Photos of deities

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by vivbass, Feb 9, 2007.

1. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi chitra,

i like vinayagar in any form. all vinayagar photos are very nice. amman in diamond saree is simply superb.all lakshmi photos especially with peacock feather is very nice. thanks for sharing..
    raji

2. gowthamanappu

gowthamanappu Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

gaangirasa barmaesva yasva mouthkal yethi thvayar shaeya prevaran vitha mouthkal yesa gothiraha

regarding the above sloka, Normally it is done in sandhyavandanam and it goes like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'Dharma Sastras require us to pronounce the name of the Rishi of one?s Gotra as also those of the Rishis of one?s Pravara. We do this in all our domestic rituals like Sandhyaavandanam, Upanayanam, Abhivaadanam, Vivaaham etc."

Salutations to goddessess Sandhya, Savitri, Gayatri, Sarasvati and all the deities. The sins I committed were impelled by desire and anger and not of my own free will. The sins that arose out of ignorance under the compulsion of desire must all be forgiven. O gods, I bow to you again and again.
    Now cover both the ears with the fingers of the two hands and recite the following, touching the ground at the end with the hands. (The Rishis etc, vary for each gotrah and are therefore to be learnt from the teacher; and hence those portions are given in parantheses).
    Chant -
    Abhivadaye ( ) arseya pravaranvita (Haritha) gotrah, ( ) sutrah, (Yajuh) sakhadhyayi, sri (parasurama sharma) namaham asmi bhoh

Meaning 18
    O all-formed Devi, I salute your lotus feet. I am born in the gotrah which has (Visvamitra, Aghamarsana, Kausika) rsi-triad as the patriarchs. I follow the (Apastamba) sutra and study (Yajur) Veda. I am called Sri (Your name).

===============================
    Sandhya Vandanam

Sandhya Vandanam is a specially devised efficient spiritual ritual for the realization of the Divinity of the Self (Atman). It is a Nitya Karma or an obligatory daily ritual whose object is to bring about self-purification and attunement to Cosmic Reality. It is an all-round complete ritual which incorporates the principles of the Supreme Divinity (Brahman).
    RITUALS OF THE SANDHYA
    Each part of the ritual is meant to give expression externally to an internal mental attitude and spiritual feeling (Bhava). Some necessary changes are introduced in the Mantras and ritual according to the time of the Sandhya-- dawn, noon, or sunset, and according to the Veda (Rg, Yajur, or Sama) to which the votary is affiliated. However, the main purpose as well as most of the Mantras, the procedures, and rituals are all common.

go thro. this word file enclosed - about sandhya vandanam and u will get answers for some of ur questions too?

================
    regading!

In general i understand gotras...thanks for the wikipedia link...but i have doubt regarding the don'ts in gotras... for example my inlwas gotra is Nabilla gotra in that they say Don'ts are Murungai,Kasthuri,Venkaththirikkai ... is that mean we r not supposed to eat these? and there is separate slokam for that gotra

1. GOTRAS AND PRAVARAS ? AN OVERVIEW ? Part 1
    The Vedas declare that a Brahmin is born into this world with three debts to be discharged.
    ?jaayamaanO vai BraahmaNa: tribhir riNavaa jaayatE/
    BrahmacharyENa rishibhya:, yagjnEna dEvEbhya:,
    Prajayya pitrubhya://
    (Vide: Taittriya Samhita 6.3.10.5, Satapatha BraahmaNa 1.7.2.1-6, Baudayana Dharma Sutra 2.9.16.7, Purva Mimamsa Darsana 6.2.11, Sabara Baashya 1.7.2.3)
    The three debts are:
    1. Rishi RuNam: Debt due to Rishis. This can be discharged by observing celibacy (Brahmacharyam) and learning and studying the Vedas.
    2. DEva RuNam: Debt due to the Celestials: This can be discharged by performing one or more of the Yagjnas like JyotishtOmam, Agni hOtram, Pancha Mahaa Yagjnam etc.
    3. Pitru RuNam: Debt due to manes: This can be discharged by begetting children, after duly getting initiated into Grihastaashrama (as Householder).
    It will be noticed that ?Rishi Runam? is the very first debt mentioned in the above Veda Vaakhyas.

Why?
    ?The debt to the Rishis is the debt which he owes to learning in the shape of his cultural heritage. Such an obligation, he can discharge only by making his own contribution to learning, which he can achieve only on the basis of Brahmacharya? (Vide Radha Kumud Mukherjee, ?Ancient Indian Education?, Delhi, 1989, p.69)

Dharma Sastras require us to pronounce the name of the Rishi of one?s Gotra as also those of the Rishis of one?s Pravara. We do this in all our domestic rituals like Sandhyaavandanam, Upanayanam, Abhivaadanam, Vivaaham etc.

