Shirdi SaiBaba’s views on Fasting as per SaiSatcharitra

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by Saisakthi, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Shirdi SaiBaba’s views on Fasting as per SaiSatcharitra

There are many disturbances for many devotees performing Baba’s Pooja or observing Vrat for Baba, some of the following questions which disturb their mind/thoughts while taking a Vow to Sayee.

1. Should I be on fast the whole day?

2. Can I break my fast after the Pooja because I feel exhausted or I have such & such an ailment for which I need to eat?

3. As I am on medication I need to be healthy and cannot be on empty stomach!

4. When I observing Vrat or doing Pooja can I eat fruits or have liquids?

5. So many different questions/doubts like this.

Here you go for yourself, Please read and understand what was said by BABA.. if we really surrendering to him, if we want him to bless us, Should we not follow what he has told us to do..

Just wanted to highlight the following chapter to enable devotees to decide actually whether they need to fast or not? It should not stop there but also convince other devotees that Baba was actually against Fasting, neither did he fast nor did he ask his children to fast.

QUOTE: Chapter 32 – SaiSatcharitra - In the Quest of Guru and God - Fasting Disapproved.

In this Chapter Hemadpant describes two things:- (1) How Baba met His Guru in the woods, and through him God; and (2) How Baba made one Mrs. Ghokhale, who had made up her mind to fast for three days, eat Puran-Polis.

Fasting and Mrs. Gokhale

Baba never fasted Himself, nor did He allow others to do so. The mind of the faster is never at ease, then how could he attain his Paramartha (goal of life)? God is not attained on an empty stomach; first the soul has to be appeased. If there is no moisture of food in the stomach and nutrition, with what eyes should we see God, with what tongue should we describe His greatness and with what ears should we hear the same? In short, when all our organs get their proper nutrition and are sound, we can practise devotion and other sadhanas to attain God.

Therefore, neither fasting nor overeating is good. Moderation in diet is really wholesome both to the body and mind.

One Mrs. Gokhale came to Shirdi with an introductory letter from Mrs. Kashibai Kanitkar (a devotee of Baba) to Dada Kelkar. She came to Baba with a determination to sit at Baba's Feet observing a three days fast. The day previous, Baba said to Dada Kelkar, that He would not allow his children to starve during the Shimga, i.e., Holi holidays, and that if they had to starve, why was He there? Next day when the woman went with Dada Kelkar and sat at Baba's Feet,

Baba at once said to her, "Where is the necessity of fasting? Go to Dadabhat's house, prepare the dish of Puran POlis (wheat rotis with gram-flour and jaggery), feed his children and yourself too." Shimga holidays were on. Mrs. Kelkar was then in her menses and there was nobody to cook in Dadabhat's house. So Baba's advice was very timely. Then Mrs. Gokhale had to go to Dadabhat's house and prepare the dish as directed. She cooked that day, fed others and herself. What a good story and how beautiful its import! UNQUOTE

Will there be any use of doing Pooja and doing something against what he said, How Baba would be happy if you do what he has asked his devotees not to do..

Devotees doing Saisatcharitra Parayan with through understanding will have "NO DOUBTS" what so ever about "Fasting"

Please observe what has been told by Baba to seek his blessings...

எவன் ஒருவன் எப்போதும் என்னை அவன் மனத்தில் இருத்தி,

எனக்கு நிவேதனம் செய்யாமல் உணவை ஏற்கமாட்டானோ,

நான் அவனுடைய அடிமை.என்னிடமே வேட்கை கொண்டு மற்றெல்லாவற்றையும்

துச்சமாக கருதுபவனுக்கும் நான் அதேபோல் இருப்பேன்.-ஸ்ரீ ஷிர்டி சாய்பாபா.

Thank you Baba for always guiding us Bow

19 people like this.

2. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful Saisakthi..Well said!I was just thinking about this chapter when I read the other thread posted regarding thursday vrat..and Baba's beautiful words and love for everyone,that he couldn't bear it that anyone should go hungry.and then I saw your post.
    So many times throughout the book,one sees Baba's concern for his devotees,HE makes sure that they eat their fill,not even a dog's hunger escapes his attention.

3. Saisakthi

True Sister, Baba can never see anyone hungry, to appease Dog's hunger he asked for Roti's and when Lakshmi Bai hurriedly brought Roti from home, he feeded the dog, for which she felt bad, then he explained to her how its satisfies him when the dog's hunger is fulfilled and he belched though it was the dog which ate.

It is for this reason devotees should read Saisatcharitra with utmost care to understand each and everything mentioned for us to know, and not make it a mere drill for the sake of reading, Thankyou for dropping in with your views.

4. Saisakthi

@sowmyaraman81 Thanks for liking the thread, May Baba bless you.

5. Saisakthi

@malligashivaram, Thanks for dropping by and reading the post, Om sairam

6. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Saisakthi,

It is good to read such knowledgeable details about baba....
    May baba bless you in abundance...

Regards
    Malar

7. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful explanation.. Thanks for sharing Sai Sakthi Sister..:)

8. ashkish2011

ashkish2011 New IL'ite

my 2yr old son eat food only seeing baba pictures when he get up morning says jai jai sai baba i am very about this

4 people like this.
  9. Saisakthi

Dear Malar Sister,

Thanks to you, as this thread emanated after reading you thoughts and worries on not being able to fast.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/p...doubt-thursday-vrat-sai-baba.html#post2424007

Hope you were able to decide what you would be doing for the rest of the Vrat Pooja, why dont you please share it so that others who are in confusion will become crystal clear to decide.

In the absence of the facts, we are unable to decide something firm, this applies to this thread and also to our daily routine and future decisions.

Thank you Baba for always guiding us.. Bow

10. Saisakthi

Dear Sister Sowmya,

Many sisters out of urgency to have some work done, make a vow to Baba and have hundreds of doubt especially about fasting, hence by Baba's grace this was communicated for each one to decide what they should be doing, Please also share your views if it were you what you would decide...

Best wishes...