Photos of deities

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by vivbass, Feb 9, 2007.

1. gowthamanappu

gowthamanappu Bronze IL'ite

Bharat Savitri
    [Moral of the Epic Mahabharata]
    By Veda Vyasa

[These 4 verses are found in the end of the epic Mahabaratha as well as Harivamsam which is an annexure to the great epic Mahabharata written by Veda Vyasa. These are supposed to be the moral (essence) of the great epic Mahabharata. There is another version containing 100 stotras which are mainly a discussion between Lord Krishna and King Duryodhana. These 4 verses are also included in that collection.]

Mata pitra sahsrani putra dara satanica
    Samsare svanubhutani yanti yasyanti chapare 1

Thousands of mothers and fathers,
    And hundreds of wives and sons,
    Are experienced in several births,
    And are going to be experienced in the future.

Harsha sthana sahasrani bhaya sthana satani cha
    Divase divase moodam avisanti na panditam 2

Thousands of experiences of happiness
    Hundreds of experiences of fears,
    Afflict the dim witted man,
    But will not affect the wise man.

Urdhva bahur viraumyesha na cha kascid srunoti may
    Dharmad arthascha kamasca sa dharma kim na sevyate 3

I am shouting this loudly,
    Raising my hands above,
    But no one listens to this,
    Wealth and love comes out of Dharma*,
    But no one is bothered to practice his Dharma.
    *Right and just duty.

Na jatu kaman na bhayan na lobbhad
    Dharmam tyaje jjivitasyapi hetho
    Nityo dharmah sukha dukhe tvanitye
    Jivo nityo heturasya tvanitye. 4

Dharma should not be forsaken,
    Either due to desire, fear or avarice,
    Dharma is permanent but pleasure and sorrow are temporary,
    Like soul is permanent but body is temporary.

Phala Sruthi
    (Result of reading)

Imaam bhaarata saavitriim praatah utthaaya yah pateth,
    Sapta janma krithai paapai sa mukta sukham edhate 1

He who reads this Bharatha Savitri as soon as he wakes up,
    Would get rid sins done in his last seven births and be happy.

Divaa vaa yadi vaa raatrau vanesu visayesu cha,
    Na bhayam vidyate kimchith kaarya siddhih bhavishyati 2

He who reads it in day or night in forest or during discussion,
    Would not feel afraid and would be able to complete his job.

Yat phalam go sahasrasya svarnena alankrithasya cha,
    Dattasya vidhinaa paatre tat phalam labhate narah. 3

He would also get the same result as when he presents,
    One thousand cows decorated by gold to a proper person,
    And following suitable rituals.

Aho raatra kritam paapam shravanaat eva nashyati,
    Samvatsara kritam paapam pathanaat eva nashyati. 4

The sin committed in a full day will be lost just by hearing it,
    And the sin committed in a year would be lost by reading it.

reply/hope u love these/chitra.g

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. gowthamanappu

Gomatha Stuti
    [Prayer to Mother Cow]

[Kamadhenu is an all wish satisfying cow of heavens. This prayer (according to the last sloka) is addressed by Indra to Kamadhenu. It has been adapted as a prayer to the cow by all Hindus.]

Namo devyai Maha devyai,
    Surabyai cha namo nama.
    Gavam Bheeja swaroopaya,
    Namasthe Jagad Ambike. 1

Salutations to the mother of the world,
    Who lives as a seed in all cows,
    Salutations to that goddess,
    Who is a great goddess,
    And who is the wish yielding cow.

Namo radha priyayai cha
    Padmamsaya namo nama,
    Nama Krishna priyayai cha
    Gavam mathre namo nama. 2

Salutations to the pet of Radha,
    Salutations to the essence of lotus,
    Salutations to the daring of Krishna,
    Salutations to the mother of all cows.

Kalpa vruksha swaroopayai,
    Sarvesham sathatham pare,
    Ksheeradayai, dhanadayai,
    Budhidayai namo nama. 3

Salutations to her who gives milk,
    Riches and intelligence,
    Who is the form of wish giving tree,
    And Who is greater than everything.

