Misconception or Presumption ? (Beware:It is related to Islam)

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Yumna, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

REQUEST: Respected Readers,Please read with a clear mind.

It was one of the several points of a Member in some other forum/thread here in IL.And no, i am not offended,neither i need to prove anything to any one.Then why i am here to talk about this? Because,i have noticed that it is not the only that member who had wrote this.It is the most common presumption of non-Muslims towards Islam.Why i have chosen to answer it here and that too i am discussing her last point as my first.The reason is, i do not want to discuss "Religion" in some other forum.The second but the main thing is all the other points mentioned by the respected member are related to Muslims and does not imply/affect any other sect other than Muslims howsoever,like polygamy,Hoor for men,women's witness in court etc;etc.

But "Killing non believer ensures place in jannat" implies to all other sects/religions other than Muslims.

Islam is the most misunderstood religion in the world.It is not only misunderstood by non-Muslims, but by some Muslims too.Such is the misunderstanding and the prejudice against it that Muslims and Non-Muslims alike often regard it as an impediment, as a barrier to good peaceful relations between Muslims and non-Muslims and even between Muslims and Muslims.

I am not here to defend Muslims.No one, Muslims or non-Muslims, can deny that there have been a lot of terrorist acts perpetrated by Muslims . But then a lot of terrorism has also been perpetrated by non-Muslims. The difference is that if a Muslim is involved, the deed is immediately attributed to Islam. When a non-Muslim commits crime, his deed is not linked to his religion,or should say his religion is not linked to his crime.Have many times have you heard the term "Hindu terrorist","Jew terrorist","Christian terrorist",". And how many times you have read/heard/used/ the term Muslim terrorist? please be honest !

"Killing non believer ensures place in jannat",If i ask the Member who wrote it,and all those who "liked" that so called realistic post,'most likely' she herself would not be knowing and if yes what is the proof?

I will give you that root from where this prejudice has been propagated since years.

“…and kill them wherever you find them…” (Qur’an, 2:191)

For those who do not know,the above one is the Verse used as an evidence that Muslims are required to kill anyone who does not accept Islam. So it is clear from the above verse that Muslims are allowed rather ordered to kill Muslims ! you are not to be blamed,it appears like that to me too...a Muslim.

Here,I want to ask you one question.Do you agree that to understand or grasp the meaning and purpose of a paragraph,you must read the whole sentence or paragraph?I want you to pause and say to your selves Yes or No.

If we quote one verse of a paragraph without quoting what comes before it or after it or both, then the meaning is lost and anyone may interpret that verse according to their desire.

"And fight in the Way of Allah those who fight you, but transgress not the limits. Truly, Allah likes not the transgressors". Quran,2:190

And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. wrongful persecution is worse than killing. And fight not with them at the sanctuary at Makkah, unless they start fighting you. But if they attack you, then kill them.That is the recompense of such disbelievers. Quran,2:191

But if they cease, then Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. Quran,2:192

The above verses were clearly revealed about the disbelievers of Quraish at the time of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).These are referring to a group of hypocrites who had harmed Muslims and were still trying to harm and kill the Muslims.I do not want to go in those details.

To clarify the Misconception that Islam forces itself on others:

“ There is no compulsion in religion…” (Quran, 2:256)

“Had your Lord wanted, all the people on earth would have believed. So will you force people to believe?” (Quran, 10:99)

“So remind them: your only task is to remind, you’re not supposed to force them.” (Quran, 88:21-22)

“He does not forbid you to deal kindly and justly with anyone who has not fought you for your faith and driven you out of your homes, God loves the just.” (Quran, 60:08)

"If anyone killed a person not in retaliation of murder, or (and) to spread mischief in the land - it would be as if he killed all mankind, and if anyone saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of all mankind. (Quran,5:32)

"O mankind! WE created you from a single soul, male and female, and We made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other. Verily, the most honored of you in the sight of Allah is the greatest of you in piety. Allah is All-knowing, All-aware". (Quran 49:13)

"To you be your religion, and to me my religion". (Quran,109:6)

Could the Quran be any more clearer on this issue?

Proof from the Prophet of Islam:

The second source in Islam, after the Qur’an, are the statements made by the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon Him). Let’s see what He has said about non-Muslims and how to force them to join Islam.

“Whoever kills an innocent soul will not even smell the fragrance of Paradise.” [Sahih Bukhārī]

"Show mercy to those on earth, and the Lord of the Heavens will show mercy to you." [Tirmidhi]

"Allah would torment those who torment people in the world" [Saheeh Muslim]

Yes,there is one thing what we are commanded to do.That is conveying the message of God.Whether any one accepts or rejects is not our concern.

Invite to the Way of your Lord with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'ân) and fair preaching. (Quran,16:125)

If they turn away, your duty is only to convey the Message. (Quran,3:20)

Yes,some Muslims like some people of any other religion will be involved in terrorism,robbery,murder,or rape.But Islam should not be blamed for their evil deeds. It is only their misunderstandings about their own religion that led them that far.It is they who are wrong not Islam.