It is therefore, necessary to know about the Gotras and Rishis because it is these Rishis who discovered the Mantras in the first place. Being ?Mantra DrishTas?, Rishis becomes the principal Gurus of the respective Mantras and the founded the Gotras bearing their names.
    (Vide: ArshEya BraahmaNa 1.1.6, Brihad-yoga Yaagjnavalkhya 1.27, Bharadwaja 5.43, Brahma Sutra 1.1.39, Sankara Baashya Brihad Devata 1.2.
    They emphasize that -
    ?The remembrance of the Seer of a Mantra becomes an integral part of any recitation?. ?ArshaanukramaNI? is a work that gives a list of hymns, the authors etc. to familiarize us in this regard.

this is very exhaustive and informative go thro.

Gotras

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arya_Vysya

all the best/chitra.g/reply

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  3. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitraji,

Very nice pictures as every time you do, today the Devi pictures are very good (especially the one in Vegetable Alangaram). Thank you for providing the same.

Can you please tell me which deity is this?

4. Muthuraji

Dear Chitraji,

Ganapathy pictures are very excellent and wonderful. Thank you very much. The Ganapathy photo in Fruit alankaram is very nice.

Your work of posting the deity pictures makes us to visit the site and especially this thread.

Keep doing this work.

5. Muthuraji

You have given lot of slokas in English. Can you please provide the same in Tamil so that it will be convenient to recite. I am sorry for disturbing you.

Thanks in advance.

6. gowthamanappu

He is nothing but simply beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

see and reply.
    Valparai is simply the best!
    ====================================
    Ganesh Ji ki Aarthi
    [The Prayer to Lord Ganesa)
    Translated by P. R. Ramachander

[Aarthi are Hindi prayer songs, sung in a chorus with the waving of lamps before gods. This prayer is addressed to Lord Ganesa.]

Jai Ganes, Jai Ganes, Jai Ganes deva,
    Matha Parvathi, Pitha Mahadeva,
    Yeka danth, char bhuja, dhari,
    Madhe sindhoor sohe moose ki Savari,
    Andhan ko aankh deth Koodeen ko kaya,
    Banjath ko puthra deth, nirdhan ko maya,
    Haar chade, phool chade aur chade meva,
    Laddu aan ka bhog lage santh kare Sevaa,
    Denan ki laaj Rakho Shambhu puthra vari,
    Manoradh ko poora karo jaya balihari.

Victory to Ganesh, Victory to Ganesh, Victory to God Ganesa
    His mother is Goddess Parvathi and his father God Shiva,
    He has one tusk and four hands,
    He applies a thilak on his forehead and rides on a mouse,
    He makes the blind see, gives a full body to the leper,
    He blesses the childless one with child, and he gives wealth to the poor,
    We offer him garland. We offer him flowers, we offer him sweets,
    A great offering of Laddu is made and saints do service to him,
    Oh son of Lord Shiva, Take the offering of beaten rice from us,
    And fulfill our wishes and make us victorious, I submit to you.

chitra.g

right click on the photos and see the bigger picture and enjoy, hope u r doing it????????????????????

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  7. gowthamanappu

No Sorry etc., I am happy that what I am seeing, I am sending the same and I want all to enjoy the same, I am contributing little and happy to reply what is possible. keep enjoying and reply.

enclosing pdf of Lakshmi Ashtothra sathanama stotram. will give one by one and download and preserve, recite, pray and get the blessings of Mother!

best wishes.

chitra.g

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  8. gowthamanappu

Bhajans

Subrahmanyam Subrahmanyam

Shanmukhanatha Subrahmanyam

Subrahmanyam Subrahmanyam

Shanmukhanatha Subrahmanyam

Shiva Shiva Shiva Shiva Subrahmanyam

Hara Hara Hara Hara Subrahmanyam

Shiva Shiva Shiva Shiva Subrahmanyam

Hara Hara Hara Hara Subrahmanyam

Shiva Sharavanabhava Subrahmanyam

Guru Sharavanabhava Subrahmanyam

Shiva Shiva Hara Hara Subrahmanyam

Hara Hara Shiva Shiva Subrahmanyam
    ==========================================
    muruga /shanmugha /subramanya/guha/vadivela/gnanaskanda - saranam saranam

reply/chitra.g - murugan thunai

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  9. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Devis photos & Ganapati, Subramanyam Swamy photos are eye catching thanks so much for sharing with us.

Also thank u for the feedback on recitation of Gotra mantra. Shall ask our family guru for the same. Thanks so much.

Sandhyavandana Document was really good & detailed one.But no where found the answer for the Don'ts

Wht they have mentioned some vegetable's name? Is that mean we r not suppose to use/eat them?

What's venkaththrikai mean? (I am not that familiar with Tamil) - kathrikai is brinjal right? Ven - means which variety of kathrikai?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  10. Muthuraji

Dear Chitraji

Very nice photos of Ganesha, Muruga and Lakshmi. Thank you for answering my query immediately.

Thanks a lot for you for sending the PDF file of the Lakshmi Ashthothara Sathanama Stotram. Please keep sending the slokas so that I can preserve the files and recite it.

Thanks a ton again.:bowdown I am very :crazy in collecting slokas.