Shubhayai subhadarayai
    gopradhayai namo nama
    Yasodhayai kerthidhayai,
    Dharmadhayai namo nama. 4

Salutations to her who gives good,
    Who takes care of us,
    And who gives us cows.
    Salutations to her who blesses us with Dharma,
    And Who gives us fame and victory.

Stotra shravana mathrena,
    Dushta, hrushta jagatprasu,
    Mahendraya varam dhatwa,
    Go lokam saa yayaou puna. 5

As soon as she who destroys bad ones,
    Heard this prayer of the king of devas,
    She gave him all boons,
    And went to the abode of cows.

best wishes/reply/chitra.g

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. gowthamanappu

STORIES OF HANUMAN

BIRTH OF ANJANEYA

Anjana was a lovely young Vaanara* maiden. One day as she was strolling in the sylvan gardens of Kishkindha, the wind god Vayu came by hurriedly and swept her garland away. Anjana was startled and about to get angry with the god, but by then the strong and energetic wind god had realized his folly and returned to apologise. As he cast his eyes on her, he was struck by Manmatha, the god of love. He apologized to her delicately and Anjana was taken in very much by this handsome young man. They married.

*Vaanaras = Monkey people

In time, they had a lovely baby boy. He was called Anjaneya or Anjana's son. He was as intelligent as he was mischievous. Vayu had immense responsibilities and he could not keep them waiting any longer. Having bestowed upon his son his own powers, Vayu bid farewell to a tear-filled Anjana and his lovely young son.

Anjaneya was growing to be an unmanageable child. One day, he saw the sun at the break of dawn. He was tempted by what he thought was a luminous orange fruit and leapt skyward to catch it. Surya, the Sun laughed thinking that the little monkey was going to fall down to the earth and hurt himself, but nothing of that sort happened. Instead, the monkey came closer and closer to the sun and he was not even getting scorched!

Comprehending the situation it a little too late, Surya ran to Indra, the king of gods, for help. Indra mounted Airavata, his elephant, and rushed towards Anjaneya. The little monkey now excitedly turned his attention to this elephant. But sadly, just then, Indra's thunderbolt struck him and he fell down!

Vayu sensed that something was wrong and rushed just in time to hold his son in his arms. He learnt what had happened and was outraged. He broodingly retired into a cave deep in to the earth.

The three worlds began to choke and struggle for want of air. The gods panicked and rushed to the creator Brahma for help. Brahma went to Indra and asked him to apologise to Vayu, for he had struck a mere little child with his tremendous thunderbolt. Indra, realizing his folly, did so. Vayu yielded to Indra's apology. Brahma revived Anjaneya. He was now called Hanuman, one whose chin is broken (by the thunderbolt).

Vayu asked the little monkey to pay his obeisance to Brahma. The mischievous one did so and when the pleased Brahma told him to ask for a boon, he cleverly asked, 'Give me all the wisdom you have!'

Brahma, understanding the magnitude of the little boon, smilingly granted him the boon. For giving away wisdom only multiplied it and did not make the giver any poorer for it! Further, Brahma granted that he would, because of his wisdom, be a Chiranjeevi or an eternal being.
    ====================================================
    Mangalya Prarthana
    [Universal Prayer to well being from the Vedas]

Swasthi prajabhya paripalayantham,
    Nyayena margena maheem maheesa,
    Gobrahmanebhyo shubhamasthu nithyam,
    Loka samastha Sukhino bhavantu.

Let good things occur to the king of the country,
    Who looks after his people well, in the path of justice,
    Let Cows* and Brahmins** have a pleasant life daily,
    Let all people of the world have a very pleasant life.
    *wealth was measured by cows in those times
    ** People in search of God

Kale varshathu parjanya,
    Prauthwee sasya shalini,
    Deso yam kshobha rahitha,
    SAjjana santhu nirbhaya.

Let the monsoon be timely and plentiful,
    Let earth be covered with vegetation,
    Let the country live without problems,
    And let good people never have fear.

Aputhra puthrina santhu,
    Puthrina santhu pouthrina,
    Adhana sadhana,
    Santhu jeevanthu sarada satham.

