified as rajasic and tamasic, which means that they increase passion and ignorance.

Those that subscribe to pure brahmana-style cooking of India, including myself, and Vaishnavas - followers of Lord Vishnu, Rama and Krishna - like to only cook with foods from the sattvic category. These foods include fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, dairy products, grains and legumes, and so on. Specifically, Vaisnavas do not like to cook with rajasic or tamasic foods because they are unfit to offer to the Deity. Rajasic and tamasic foods are also not used because they are detrimental to meditation and devotions. "Garlic and onions are both rajasic and tamasic, and are forbidden to yogis because they root the consciousness more firmly in the body", says well-known authority on Ayurveda, Dr.Robert E.Svoboda.

Some branches of western medicine say that the Alliums have specific health benefits; garlic is respected, at least in allopathic medical circles, as a natural antibiotic. In recent years, while the apparent cardiovascular implications of vegetable Alliums has been studied in some detail, the clinical implications of onion and garlic consumption from this point of view are still not well understood.

Nevertheless, there are still many adverse things to say about garlic and onions. Not so well known is the fact that garlic in the raw state can carry harmful (potentially fatal) botulism bacteria. Perhaps it is with an awareness of this that the Roman poet Horace wrote of garlic that it is “more harmful than hemlock". It should be pointed out that Garlic and onion are avoided by spiritual adherents because they stimulate the central nervous system, and can disturb vows of celibacy. Garlic is a natural aphrodisiac. Ayurveda suggests that it is a tonic for loss of sexual power from any cause, sexual debility, impotency from over-indulgence in sex and nervous exhaustion from dissipating sexual habits.

It is said to be especially useful to old men of high nervous tension and diminishing sexual power. The Taoists realized thousands of years ago that plants of the alliaceous family were detrimental to humans in their healthy state. In his writings, one sage Tsang-Tsze described the Alliums as the "five fragrant or spicy scented vegetables" - that each have a detrimental effect on one of the following five organs - liver, spleen, lungs, kidneys, and heart. Specifically, onions are harmful to the lungs, garlic to the heart, leeks to the spleen, chives to the liver and spring onions to the kidneys. Tsang-Tsze said that these pungent vegetables contain five different kinds of enzymes which cause "reactions of repulsive breath, extra-foul odour from perspiration and bowel movements, and lead to lewd indulgences, enhance agitations, anxieties and aggressiveness," especially when eaten raw.

Similar things are described in Ayurveda. 'As well as producing offensive breath and body odour, these (alliaceous) plants induce aggravation, agitation, anxiety and aggression. Thus they are harmful physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually'. Back in the 1980's, in his research on human brain function, Dr Robert [Bob] C. Beck, DSc. found that garlic has a detrimental effect on the brain. He found that in fact garlic is toxic to humans because its sulphone hydroxyl ions penetrate the blood-brain barrier and are poisonous to brain cells. Dr Beck explained that as far back as the 1950s it was known that garlic reduced reaction time by two to three times when consumed by pilots taking flight tests. This is because the toxic effects of garlic desynchronize brain waves. "The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of us: "Don't you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one of our airplanes, because it'll double or triple your reaction time. You're three times slower than you would be if you'd [not] had a few drops of garlic." For precisely the same reason the garlic family of plants has been widely recognized as being harmful to dogs. Even when garlic is used as food in Chinese culture it is considered harmful to the stomach, liver and eyes, and a cause of dizziness and scattered energy when consumed in immoderate amounts. Nor is garlic always seen as having entirely beneficial properties in Western cooking and medicine.

It is widely accepted among health care professionals that, as well as killing harmful bacteria, garlic also destroys beneficial bacteria, which are essential to the proper functioning of the digestive system. Reiki practitioners explain that garlic and onions are among the first substances to be expelled from a person’s system – along with tobacco, alcohol and pharmaceutical medications.

This makes it apparent that alliaceous plants have a negative effect on the human body and should be avoided for health reasons. Homeopathic medicine comes to the same conclusion when it recognizes that red onion produces a dry cough, watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose and other familiar cold-related symptoms when consumed. These are just some of the reasons I avoid leeks, chives, shallots, garlic and onions.

hope ur question is clear with this answer?

best wishes/some we can understand/certtain things we have to leave it to HIM?

cook any bele what u want? read or listen? what u feel is right? do not bother? devotion is more important? u r ur own boss? important thing is devotion without expectation?

hope u know what I am trying to convey?

chitra.g

I know kannada/ devotion is more important than haseru bele? or kosambari?

the write up should clear ur doubt? reply and keep in touch?

download rama nama form and write sri rama jayam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Hello chitraji....thanks so much for the clear explanation on avoiding Garlic, onions, mushrooms, chives, shallots & leeks.

