procedure for lighting diyas with lemon in banashankari amma Bangalore

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by cutiee87, Sep 29, 2013.

1. cutiee87

cutiee87 Senior IL'ite

Hi ILiets,

Im from Bangalore. Today I went to banashankari amma temple. The temple was so good and I saw many people offering diya aarthi with squeezed inverted lemons. I have asked the procedure regarding how many diyas to light from one devotee, I got different opinions from different devotees.

Does anyone know what is the exact procedure and how many diya to light to get the blessings form banashankari amma

Please reply I thought of doing this pooja please help me!!!:help

Thanks,
    Cutiee87

2. rashmids

rashmids New IL'ite

Hi,
    I know this is a pretty old thread..i was looking for similar info but coudnt find exact answer..found a blog written by someone (link :Sukanya's musings: RAHU KAALAM, YAMA GANDA KAALAM & GULIKA KAALAM, LIGHTING LEMON LAMPS )...though it is nowhere mentioned same thing is followed in Banashankari Amma's temple i assumed it to be same as it is said that Banashankari Amma is the sixth incarnation of the warrior-goddess Durga (Found this info in wiki).

The person who wrote this blog has mentioned following steps:

Step 1: It is believed that 3 Ripe yellow lemons have to be taken and cut into equal halves. When you cut 3 lemons, you get 6 pieces(6 halves), one is offered to Ganapati(Lord Ganesh) who had been given the boon by Goddess Parvati (Shakti and Durga are the forms of Goddess Parvati) that he will always get the privilege of being worshipped first before any Gods and Goddesses. So one piece of the lemon lamp is offered to Lord Ganesha and the remaining 5 pieces to Goddess Durga. We must remember that the number of lemon lamps lit for the Devi have to be always Odd Numbers, so 1, 3 5, 7 or 11 as per how you pray to the Goddess.
    Step 2: The juice of the lemon has to be squeezed.
    Note: The juice of the lemons cannot be consumed before lighting the lamp for the devi as it will be considered as leftover(“echhal” as they say in Tamil or “jhoota” as they say in Hindi). In some temples they have a vessel where in you can squeeze the lemon, incase you wan to squeeze the lemons at home and take you can keep the lemon juice in a vessel and after you light the lamp at the temple you can do Neivedyam (offer to God and take like Prasad) and consume the juice or make lemon sherbet out of it.
    Step 3 : Scoop out everything inside the lemon, and turn it inside out, so it becomes like a cup. If its very wet wipe it with a tissue, otherwise it’s okay, now introduce a thread or a wicker or a ball of cotton shaped with a wicker on top and fill the lemon with ghee
    Step 4: Apply some manjal (turmeric) and kumkumam (kumkum) on both sides of the lemon. Light the lamp, praying to the Goddess simultaneously requesting her to fulfill your wishes. Place the lemon lamp at the place allotted for keeping lemon lamps in the temple and bow to the Goddess.

Please add any more info you guys have regarding this.

Thanks,
    Rashmi