Let sonless people have son,
    Let people with son have grand sons,
    And let people who are poor or rich,
    Live and see one hundred autumns.

Sarvathra sukhina santhu,
    Sarve santhu niramaya,
    Sarve bhadrani pasyanthu,
    Ma kaschid dukha bhag bhaveth.

Let people live with pleasure everywhere,
    Let all people live without diseases,
    Let every one feel themselves secure,
    And let none have at anytime sorrow,

Om Sarvesham swasthir bhavthu,
    Om Sarvesham santhir Bhavathu,
    Om Sarvesham poornam Bhavathu,
    Om Sarvesham Mangalam Bhavathu.

Let comfort be every where,
    Let peace be everywhere,
    Let there be plenty everywhere,
    And let good things happen everywhere.

Om Santhi, Om Santhi, Om Santhi

Let there be peace,
    Let there be peace,
    Let there be peace.

Nonmbu wishes to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/chitra.g/reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! apt prayer on nonbu?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  4. gowthamanappu

Angala Parameswari

The temple of Angala Parameswari is 32 kms from Gingee, the special deity of the Sembadavars. Here festival occurs in February-March. A special feature of this festival is the Simimasana kollai. The people who attend the festival cook large quantities of grain of various kinds and set them out in the burning ground and offer them to goddess who is brought there. Every Ammavasai (New Moon day) there will be the Lakhs of devotees throng here. situated here. In the inner sanctum there is a snake pit which is being worshipped. There is a congregation of devotees on every new moon day

========================================
    Chathu Sloki Gita
    [Gita in four Verses]

Translation by P. R. Ramachander/courtesy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[These 4 verses occurring in the tenth chapter of Bhagwad Gita viz the essence of God is considered by large number of savants as the essence of the Gita but appears to me as containing a succinct definition of the way of devotion (Bhakthi Marga) of Bhagwad Gita, I am giving the meaning of these 4 verses in a simple transparent language here.]

Aaham sarvasya prabhavo,
    Matha sarvam pravarthate,
    Ithi mathwa bhajanthe maam,
    Budha bhava samanvitha. 10-8

The wise man with devotion,
    Sings praises of me understanding that,
    I am the power behind everything,
    And everything works because of me.

Math chitha math gatha prana,
    Bodayantha parasparam,
    Kadayanthascha maam nithyam,
    Thooshyanthi cha ramanthi cha. 10-9

The wise men thinking about me,
    And devoting their lives to me,
    Talk with each other about me,
    And become satisfied and happy.

Tesham sathatha yukthanam,
    Bhajatham preethi poorvakam,
    Dadahami budhi yogam tham,
    Yena maam upayanthi they. 10-10

They always sing my prayers,
    With love and concentration,
    And I grant them unified wisdom,
    So that they can attain me.

Tesham yevanukambartha,
    Aham agnanajam thama,
    Nasayamyath mabhavastha,
    Jnana deepena bhaswatha. 10-11

With great compassion for them,
    Dwelling deep in their heart of hearts,
    I destroy their darkness of ignorance,
    With a shining lamp of wisdom.

reply/chitra.g

==========================

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  5. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Which photo is of diamond saree one?
    The Lilita Devi & Gauri photos are really very beautiful...thanks for sharing with us.

In general i understand about gotras, every gotras has some Don'ts... why is it? do really all people follow it?

And in the Ganapati puja: what does this step says? "What is the meaning of this following line?"

Om Ganapataye namah. Mahaganapati sripadukayam poojayami tarpayami namah.

6. gowthamanappu

Hi,

first Gotra?

Gotra is the Sanskrit term for a much older system of tribal clans. The Sanskrit term "Gotra" was initially used by the Vedic people for the identification of the lineages. Generally, these lineages mean patrilineal descent from the sages or rishis in Brahmins, warriors and administrators in Kshatriyas and ancestral trademen in Vaisyas.
    The lineage system, either patrilineal or matrilineal, was followed by the South Asian people. In the present day Hinduism, Gotra is applied to all the lineage systems. Many Hindu castes have lineages that do not follow Vedic classification.

go thro. this link and understand

Gotra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

===============================================
    regarding Moola Mantra!