I understand for any puja or festival devotion is more imp. than other things...do follow the same. But want to know the things clearly whatever we follow. Thanks for ur support & help in clearing my doubts.

Thanks for the Rama nama pdf...shall surely take print outs & write. Photos are real good worth seeing them all.

Can plz give me recipe for Panakam & Neer Mor ( without Ginger) - your Way of doing it.

Also please let me know the proper time for doing puja daily in the morning & in the evening.
    (Also ideal time period for doing sandhyavandana - for my hubby - I know early morning is good but due to work load & office rush he won't be able to do it )

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi chitra,

all ramar pictures are very nice. ramar is my favourite . after reading sundaragandam, i got many miracles in my life. you have sent the lord sri ramar pictures during sri ramanavami. done a good job.sri rama,sita,lakshman and hanuman in sandalwood is simply superb.

regards,

raji

5. gowthamanappu

See the beauty of Ashtamsa Sri Varada Anjaneya decorated with 5008 Karumbu (sugar cane) on thai pongal day. this temple is on the Coimbatore-Avinashi highway. have u seen anything like this?

see the details for the temple and its deity. more photos posted in ---- Trineram/my visit to temple -- posted today.

==================
    Atulita-bal-shamam, hemshailabhadeham
    Danuja-vana-krishanam, gyaninamagraganyam
    Sakalagunanidhanam, vanaranamadheesham |
    Raghupativardootam, Vatajatam namami ||

He who is the repository of immense power with a body glittering like a mountain of gold; who is verily the jungle-fire to incinerate the jungle of demons; the exalted scholar, the mine of all virtue and the master of apesand monkey(vanaramam)- I bow in reverence to such of the wind god, Lord Hanuman, the nenowed ambassador of Lord Rama.

Aamushi krutha marthaandam goshpathi krutha sagaram ||
    thrunee krutha dasagreevam Anjaneyam namamyaham ||

He, who tried to devour the rays of the Sun in one stroke, who crossed the sea as if it is the distance between the front and back legs of the cow , who considered Ravana (Dasagriva) as trifle like grass and ignored him, - I pay obeisance to that Anjaneya.

see the posts and reply/best wishes/chitra.g

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi chitra,

all anjaneyar photos are fine. Lord anjaneyar with 5000 sugarcane decoration is amazing. i never saw like this kind of alangarams...nice for sharing.

raji

7. gowthamanappu

check trinetram/my visit to temple and see karungulam. reply.

chitra.g

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear friends,

Can any of you please post a photo of Kokilambaal of Pondicherry? I need it urgently. Thanks in advance and great to see the good work posted here

9. vijikrishnan

vijikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Chitraji
    I am the Native of Coimbatore and living at Chennai My parents parents house is at Peelamedu (Near the Anjeneyar temple).and my brothers daughter used describe about the alankarams done to Anjeneya in various forms during all festival. I had never seen. Now the karumbualangaram you have posted is very very nice.
    Thanks
    viji

10. gowthamanappu

Sri Rama Navami

Sri Rama Navami is the first festival after Varuda Pirappu. It falls on the navami day of sukla paksham (Waxing moon) after the tamizh new year. As it is a festival during summer months, Neer Moor( Butter milk) and Panagam ( Sweetened water) are the main naivedyams for the lord. Kosamari (Salad) using Cucumber is also prepared. On road sides people set up pandals (Tents) to supply Neer Moor and Panagam stored in large earthern pots, to passers by.
    Recipes for Neer More, Panagam (Paanagam)-

Ingredients

Curd - 2 table spoons
    Drinking water - 2 cups
    Curry leaves 1 twig finely chopped
    A pinch of salt
    Method

Beat the curd well adding all ingredients.
    Store in a Earthern pot or a copper vessel. You can also refrigerate for 1 hour.
    Ingredients
    ----------------------------------------
    Drinking water - 2 cups
    Jaggery - 3 teaspoons
    Cardamom - 1 no
    Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon
    Method

Mix all ingredients and strain to remove impurities in jaggery.
    Store in an earthern pot or copper vessel or chill in the fridge.
    -----------------------------------------

What is the meaning of the word Sandhyavandanam? Vandanam means worship. Both worship and meditation are involved in Sandhyavandanam. What is the meaning of Sandhya? Sandhya means the time of union. The time which relates to the union of two things, i.e. the time between the night and morning (first junction Dawn), between forenoon and afternoon (second junction Noon) and between afternoon and evening (third Jn. Dusk); Sandhya means dawn, noon and dusk. Sandhyavandanam means a ritual done at the time of three junctions, Dawn, Noon and Dusk.

Sandhyavandanam is a junction between the devotee and the Lord. Between Jeevathma and Paramathma.

--------------------------------------------

In case he does not have time, let him recite gayathri mantra whenever he finds time with dedication!

best wishes/chitra.g

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009