Don't judge Islam by its people.Islam is not responsible or to be blamed for my (read Muslims) thoughts and evil deeds.

I am extending my heartfelt gratitude to all those who have read this long post from start till end.

{Compiled from various sources}

2. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

Yes,some Muslims will be involved in terrorism,robbery,murder,or rape.But Islam should not be blamed for their evil deeds. It is only their misunderstandings about their own religion that led them that far.
    True yumna people misuse quran in many ways.
    It was very sad to read that saudi preacher' daughter story !As you are in saudi u must have heard it.

But whatever it is ,muslims are very good in keeping fraternity where as hindus lack it like anything, seriously hindus need to have a sunday school at least!-on a lighter note:)

Everybody should defend their religion ,i strongly believe ,for we know our religion better!

My 3 friends are muslims and we never discuss religion-anything else under the sun is welcome.

5 people like this.
  3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Yumna, I liked the 'beware' in the title:) I don't know too much about scriptures in any religion but I agree that a few tenets are highlighted over and over again to support our point of view about any religion. The best we can do is question ourselves when it is our turn. Your signature quote says it all.

8 people like this.
  4. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Yumna- I wrote some of what you quote. I appreciate you taking time to educate some of us about the true context some of those statements. I see you are a person of faith and practice your religion in right manner.

Pardon me for my views but I did not say what I said to incite or spread hatred. My knowledge came from some muslims itself. Frankly it was after Sept 11, I saw on TV a muslim cleric who was interviews who was asked this question about jannat and 72 virgins. I am not making this up but he totally did not refute it. The general belief is it is mentioned in Quran. Some of the other things I had mentioned is apparently Sharia law followed in many Muslim countries. I have read articles in magazines like Time where I read some of what I mentioned.

If I am wrong and it is not followed in Islam, I truly apologize. Its not my intention to spread falsehoods about any religion.

But I think, one of the reason people associate Islam with terrorism is because many who are terrorist, go around proclaiming they are doing it for Islam.When you constantly see those videos it feeds into that narrative. You obviously have read your holy book but for most of us we get our information from what is so blatantly out there. My understanding is Hindus or jews or Christians when they commit similar crimes, they are operating on their own rather than being associated with any religion.

Two things need to happen. People like you who follow your faith with sincerity should speak out like you are doing not just when others perpetuate falsehood but also when fellow muslims perpetuate those same falsehoods about your religion. In fact that is more important because it is those unhinged people who are real enemies. My father always said Islam is most well written religion but then he is well read. I am not so knowledgeable and most people like me just go with all that we hear and hence there is s much misconception. That is why I mentioned that Muslims should collectively come out against these people who use their religion to spread hatred. I will give you an example- when that Danish cartoon incident happened, we saw on tv many many protesters came out to protest that. I think the faithful should come out in droves in similar fashion to protest the use of Islam by terrorist for their own selfish needs.

sindmani, lucky2, Uttaraa and 6 others like this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot Yumna for clarifying the common misconceptions. You have certainly done a good service to your faith and to all those who are not clear about what your religion really says.

No religion preaches violence against innocents.

I loved this and it could not get any clearer.

sindmani, lucky2, SuperLily and 5 others like this.
  6. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Yumna,
    I was hoping someone would do this. :thumbsup

3 people like this.
  7. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

First of all, thanks to Shanti di who had nominated this post and broght it to limelight...:thumbsup

Yumna I simply loved your subdued yet unambiguous clarity in approach. A part of me did ache seeing few high dosage threads on Islam which floated days ago.
    Islam being painted as extreme in modern world, generalizing the entire community because of few who perpetrate injustice in the name of faith, sensitizing the twisted and twitched ideologies for mere personal and political gains is the appalling state of Islam which literally means “Peace”.

sindmani, rosy786 and Yumna like this.
  8. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

A good eye opener Yumna...

2 people like this.
  9. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

YUMNA, you rock..........!!!!!

I live you live we live only once not twice or thrice,
    this life is for following your heart not sqabbling over cheese like mice,

you came as light and brought about vision,
    that to live and let live is the only human mission,

YAMUNA is the river that quenches millions thirst,
    but IL stole a march upon the world cause we got her first,

i was not knowledgable about the subject that YAMUNA mam taught,
    but there are somethings in life whom from the soul are sought,

we here are one family and we have no religion,
    i guess thats why being on IL has been so much fun,

so hereby BEWARNED all those who come to divide us on religion, caste or creed,
    cause the folk of IL will have NO MERCY upon you for doing such a dasterdly deed............

6 people like this.
  10. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Seetha for your feed back.

Truly speaking,my post was not to defend my religion but a mere "try" to clear a few misconceptions.

5 people like this.