Moola Mantras are powerful sounds and are very rich in their meaning which when chanted produce great effects. These are chanted repeatedly and that is called Japa.
    Japa is a key part of Hindu prayer

While doing japa one can meditate on the mantra and its meaning. As the mind dwell more and more into that, the mind and takes up to the higher States and forms the path to the great liberation -eternal bliss

What makes moola mantras so special as compared to the normal words? Moola mantras are not human creations. Especially given that there are sages associated with the moola mantras!

go through this link which explains moola mantram in detail!
    Vedic Links - An website for connecting with divine people

============================================

Holy scriptures are not topics for debate. They are said with a purpose and today’s man has zero authority to challenge them. Making a mockery of them not only proves their ignorance but defiance to our Lord and His plenary expansions who have written those scriptures.

go thro. this too_________ http://nayna.in/blog/divine-grace/lord-ganesh’s-mantras/

-------------------------------------------------

as far as I know, it means I surrender at his feet!

and the comments quoted above are not mine, It is from wiki and vedic sites? Hope u will understand! Gana is the most important deity and we do not start anything without him. I believe in the above quoted words. that too Moola mantra. I am a small fry?

best wishes, hope u will go thro. understand and reply?

chitra.g

diamond saree next?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
    sumasandeep likes this.
  7. gowthamanappu

History of the Temple : KANYAKA PARMESWARI AALAYAM (Ammavari Shala)

little brief?

Parameswara, Shiva Sankara, has sent down a small flow of water from his rounded plaits(Jatas) where he had stored the holy Ganga, to this holy town of “BHRADHNAPURI” which later on is being called Proddatur meaning almost the same in Telugu.Bradhna is the Sanskrit form for Proddu in Telugu which means Surya. In Tretayuga, Sri Rama Chandra halted here at Sun rise on his way to Ayodhya after killing Ravana. Hence the name Bradhna puri. Now coming to the flow of water from the Jetajutam of Adi Shankra a small dhara became a river and is called Pinakini (now called Penna). The town is on its northern bank of the river.

Proddatur is well known not only in Andhra Pradesh but also throughout India for its great business. Especially gold and Cotton for its culture and poets. The business is mainly made progressive and prosperous by the 102 Gotrajas of Vysyas.

If Penugonda on the bank of the river Godavari, is the birth place of “Akhilandeswari”, Adi Parashkthi Kanyaka Parameswari, this Proddatur on the bank of Pinakini is the incarnation Playfield for her who is here as Her incarnation is called most dearly as Sri Vasavi Kanyaka Parameswari. With her blessings, Brahmana, Kshetriya, Vyasya, Sudra and People of other religions are flourishing here. This is the main stay for the 102 Gotrajas. There is a popular saying here in this area that one who comes here for a living will never leave it. One must just know how to make a living and Ammavaru will look after the rest of the things.

Sri Ammavaru is worshipped according to Smartha Agama Tradition of pooja. Everyday Shodashopachara Puja is performed. Devotees have her darshan and present her their wishes. Ammavaru who is kind to all her devotees grant their wishes soon. The devotees fulfill their vows and present her to their utmost mite.
    ==============================

I also landed like u first in the site mentioned by u? after that I landed in to this beautiful temple and I have sent only few photos? More later after hearing from U.

I have not seen any deity with diamond saree so far!..(fifth photo) go. thro. and enjoy and get blessed!

chitra.g

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  8. gowthamanappu

Prayer for world peace

Hindu Dharma is known as Vaidika Sanatana Hindu Dharma. This was not instituted by any particular person, and has been in existence from the days of yore. The Vedas, which are the authentic manuals governing this Santana Dharma, too were not created by anyone.

"Yasya Nisyasitam Vedah Yo Vedobhyokhilam Jagat"

Vedas are the very breath of the Lord. Even as the process of breathing is indispensable for man's existence, so too are the Vedas for the protection and preservation of the Santana Hindu Dharma. Protection of the Vedas means protection of the world at large. How does one sustain the Vedas? It is only by studying and understanding the spirit of the Vedas and by observing the duties enjoined therein. These Vedas are four in number - Rig, Yajur, Saama and Atharvana. Of these, the Yajur Veda is the most important for the reason that it contains the famous Rudrapatha in praise of Sri Rudra (Parameswara). By reciting the Rudra Japa and performing the Rudrahoma - Rudra - the Aasutoshi - one who is easily pleased - the benevolent grace of Lord Rudra is bestowed on the entire universe.

Likewise, reciting/performing the havan of Durga Saptasati which details the protective valorous deeds of Sri Durga, ensures the removal of all hurdles and receiving the unbounded grace of the Devi.

Bharatavarsha is a holy place. In it lies Kanchipuram, one among the 51 Shakti Peetams and one of the Seven Mokshapuris. It is known as 'Nagareshu Kanchi' - Kanchi, the source of unlimited knowledge. This holy town enshrines in itself the Kshetra of Sri Varadaraja, the Kshetra of Lord Muruga (wherein was inaugurated Kandapuranam), the Kshetra of Ekambaresa where Devi Kamakshi propitiated her consort Sri Ekambaranatha beneath a Mango tree.

Peetham - so very aptly named since Kanchipuram happens to be navel - centre (Naabhistaanam). Adi Sankara started the 'Indra Saraswathi' Sampradaya, became the first and foremost pontiff and nominated as His immediate successor a young bright Brahmachari belonging to the village of Brammadesam on the banks of the sacred Tamraparni and conferred on Him the ascetic title 'Sarvagnyatman'. Sri Adi Sankara still and forever shines in the precincts of Devi Kamakshi's Temple as Videha Mukhta. This Svayampeetha of Pujya Sri Adi Sankara Bagavadpada has since been adorned by an an illustrious lineage of great Mahatmas.

Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Mahaswami initiated Jayendra Saraswathi Swami into ascetic order in 1954. Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swami, during the last 50 years, has been involved in maintaining Vedic traditions, propagation of Advaita philosophy, establishing Veda Patasalas and encouraging Sastric education. In addition to these, His Holiness has founded and has been guiding innumerable institutions and programmes including schools, hospitals, rural health centres, colleges and deemed university, old-age homes, ayurvedic college dispensaries and hospitals, school for the physically handicapped and cultural training centres.

Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swami has undertaken several yatras throughout the subcontinent, meeting the masses everywhere and spreading the message of goodwill, especially among the downtrodden.
    ================================

Names of Lakshmi :

Lakshmi has many names. She is known to be very closely associated with the Lotus, and her many epithets are connected to the flower, such as:

Padma: lotus dweller.

Kamala: lotus dweller.

Padmapriya: One who likes lotuses

Padmamaladhara devi: One who wears a garland of lotuses

Padmamukhi: One whose face is as beautiful as a lotus

Padmakshi: One whose eyes are as beautiful as a lotus

Padmahasta: One who holds a lotus

Padmasundari: One who is as beautiful as a lotus

===========================================

best wishes

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  9. sumasandeep

Thanks for posting the Devi snap in diamond Saree... its marvelous....

In general i understand gotras...thanks for the wikipedia link...but i have doubt regarding the don'ts in gotras... for example my inlwas gotra is Nabilla gotra in that they say Don'ts are Murungai,Kasthuri,Venkaththirikkai ... is that mean we r not supposed to eat these? and there is separate slokam for that gotra

aangirasa barmaesva yasva mouthkal yethi thvayar shaeya prevaran vitha mouthkal yesa gothiraha

when we are suppose to chant this sloka? what is the meaning of it?

Thanks for the info on Proddatur.& Kanyaka parameshwari devi... i believe u have more info...plz share with us...

The ganapati photos are real good we enjoyed.

The meaning of Om Ganapataye namah. Mahaganapati sripadukayam poojayami tarpayami namah is I surrender at his feet!.... thanks for this.

10. sumasandeep

The lakshmi devis photos are very good feel very rare ones.... was happy to read about the goddess Lakshmi associated with padma & her different names... I remember lotus is very sacred flower for lakshmi puja